Bush's celebration of "4 more years"

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by island dweller, Jan 20, 2005.

1. island dweller

island dweller I Love Wind

President Bush is planning to spen 80 million dollars on a party to celeberate his re-election, this money could have been spent lessening the already widening gap between the rich and poor of america or as aid to the tsunami appeal.

80 million dollars? thats a lot of party bags and one massive "pin the tail on the donkey"...

2. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Still a drop in the ocean to what they've spent on the Iraq war

3. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

Bush is sworn in for second term
    Bush taking the oath of office
    Bush vowed to help end tyranny in the world
    George W Bush has been sworn in for a second term as US president.

Mr Bush, 58, took the oath of office outside the Capitol building using a family Bible just before 1700 GMT.

"The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands," Mr Bush said in his acceptance speech.

An estimated 500,000 people have braved the snow and the cold for the $40m (£21m) ceremony and parade - some to protest against Mr Bush's policies.

One protester managed to get within about 150m of the stand, shouting: "Hey Bush, what about the poor? How many have you sent to Iraq?"

Vice-President Dick Cheney was sworn in first, in accordance with the US constitution.

See the presidential parade route

"The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world," Mr Bush told the gathering.

It is the policy of the US, he said, to support forces of democracy "with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world".

hands up who believes him?
    jaz

4. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

5. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

*look of disgust* you are joking right! I can't beleive that...that's just sick. 80 million......chuh i don't think i can say anymore that just makes me really mad.....

6. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

someone's gonna be drunk....

7. island dweller

Well considering that america's official donation to the tsunami fund was $150m (say was, because it might have been increased since i last read that).
    That $80m is well over half of that :(.

8. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

fidget biscuits

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I expect he spent it on a massive bag of cocaine....

10. Megara

Megara Banned

it was 40 million..and it was privately raised from what i've heard.

40 million dollars in one of the most expensive cities in the world is really not much. Heck, security was probably 1/2 the cost

11. island dweller

I said planning to spend, tho i guess it depends what sources you read, still however much $40m means in one of the biggest cities in the world, it still means a lot lot more to people who have nothing. And it just shows how much people think about themselves, especially those who are in positions of power where they CAN make a difference.
    Whether its privately raised or not it still doesn't take away the fact that it is a lot of money and realistically what will it buy? top class champers and Fererro Roche? maybe a car each for every guest or maybe renting out the entire floor of the empire state building? Whatever it is i hope he chokes on a king size party pretzel.

12. Megara

Megara Banned

You are sitting on a computer criticizing a guy who had a party after winning the highest office in the land.

Sell your computer and stop thinking of only yourself. Repeat for cds, movies, tvs etc etc. Dont give into selfish pleasures and help some poor people out.

13. island dweller

Well same might be said for you, since ur also sitting on your computer critising some small person with an opinion. As they say Practice what you preach, anyway it may be the most powerful country in the world, but its political system is a joke in my eyes, as is the Uk's.

Proportional representation is the true democracy.

Just because i am on here it doesn't mean i don't do my part for society...

14. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

These are good threads too start ? may have even been started before ?

Disguising your opinions in the amount someone spent on a inaugaration is
    lame ?.

hell lets even try talking about some of the things he said ? and compare it too the last one ?

http://www.voanews.com/english/Bush-inauguration-2005.cfm

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/inauguration/2001/transcripts/template.html

ok ok ok 40 million is a lot of money, but so what ?...

15. puddin

puddin Banned

Fuck, if i was ruler of America i would want a huge fuckin' party.

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

hahahaha me too .. I would have a pole dancing club rented out and a section for the ladies to see some blokes in uniform getting their kit off.. Plus a swimming pool full of champagne .. and a concert with all my fave' bands

' I'm comin' up so you better you better get this party started '

17. Megara

Megara Banned

No, i'm not complaining about bush wasting money. I an content with my wasteful ways. I'm callous, i know.

Just because bush has a party doesnt mean he doesnt do his part for society.

18. island dweller

i wasn't really, the original post stands the same it was about the shock of $40m on a party, in this country it just doesn't happen. I'm sure you can think of more intellectual arguments than calling what i think "lame" though.
    Overall i wasn't disguising my opinions, just adding them to an opinion that $40m is a lot of money just to spend on a party, but that i know its due to the American way of politics - big rallies, speeches, live tv debates, nothing like the UK's political scene. America is very 'brash' and outgoing i am not suprised that such big parties are held, doesn't mean i think its right though.
    Therefore i am justified in my opinions.

You are just trying to get people to poke holes in my arguments but not actually talking about it or comparing it, i see very few of your own thoughts, just links to the sites below, which may i add are hardly any of the most subjective news networks. CNN? suprised u didn't include Fox news in that list! Try some other points of view, maybe BBC news or guardian, i don't mind CNN or FOX as long as you have some links to more left wing or middle brow news networks, there must be at least a couple in the US?

http://www.voanews.com/english/Bush-inauguration-2005.cfm

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/inauguration/2001/transcripts/template.html

Ok so i guess in the scheme of things its not overly bad, i admit that, but overall i don't find it acceptable either.

19. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

"The best thing about bushes speeches is that they simultaneously manage to make fuck all sense and sound really fucking impressive..." - Me

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy