Buying healthy meat in America

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by JohnFashion, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JohnFashion

JohnFashion Banned

Is there anyway I can get proper meat in the United States, and not the hormone injected stuff that the Americans eat.

Surely there must be somewhere, where you pay more for it. Money isn't an issue. I'm from Ireland(where growth hormones are banned in the EU) and I've realised that if I'm going to stay in the U.S for another while that I just can't keep eating this shit. It's the only thing that seems to be outside of my control in stopping me having a perfect diet!

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Most better grocery stores carry organic meat (beef, chicken, turkey, lamb), and at most public/farmer's markets you can find vendors selling organic meat as well. Or you can go online and find a local farm that sells organic meat directly. Buying it directly from a farm or farmer is the best way to go, since the meat is usually fresher, of better quality, and cheaper. Many farms will also let you tour them.

So organic meat is definitely available, though depending on your location, might not be easy to find, and you will likely pay a good deal more for it.

3. JohnFashion

JohnFashion Banned

Where do you buy yours so???

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Usually I get mine from the public market here in Rochester. Or I get it from Wegmans, which is a grocery store chain here in the Northeast.

If you live near a Whole Foods, you can buy it there. Trader Joe's also sells free-range chicken and grass-fed beef, but it's usually frozen (still decent, however).

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you go to localharvest.org you can find farms or fresh markets near you.

6. JohnFashion

JohnFashion Banned

Oh yes, whole foods. I suppose in America, most educated smart people buy their meat there... if they can afford it.

Since the only reason I don't need to buy organic meat in Europe is because it lacks hormones, means that this meat will be even more healthy so!!!!

7. JohnFashion

JohnFashion Banned

Has there been any outrage about the fact that it's mainstream to inject hormones into animals to be slaughtered? I'm surprised it's acceptable. Is it just more convenient to do it this way since some of the farms are so large in the US?

8. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

We raise one cow every year and a pig every other year just to butcher, we know what it has been feed and it is incredible the difference in tatse.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think there is growing outrage but I've found a lot of Americans are either really ignorant or just plain apathetic when it comes to nutrition in general.

However, since I first started educating myself on nutrition and food practices in this country, I've noticed more and more people are catching on and buying locally.

10. Poneelovesyou

Poneelovesyou Members

Most grocery stores have sommme organic options, but not nearly enough. I also notice an increase in resteraunts offering "grass fed" and "free-range" meats. Still not quite the same as organic, but its deff an improvement! Trader joes, whole foods, sprouts and all those places should have organic meats. ESP whole foods. But be prepared to spend your WHOLE paycheck there. Ha!