Buying Greenland

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by lode, Aug 16, 2019.

1. lode

lode Banned

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well the people of Greenland say they aren't for sale. Denmark is one of the richest countries in the world and has a wonderful social system. Not many would give that up for the mismanaged chaos known as America.

In the past the US did purchase territories.

The (US) Virgin Islands were sold by the Danish to the US only after a local referendum in which the islanders voted overwhelmingly to become part of the US. That was in 1917. Things were vastly different back then.

The US was in talks to purchase Greenland in 1940, but a silly little war ended that discussion.

daniellar, lion1978 and Flagme15 like this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What if they would be willing but Denmark isn't? I can imagine a referendum would not do it.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Can't afford Puerto Rico... wants to buy Greenland.

Fucking Moron.

5. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Puerto Rico traded for Greenland?

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Lots of potential undiscovered mineral resources beneath Greenland’s ice.

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Gunboat Diplomacy was invented by American presidents, and he needs to fly a few cruise missiles over the capital to get the point across, and start haggling in earnest. I'd start with a dozen cruise missiles and put a few predator drones overhead just so they know what's happening. You can't hear a cruise missile coming, because its faster than sound, and if you aren't looking directly at it when it pass over, you'll never see it at all or know which direction its going, but it will go right through your front door if you open it, and the living room window otherwise.

9. Asmodean

Yeah, the danish are not fools. The best Greenland has to offer is yet to come.

But what if in a hypothetical scenario the majority of Greenland wants to be annexed by the USA, against the will of the danish?

10. wooleeheron

The US dollar underscores every fucking major economy in the world, making all the other currencies look like toilet paper. You can argue the Japanese yen is stronger, but only because the dollar props it up. The EU is the mess it is today for the same reason the US is the mess it is today, because the idiots listen to themselves. The US already owns the EU and Donald Duck just wants to make it official maybe. I'd go for Norway first, they're more gullible. Offer them some beads and blankets.

The alternative is to withdraw from NATO and allow Russia and the Middle East to move in just long enough that we have an excuse to take control of the territory. But that runs its value way down. Congress would almost certainly impeach him then but, then, congress is becoming about as predictable as a bag of rocks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    WritersPanic likes this.
  11. lode

lode Banned

What if we offered all 60 thousand people there a million dollars each? We could easily outspend Denmark.

Then the majority of Greenland wants to leave, passes a referendum because they're a country in a Danish commonwealth or something? I admittedly have no idea of Danish laws.

If all Trumps ideas were the quality of this and Space Force I'd hate him less.

WritersPanic likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Me neither, which is why im wondering if they could be annexed by another country if the citizens of Greenland would crave so. I personally think not: Denmark decides.

13. wooleeheron

US corporations have attempted to buy all the water rights in some countries, by bribing the right politicians and judges. Greenland would throw them all in jail immediately. They were the only country to throw the bankers in jail responsible for the economic collapse, and decided they were better off not dealing with the international conglomerates. Their only exports are fish and aluminum and they are self-sufficient, but not exactly a thriving modern economy.

The US would have bombed them off the map, or threatened to like they did with Haiti, but they are so small potatoes they were not worth the effort. So long as they keep exporting cheap aluminum, they are the anarchists of Ursula Le Guin's "The Dispossessed".

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

nah.. Nestle plans to build fresh water bottling plants, and they are going to market the water as Liberal Tears.

Mustard Tiger and WritersPanic like this.
  15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

This is not a practical idea. This is the rantings of a narcissist. I can simply buy a country. It says a lot about where he comes from. It's a vanity project that does not acomplish anything. Let's not have some sort of trade deal let's buy. Sad people are behind this.

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

As opposed to conservative terrorism like a real man?

I suppose weak people cry, strong ones kill.

stormountainman likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Isn't that Iceland?

WritersPanic likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

One of them, people have always gotten them confused. Fire and Ice baby! Worthless fucking property, like investing in real estate in Amsterdam, knowing damned well the sea levels are rising. Maybe their Muslim brothers in the middle east will take them in.

19. I wonder how badly Trump's desire to be remembered is being underestimated.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

u might want to switch up your tackle.. your trolling skills suck.