Bushfires

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Deleted member 313194, Nov 10, 2019.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I saw that and thought of VG and the HipForums Australia tribe. I don't know where you all live but I hope that the wind allows them to put out those fires.

Are they close to homes or damaging property? There hasn't been lots of coverage that I know of in the States, so I just don't know.

2. The skies in those photos in the links i have provided are eerie as anything.
    Properties have been damaged and there have been lives lost and many injured.

3. soulcompromise

I'm sorry to hear that. God speed...

Mustard Tiger and SuzanneAU1977 like this.
  4. soulcompromise

We have problems with shitheads in California as well. They fucking light fires when it's windy as shit.

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  5. That’s just nasty. They obviously don’t understand that what they are doing is more damage than good.

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

I suspect idiocy. :)

It may be someone trying to stay warm, but they don't realize that an ember is going to carry to a bush. It's all downhill from there.

SuzanneAU1977 likes this.
  7. It's pretty scary stuff. Like today for example here in Ballarat it's windy and horrible.
    It's supposed to be 25*C today.
    It's near the end of spring and getting close to summer.

8. I know the usual crowd will carry on but Isis have put the call out again this month to light fires in the Usa and western countries. I know they claimed responsibilty a couple years ago for some of California's wildfires.
    Obviously i don't have evidence or proof.

Mike Literous and soulcompromise like this.
  9. soulcompromise

I didn't know that. That's possible I suppose.

10. I remember a bushfire Ballarat had a couple of decades ago.
    I was still living at home at my parents place at the time.
    It was a scorching hot day about 30*C when i was listening to the radio.
    I remember calling my old man telling him that there is a bushfire in Buninyong which was just the next suburb from us. It was over near Mt Buninyong.
    It was started by people doing backburning and the wind took it from them and went away with it.
    It came up to our street and into the forrest that was accessable from our street.
    Dad and i had to pack the car with the cat, our clothes and some other items that we needed as we were going to go to our holiday house.
    My mum had already taken the dog and her stuff down there.
    We couldn't get to the holiday house until the following day.
    We went over to our aunt and uncle's place and stayed there.
    When we went back home the smell of the smoke got us.
    Everything stunk.

Thankfully everyone in our family was ok.

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

12. soulcompromise

:(

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This time was a little different as the Rural Fire Service got to a point where they just gave up. Told people in some areas not to expect fire trucks.

That is not a criticism. I dont agree with sending people, often volunteers, out to potentially die, for what in the end is just property

CO2 levels, rises in average temps is a factor, as in times NOT in a drought, all that vegetation is replenishing itself faster, which then in times of drought means more fuel for future bushfires

Thats just something that is going to get worse as time goes on; more frequent more severe bushfires

Theres got to be a point where someone says to these people, well, if you are going to build a million dollar house in the middle of the bush, then you have a drought for a couple years, well, what the fuck do you think is going to happen?

14. soulcompromise

I think that while it's the responsibility of property owners to remove excess brush to protect their property, there should also be efforts made to alert people to the dangers that wildfires/bushfires pose to them. You would think people would already be aware. But then something like these fires happens and it is clear that some people are not prepared.

In our case, the blessed wind carries embers from one burning property to a different one two blocks down or something. The fire spreads and it's awful. I hate it, personally. I'm sure everybody does, but I'm feeling less tolerant of it. It seems like it would be the sort of thing people could learn to avoid.

One example that should be made is people who habitually throw burning cigarettes out of their cars. This is problematic because you get in the habit of doing it. Theoretically you could stop if it's windy. But in reality, mistakes happen. It's windy and you forget. Well that's the real problem I think.

15. I watched part of a program on tv when over at my parents place that was to do with another bushfire.
    It was actually rather informative.
    It was on channel SBS in a program called insight.
    Really interesting.
    There was an indigenous bloke on there who says that the firefighters don't backburn enough due to being scared of risking a bushfire from starting.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape