Buying into Sexy: The sexing up of tweens

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Pressed_Rat, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Kris?

Kris? Senior Member

I jumped for joy when I met my Gf she didn't wear make up, she didn't wear sluty clothing, she wasn't "Oh mi gawd its *insert current famous guy*" and she was pretty.

I got in an argument with someone about the word "hot" I said it was superfical and downgrades women. My drama teacher comes over to me and says "Your a guy you say hot and blah blah blah" I looked at her and said No I don't, as i was telling them its superifical and downgrades women.
    She didn't belive me but it got me to thinking, in this messed up society its worse to have morals then to be immoral...Tweens dressing up like sluts. Guys now only want sluts because its pounded in their head at an early age and any female that isn't a "slut" is made fun of and such by peers.
    For example Lyndsie was getting lunch she had her Star Wars book in her hand, the guys infront of her said "star wars" naturely she looked up and they started teasing her and laughing at her. Why? Because she is't a slut, she isn't mind raped by T.V, and she can actuly read and enjoy it. Drives me insane.

When guys or girls do things like that to other people...It makes me forget I'm a pacfist sometimes.....

2. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

3. Amanda's Shadow

Amanda's Shadow Flower Child

I wear clothes that arent slutty, but sometimes my mom thinks they are. I dont like it when my 13 year old sister dresses slutty.

4. happykoala

happykoala Member

im confused....idont wear slutty clothes and i still get attention from guys......all need to do is wear something out of the ordinary, like a shiny green blouse.

5. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

My sister-in-law was going to get her daughter (7 yrs old) a bratz party van for christmas or birthday or whatever. She was in the store looking at it and saw that in the back of the van was a hot tub and a bar...stocked with martini glasses!

About the clothes-my daughter is 6...and I have a hard time finding things for HER that are "sexy". Underwear that says things like "boy crazy" or something like that....skirts that would flash people if she bends over, etc. What pisses me off, is that my step-daughter's mother dresses her in these clothes. She is also 6. She came over to my mother-in-law's house for Thanksgiving wearing a pink and black plaid mini-skirt (like britney spears) with knee high boots...and it was fucking cold outside!!

6. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

The only thing that really bothers me about the trend is 12-year-olds getting hit on by older guys. The average 16-year-old can tell a good situation from a bad situation, a guy who's ok to flirt with from a creep. But can a 12-year-old? Can a 12-year-old girl look beyond the flattery of getting invited to clubs by men 8 or ten years older than her and think "this prick just wants to fuck my brains out"? Moreover, I don't care if someone's 12 or 18, if they can't see the effects - both good and bad - dressing up to look sexy has on people, then they shouldn't be dressing like that at all.
    Fortunately, my 7-year-old sister hates Bratz. :)

7. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I think people take the whole "sex bracelet" thing too far. If you think 95% of the population of "tweens" and teenagers think of them as anything but cute accessories then you have to be out of your mind.... I used to wear them all the time, but only because I like bright colors. I had only heard in passing the sex bracelet rumors until the mother for some kids I babysat for at the time confronted me completely horrified about it until I explained that it was just something that overprotective soccer moms dramatize. Honestly, if parents didn't make such a big deal then barely any kids would even know the connotations.

I'm really sick of prostitots. On my bus, there is this group of freshmen, all 14, who talk about the guys they slept with the night before, how they're gonna get cigarettes, etc. Most of it is made up, but one of the girl's moms allows her to have parties where they all drink and this I know for sure. She once tried to justify to me that it was "safe" because her mom takes away everyone's keys of those who drink. It's parents like THAT who screw up their children. Most of the other kid's parents have no idea what they're doing.

I know that at a very young age I discovered my sexuality, but I never acted on it until very recently when I knew the implications. My parents have always pushed me towards academics and such, never really letting me get out much, but I still am aware of my surroundings but know my limits. I also wasn't spoiled rotten like alot of kids are now. It's really kind of sad to see how kids are turning out... Nothing grosser than going to a movie theatre and seeing a 9 year old girl with her mom, wearing heels, makeup, glitter on her shoulders, and a mini skirt on her own cell phone chatting away. Damn prostitots...

8. FaeryMoon

FaeryMoon Member

I think the sex bracelets thing is very weird. I work at a hospital as a physical therapy tech, (my other job!) and there was a girl from middle school that was one of the patients. Well, she told me about the bracelets and that they had just recently banned them at the middle school I used to go to! I can't imagine a school banning girls from wearing jelly bracelets. So stupid, but whatever. The sexing up of tweens is pretty gross though.

