but what about the PLANTS?!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by freedbypeace, May 16, 2004.

1. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

What about the plants? -This is so hard for me to be vegan because I feel bad about taking a plant's life, afterall, plants are living, too. In my opinion, we, as humans, see that mammals and fish are closer to us than plants because the animal cell is closer than the plant cell is to us. I think that you either have to choose one or the other. You would die if you didn't eat plants, nor animals. What would you eat, supplements? Like I said though, take cows for example, they look so sweet and innoccent, and some people rarely see them, while plants, we see every minute of everyday. That is my most logical reasoning.

2. cousinit

cousinit Member

though ive recently chosen to go mostly vegitatarian, I dont have problem with killing for sustinance, plant or animal.

Humans like most creatures on this planet are parasitic in nature. meaning that we must kill and consume in order to continue our own existance. thier is no way aound it, its our life or thiers.

yes its brutal but please dont beat your self over it. Its simply the way it is

3. Enron

Enron Member

Well, you could go fruitarian, but ya, i dont feel bad about taking plants lives. Sure theres the people that say "studies were done that prove they have emotions and thoughts" or whatever but their just plants.

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

One time I was kind of picking on a fisherman at this dock in Alabama about killing the fish....then he told me that carrots scream when you pull them out of the ground. I told him he was retarded and he showed me the list on the wall of people that had been banned from the dock for life....he knew their names and faces and everything...I was threatened! I didn't care about being banned, I just didn't want him to attack me with an army of screaming carrots.

Somewhat off topic, but I thought someone might appreciate it.

5. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

you need to eat. i tried fruitarian(which is what youre talking about) for quite a while, but in this world, you need to be a millionair or have a large piecce of land to do that and be healthy. think about this. diet is not an ethical issue, its a health issue. dont let ignorant loud people and thier opinions make you unhealthy.

6. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Well, you do need to eat something, if you do feel very strongly you could go fruitarian. But eating animals only adds to the plants that must be killed because the animals eat many plants themselves. I really don't think a plant or mushroom is alive in the same way an animal is.

7. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

No, we're not "parasites", we're consumers. We eat other things for energy, unlike a plant, which produces its own. A parasite is something that "steals" energy from another organism without killing it directly--things like leeches, some kinds of tropical vines, tapeworms, etc.

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I can see your point, but seriously what can you do?

If it's any consolation plants do not have a sophistcated nervous system. So they don't actually suffer pain.

As someone suggested there is always frutarianism.

TTFN
    Sage

9. peacegal

peacegal Member

Well, first of all you must keep in mind that we all have to eat, and if it's between plants and animals, I'd say the animals should be spared if you're most concerned with being as humane as you can. Here's why:
    1. The animals we kill for food all posess complex brains and nervous systems. They obviously have an interest in living and avoiding pain, as they cry out and try to escape when hurt. Plants do not posess brains or even an ability to escape when harmed, so it makes no evolutionary sense they should be able to feel pain.
    2. Both common sense and countless studies indicate animals feel pain. The jury is still way out when it comes to plants. In the 1970s, a man hooked plants up to a lie detector machine and toured talk shows claiming plants can feel pain and fear. However, his methods were largely debunked because his findings could not be replicated.
    3. A meat-based diet kills more plants than a vegetarian one. Animals raised for food must be fed massive amounts of corn, grain, and soybeans. It takes at least 8 cups of grain to produce one cup of beef. In addition, this argument makes no sense when proffered by omnivores, as even the most hard-core meat eater consumes grains, potatoes, and other plants.
    It's impossible to live life without doing any harm to anything. However, eating lower on the food chain, and eating locally-produced veggies when possible, can help minimize the harm we do.

10. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

lol that reminds me of Agent Smith from the Matrix for some reason:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet..."

11. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

Oh damn, I can't stop laughing! I love you HappyHaHaGirl! :D

12. HappyHaHaGirl

Haha...thanks...I wasn't trying to be mean to him...I was just messing around. But he didn't seem like much of a joker. He was like the pirate captain guy from the Simpsons, but evil.

13. cousinit

cousinit Member

from the mariam wbsters dictionary

Main Entry: par·a·site
    3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return

I would think killing for food would mean you have have dependance on something else for your existance. And weather it be cow or carrot, its is not an adiquate return for that organism if you eat it :D

14. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Ok...the way I see it you have two choices:

1) Learn how to make dirt edible, after all it contains nutrients and no one has ever claimed that it screams

or

2) Only eat the parts of the plant that were pruned for the benefit of the plant. Like when you take the dying leaves off of the bottom of a head of lettuce in the garden so that the plants energy can go into the rest of the plant, and not into the dying part. Of course this would mean eating near rotten foods, but alot of cultures do that..it's called fermenting aint it?

3)ONLY TAKE THE FRUIT AFTER IT HAS FALLEN FROM THE TREE ((oops, didn't mean to yell), and leave the seeds in the spot where the fruit dropped... the damage done by you would be minimal that way.

oops, wait that's 3 choices..but 2 and 3 both mean spending alot of time tending gardens. I'd suggest your own private garden, since you might not want to be raising veggies with love only to have people eat them while they're still living (ok, sorry about the thought)... I tend to go off on a concept. Don't take me too seriously, it'll land you on a shrinks couch.

I hear coolwhip is made out of nothing that was ever living;)

15. thetaintedfae

thetaintedfae Member

lol Actually you can already eat dirt. In a clay type form. The clay in africa contains potassium, zinc, iron, magnesium. So you could practice "geophagy". But I dont think I would enjoy the taste much..besides I rather like to hear my carrots scream before I bite into them. (jk):)

16. HappyHaHaGirl

hehe...but what about all the little parasites and amoebas that live in the dirt? Everything is alive...it's part of Earth...I don't think you can really get around killing things...

:)

17. thetaintedfae

thetaintedfae Member

Isnt that the truth! :p You just cant win!!! :eek:

18. HappyHaHaGirl

I know it is! God made it that way....as a joke. Apparently he's a funny guy...

I don't eat meat, but not because of ethical reasons. I just don't like it, and my palm reading electron thing doctor told me that meat stresses my body and brings me down, along with milk and some other random things, like broccoli.

19. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If a person were SERIOUSLY concerned about such an issue, there is a solution. There are some vegetarians that will only eat plants or plant life that can regenerate life from itself. Clear examples of these are the root vegetables (i.e. carrots from their tops) and the tubers (potato eyes).

This has never been an issue with me and I would prefer not going there.

20. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Watch this.

Well, you could go vegitarian, but ya, i dont feel bad about taking animals lives. Sure theres the people that say "studies were done that prove they have emotions and thoughts" or whatever but their just dumb animals.