California Fires

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

These fires have been horrible; a literal Hell, I think.

There are currently 9 fires and over 10,000 firefighters at work in California.

Fifteen Thousand people are under evacuation right now.

Six Thousand, Nine Hundred structures have been destroyed.

Two Hundred Thousand acres have been burned.

The death toll stands at 42.

You can look at the statewide fire summary here: http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/local-news/11609-cal-fire-california-statewide-fire-summary-for-thursday-morning-october-19-2017-destroyed-structures-total-rises-to-6-900

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Pretty crazy, hopefully they get it under control soon.

I was listening to a story on the radio this morning about how lots of the firefighters are actually prisoners (pretty sure it is voluntary, they aren't forced lol).

3. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Would be real nice. Parts of California have been burning on and off for a week now.

4. Aerianne

That's good. They need all the willing hands they can get to battle this.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The prisoners are being paid $1.00 per hour...

1 person likes this.
  6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't think they'll ever get it under control. I mean, these individual fires, yes. But there are much larger issues contributing to these fires--namely climate change.

What I've been hearing (which by no means makes it true) is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Fire season in general--not just this year--is going to get longer and more intense. Santa Ana winds are blowing longer and hotter (it's going to be 101 next Tues), the years of draught followed by intense rainy seasons doesn't saturate the soil as much as it allows for the growth of underbrush that will soon dry out, making entire mountainsides and forests into tinderboxes.

I don't know if there is a way to control this.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

8. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Volunteers are not paid at all, don't get Free living accommodations, and free food. It is 2 dollars an hour and the prisoners have a choice to help or not.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Yeah, those prisoners sure are living the good life!

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

also helps those inmates secure jobs when released.

2 people like this.
  11. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Yep they chose to help, The ones helping also had to go though a fitness test and they chose to help, wanted to help. People are trying to paint them as victims because of their pay, Funny that those people volunteering are not complaining, but people on the outside looking in are complaining for them.

volunteers do it for free. And I agree it isn't much but it offers a lot that is not mentioned to the inmates. Not every inmate is eligible for these programs.

1 person likes this.
  12. Aerianne

I have an imprisoned family member who works inside the prison for less than $1 an hour. One Dollar per hour is good prison pay.

1 person likes this.
  13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Some people are weak willed, get into bad company and wind up in prison for all the wrong reasons. Anything that can help get them back to a normal life is a win win situation. I an sure that the authorities consider carefully who they release on these programs.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't "trying to paint" anything. I had read it was $1.00 per hour and that's all I posted.

2 people like this.
  15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think neoprene hit the nail on the head--and the climate change factor gives you a sickening feeling in your stomach, or at least it does me.

I've thought about how each natural disaster harbors it's own kind of terror. Fires are really unheard of where I live, so when you say that they are a "literal hell", that really sticks with me. There isn't much that you can do to stop them, and they just keep spreading. Burning to death is unique torture, if one were to caught in the blaze. I feel for the people in that area.

16. Beach Ball Lady Balls

I didn't mean you specifically but that is how the papers and media is painting it. It isn't really an issue imo. They are not the news in this. The fire is and everyone helping! People are cooking food for those fighting this fire. Lots of volunteers coming together to make it work. How is stating inmate volunteers making are 1 dollar an hour fighting California fire important? Why is the amount even mentioned?

And if someone applied for a job and written on it is fighting forest fire in California 2017. They are going to greatly benefit from this, they will be called in for a second interview and more likely to get hired.

A friend of mine hired a guy whose application said, planted 2000 trees in one day. Lol.

17. johnlevy

johnlevy Members

That was a deadly wildfire in California[/url]. Devastated the whole industry. It will have a great impact on the supply of recreational marijuana.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, at least you have your priorities sorted

42 people dead......you might have to pay more for pot

4 people like this.
  19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I read that the fire season in Cali has gotten longer by 79 days since the 1970's, and keeps getting longer.
    I remember as a teen that by this time of year it would be maybe in the 60's during the day and 40's at night.
    Monday it was 80 degrees by 6am, got up to ~110 by afternoon and then stayed in the high 70's-80's overnight.
    I live near the area of the canyon fires, could see the fire glowing in the sky from the 2nd floor patio, we know people who had to evacuate, luckily nobody I know lost their homes.
    Coworkers wife helped rescue horses because they have trailers, and they lost one to the fires. Sadly some of them had to be put down not because of burning, but because of injuries sustained when they panicked.
    There was also a stretch of freeway during the second canyon fire were numerous animals got burned to death trying to escape the fires but couldn't because of fences to keep them off the freeway. In some areas they were cutting holes in the fences to let animals try and escape, but not always lucky.

also MeAgain mentioned to me that both Skip and HipChris had bags packed ready to go because the fires in N. Cali were getting close to their homes.
    remember them in your prayers or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I question this. Most departments run background checks.
    I've a friend with a felony and he can't even get work in a water treatment plant. Literally processing shit.