California Votes for Genetic Mutation! Ban Free Choice!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HerbuhLovuh, Aug 29, 2005.

1. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

IMPORTANT ALERT TO CALIFORNIANS!
    Last year, Mendocino County California became the first county in the U.S. to ban genetically engineered (GE) crops. Since then, two more California counties and two cities have followed Mendocino's example, starting a domino-effect of similar anti-GE ordinances across the nation. Fearing the contagious spread of BioDemocracy in North America, the Biotech Bullies are striking back. In the past several months, 14 U.S. states, prodded by Monsanto and the Farm Bureau, have made it illegal for local communities to ban GE crops. Two recently introduced bills (AB 1508 and SB 1056) in the California legislature would make California the 15th state to eliminate local communities' rights to ban or otherwise regulate genetically engineered seeds. This "preemption" bill would overturn GE-Free victories in Mendocino, Trinity, and Marin counties, as well as the cities of Arcata and Point Arena, and prohibit local communities from banning or regulating genetically engineered crops in the future. Take action today to stop the Biotech Bullies from taking away our democratic rights in California! Send a message to your state legislators by clicking here! http://www.organicconsumers.org/ca.htm

2. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

whats wrong with ge?

3. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

What's wrong with millions of years of natural evolution?

4. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

because disease and predators evolve naturally as well

and many food sources have not naturally evolved to grow in some places in which humans have evolved to live

5. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

Humans could not naturally evolve somewhere that naturally had no food sources.

And anyway your logic has no bearing on the subject at hand. The fact is that the fat money grubbing greedy companies that push G.E.'s are forcing their way into homes that have no need for them and using their power and influence financially to make sure no one can stop them.
    So fuck you and fuck anyone who supports genetic engeneering on my spiritual life against our Earths plants and animals that have evolved for endless thousands of years alongside us.
    Some half-brained dolt claiming science is higher than god is not going to ruin my health anymore that it has been from being raised on junk food without oppurtunities to learn about natural spiritual and physiological evolution.
    Ever notice that the United States, despite its wealth and reported knowledge, is one of the most unhealthy nations in the entire world?
    So you eat your G.E.'s and we will laugh our asses off about your deteriorating health and when you crack we will teach you the clear light of natural existence.

6. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Wow, good for them!

I'd love to see some of that legislation come to the Midwest...

Probably won't see THAT anytime soon :(

7. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

Legistlation to ban your ability to govern your own life?
    Is that actual what you wrote or am I misreading?

8. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Apparently, I only read the first paragraph...because I thought it spoke specifically about banning genetically engineered food. I guess I got excited when I saw the first few sentences. Sorry about that...

*duh, moment*

9. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

OK dance on I'm glad it was a misunderstanding ;)

10. vimmeroony

vimmeroony Member

The GE issue frustrates me.

GE, like most things, can be very beneficial when done properly with the right intentions. I don't know much about Monsanto, (they're a dodgy organisation, driven by money maybe.. i dunno much about them at all..) But.. with the right knowledge, GE can be a great thing.

But people have decided not to understand it, and fear it. But i'm not surprised, considering that science is only talked about when it becomes political.

People go on about how GE is the downfall of everything, how it'll ruin the earth.. but people are blind! It's already happened.. what with pollution, deforestation, etc.

You'd be surprised at how much of the 'natural, organic' foods that you're eating has been modified anyway. Oranges and some other fruits are Tetraploid. If it was natural, you'd be looking at eating smaller diploid orange fruits. That's essentially a form of genetic modification through 'breeding' techniques.

11. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

I am aware of that. part of being an organic consumer is speaking out against the illegal advertising of organic foods.