9. teeny_tiny_little_me

teeny_tiny_little_me Member

I'm scared to see what's going to be going on in another 10 years from now. I'm pregnant right now, and I don't want my kid being hit on and crap when they're just little. It makes me sick. It did when I was in school, too. I just couldn't figure out what was making people think sex should just be a part of your daily routine like brushing your teeth and stuff.

I actually moved away from the place that I'd grown up all my life to a bigger city a couple of hours away, but was still finishing up high school. I was in the bathroom one day, and this young group of girls come walking in next to nothing, talking about how this hot guy came up to them the night before and a couple of them took turns giving him a blow job. I was used to hearing things like that. But then when the conversation turned to when each had seen THEIR BABIES last, made me sick. Ok, they'd been knocked up...which you think would have given them SOME sence of responsibility.....but they go on talking about how they wanna "hook up" that night.
    Good thing that i was in a bathroom: I wanted to hurl!

10. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

The whole situation is sad, but it also cracks me up...because little girls are walking around thinking they're hot, when... sorry, there's nothing "sexy" about a little girl with a mini skirt on. And anyone who seriously finds that to be attractive...is fucked in the head...lol.

Also, parents who advocate this shit should be shot...'cause they're just as fucked as the people who find these little girls sexy.

Can I just say...I hate this world and the people in it sometimes...lol...

11. amitolawyvern

amitolawyvern Member

To me it is really strange to see these tiny tots in outfits I wouldn't even wear. I am all for expression of individuality but not at the expense of a child's innocence.

12. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

Bah, the world today disgusts me. And what's worse, is that all this is caused by the changes from the 60's. Think about it. If it wasn't for the sexual revolution, none of this would have happened.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there was something bad about the sexual revolution, but it's quite appalling to see what the capitalist society has made out of those ideals and dreams.

13. pixietreeleaf

pixietreeleaf Member

If I ever have kids I am making their clothes.So I know they are covered.And not inviting danger.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I would like to speak in defense of sluts and girls who wear slutty clothes. I personally really like sluts. The sluttier the better.
    But 12 year olds? No, that is just wrong. And yes, it is definitely the parents' fault.
    ...and some fault probably belongs to the meat industry, who inject growth hormones into the animals, leading to premature puberty in girls (and impotence in boys).

15. This has happened before, this too will pass, in the 50's believe it or not (Despite the wonderbread images we're given) padded dresses were marketed to girls as young as ten (I've seen the old advertisements, microfish {sp?} is magic) it happened in the 40's too, this may simply be a prelude to another iteration of the womens movement (god I hope so because some of the shit that is happening now...) SO we can only wait to see what happens, we are indeed active factors in how history goes down but there is only so much we can do, and hopefully the output of this particular sociatal occurance will be some sort of positive return

16. Zion

Zion Member

Briteny spears has brainwashed the youngens, Lucky we had ninja turtles and the cool Micheal Jackson as our Icons.

17. culture_revolution

culture_revolution Member

i have no idea how long those stupid "sex bracelets" have been out but i have been wearing the jelly-like bracelets for a while, i find them all over my room from when i was younger. and about a month ago (knowing that i'm 17) one of my good guy's friends told me what they all mean. I was so confused. But it felt good to be out of the loop, unfortunately now i realized that most people must think that, that is why i wear them. But i just wore them for innocent reasons, i thought they were cute. i'll still wear them anyway but maybe now they'll be buried underneath my other bracelets.

18. billisgod420

billisgod420 Member

ha!!! yeah nothing to sexy there!!!..............or is there?

19. rainbows`set`us`free

rainbows`set`us`free Member

Uggh. I hate this so much. my mom used to push sexy stuff on me and things like make-up when I was 9 and 10. I'm really glad that my gramma[The woman that taught me everything about hippie and why being yourself and respecting your mother(earth) is a greta thing ;D] raised me wholsomely and let me buy what I wanted and wear what I wanted. it's hard being a girl now, I'm 13 and it's hard seeing all these young scantily clad girls tha sit next to you in science talking about 'sexing' their boys over the weekend while i'm sitting there in ym thrift store jeans and birkis just writing about sunshine. But it doesn't affect me one bit. I'd rather be who I am now and hated than be one of those sluts and be loved. Peace and Love, great thread.

20. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

This is old.