cable question

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Fractual_, May 24, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

so my new pc arrived today, but i cant use it since the cable people cant come until thursday.

i want to know if i can switch the cable from this cpu to the new one, and how would do that, if i can

2. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

I take it that you are talking about broadband internet connection? If your old computer is hooked up that way then it should be pretty easy to do the new one. On mine I hooked it up myself. I built a PC and then got broadband. I was mailed my modem to hook up and it came with installation software for the hardware (modem) and then software for the internet connection set up. I had previously installed Windows XP and the wizard walked me through everything. If you have all of the software it should just be a matter of swapping out the modem and and connection cable to your new pc and installing it.

3. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Are you using Time Warner, Road Runner, Charter...for access? You should just simply be able to unplug the cable from your original computer directly into the new one, and XP should be able to take care of the rest automatically. ;)

Anywho, how'd your purchase go?

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

im using cox cable/rca...

i tryed plugging it into the other computer but nothing happened when i plugged it in, and tryed IE but didnt work.

maybe i should have tried restarting..

the purchase went very smoothly :) , totalled out to 1200 big ones :rolleyes:

5. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What does the end of the cable look like?

Is it RJ-45 (looks like a wide telephone cable)

coax (round with a stiff wire in the middle, used for tv's)

other?

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

yea it looks a little like a telephone cable. has a little button you press to get it in too.

7. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

did you install the cd's that come with your modem & from Cox?

8. paradigm

paradigm Member

Ensure that your Network card is showing up properly in Device manager. Also, you may need a driver for the cable modem on your new computer. If this is the case, you can get one by going to Cox's website.

If you find a ! or ? in Device Manager, then this indicates a problem with the hardware cable modem. Also, please let us know what lights are on on the cable modem. That can be really helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

9. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

Also make sure your modem is plugged into a power source. That would be a really obvious easy problem to fix. (I did that once)

10. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

remove the power cord from the modem for thirty seconds. then plug it back in. that is what is required for my COX connection to switch from one pc to another.....

11. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Re-install the drivers from your Router/Modems, and it should work...otherwise, communicate with your provider and demand a rush on your installation. Tell them you own a self-owned business employing several people, and that if they don't install your hardware fast enough, that you'll forfeit the agreement for a contract with them that you had setup for them for 12 months. If they STILL don't respond, put your "manager" on the phone and demand (well, not DEMAND) that the installation be completed as necessary ASAP, or you'll move to another provider. ;)

12. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

edit*

just called the cable people, and im on:D

13. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

good job for doing it yourself!