but what about the PLANTS?!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by freedbypeace, May 16, 2004.

1. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

there's always the few people who attempt being airetarians.:p

2. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

I'm betting airetarians are a rather short lived species :p

3. Enron

Enron Member

Ive been told

4. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

Shawna
    Have you actually thought of the differences between growing plants and factory farming? A bean gets a chance to be a bean plant. Give it dirt, sunshine, water and it does what beans do. Animals on the other are kept in little pens, some litterally stacked on top of one another, fed dead animals they would never eat naturally, pumped full of antibiotics to keep down the diseases caused in part from the fact that they were never suppose to be eating the dead animals.... ARGG.

Laying aside a meat based diet consumes more plants than a vegetarian diet, laying aisde the lack of evidence that plants can even feel, there is no logical way to claim meat eating as a compassionate alternative to anything.

5. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

Jainism. The only answer. they do not eat rooted plants, they do not kill anything that kills the plant. they also do not kill insects for that matter...
    let me ask you this, would you kill a mosquito because it was annoying?

6. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Umm...if I say yes, will I go to hell? Because that's what I was going to say...

How can you survive eating like that? Aren't all plants rooted? I don't get it.

7. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

yes, i suppose all plants are rooted, but they dont kill anything that kills the plant, they can still eat fruit, tomatoes, beans?... probably, i cant remember how those grow, but basically anything you can havest without uprooting the entire plant.

8. HappyHaHaGirl

Oh... I see. That sounds like a lot of effort. :) It probably wouldn't work out for me.

9. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

true. in most societies... especially american society, it is very hard to live a jainist lifestyle. i'd say you'd have to grow all your own food, etc.
    though there are a couple of jainst... sanctuaries persay, out west... in colorodo i believe.

p.s. i forgot how to spell colorodo.... thats right isnt it?

10. HappyHaHaGirl

So.. is it just like picking apples and oranges and stuff? Where do you get protein?

11. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

beans [​IMG]. "I prefer a firmer bean"- my uncle

12. HappyHaHaGirl

hehe...oh. That makes sense. I want to try it for a week. I like to try things and see if I die or not. I haven't yet.

Where can I find out more about it?

13. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

you can harvest beans without killing the plant cant you?... probably... nuts too.

14. HappyHaHaGirl

I don't know. I'm a girl. :)

15. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

basically, look up jainism on the net. its a religion, so you could also take a visit to your local library. but basically, eat nothing that kills the plant, sadly... i dont think you can eat potatoes, grains such as wheat, etc. i'm not to sure about a few things, such as rice, and various vegetables. but yes, its pretty much extreme veganism. i'm actually not sure if you can eat dairy products, since they dont kill the animal. but i suppose that depends also on how the animals are treated. anyhow, your parents are cool with that, your lucky. my parents are the antivegetarian, they still give me crap about it. i think they'd kill me if i bacame vegan, let alone jainist/"extreme vegan". i know i wouldnt last to long on that.

"I'm a level 5 vegan, i dont eat anything that cast a shadow" - jesse grass

16. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

if you really wanna be serious about it, you could consult your local jainist monk, good luck finding one. or else, if you have a buddhist center, or happen to know a buddhist monk, you could ask them. they would know more on it, though i'm not sure that they would approve of it. although, i've gennerally found buddhism a very accepting religion, so i believe that they would. hmmm. so there.