Calendar of pagan festivals

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by Gone and forgotten, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

We can get pretty close with practice

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think it's easy. Infinite just means never ending? I can comprehend that. Stuff doesn't end. :p

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

- Einstein

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Scientists say they can see the end of the kjown universe so it can't be infinite though it keeps expanding I guess it could be. But if you can see an end that that's finite. I think.

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

So what does it look like beyond the end that can be seen?

I think that's what Tyrsonswood means about being unable to comprehend it.

But I feel I kinda can, too.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dunno, I don't even believe it. Can see the end of the universe but can't take a photo of a flag on the moon. :p

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's weirder when you think that by "the end of it" they also mean "the beginning of it" since it took so long for the light to get here that it doesn't exist anymore. They're looking back in time.

8. I guess the caveat is that it's the end of the "known" universe? Because there's something called the Hubble sphere, the point at which all of the universe is expanding away from us faster than the speed of light. So I don't know how you could ever see its edge...

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

obviously they're not talking about 'seeing' in quite that sense. lol.
    one thing that does interest me; if everything is moving away from the location of where the singularity was, it ought to be possible to back trace its location.
    i have no idea if anything about this has actually been done, if its been located, or if unsurmountable difficulties might have prevented this or anything,
    i just haven't had access to university science libraries for decades, so i have no way of knowing.

here's my thought for what its worth; if you come to the end of everything and poke out a stick, what you're poking that stick into, is another everything.

10. Asmodean

We're also looking back in time when we watch the stars. Always found that intriguing. Old light!
    But although what's at the end of the universe (if there is a somewhat tangible one) was once at the beginning, if I was looking for one of those I would focus on the beginning, thus the core. But apparently there's too much radiation to get through.

Sounds interesting. But not sure which scientists say this. I only heard about them trying to get images of the core (start of the universe) but radiation made that too difficult

11. I always get agoraphobic when I go out and look at the stars.

12. Asmodean

I think it should be obligatory. Like, 15 minutes a week minimum

Driftrue likes this.
  13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Can't see the stars very well round here due to light pollution. Even if I go out into the countryside it's the same, as in the UK towns and villages are close together and it's really hard to find a place free of artificial light.

14. Asmodean

I can't imagine the english countryside has less good stargazing places as the Netherlands! Everytime i cycle from the nearest by village to my parents at a somewhat clear night I can see plenty! Of course its less populated in the north of the Netherlands where i reside but i would think similar conditions as lots of english countryside and light pollution

15. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

There are a number of places within the UK/English Countryside where one can find solace in both silence and star gazing - One just needs to know where to go to

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I meant really the area where I live. It's pretty much rural but it's hard to get far enough away from towns so as to avoid seeing a glow of artificial light on the horizon, often in more than one direction.

There are a few wild places in the UK where you could get away from that but I don't travel much these days.

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Asmodean for President!

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't think they're hard to find. My home town isn't THAT rural and I always thought being able to see the milky-way was normal, though people often seem amazed when you can.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can see the big sky at night where I live. Little to no light pollution.

20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Same. It's definitely better where I am now, but I've never lived anywhere where light pollution was a hinderence to star gazing. Except Watford, but that was only for six months. It made me realise there existed small children who had never seen the stars properly.