Bush set to scupper climate change agreement at G8

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by lithium, May 26, 2007.

1. lithium

lithium frogboy

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Predictable, but hopefully Blair will be right about one thing - that whoever will be running for President next time around will have climate change high on their agenda. That's much more likely in the case of the Democrats than the Republicans, and personally I'd be backing Obama for the nomination....

3. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

What a piss off.

4. shedtroll

shedtroll Peace, Love & Linux

*sigh* Damn oil mongerers... :(

5. lithium

lithium frogboy

When's the bastard going? 2008?

6. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Presidential elections will be in November 2008. The new president will be sworn in January 2009....

7. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Yeah we still got a bit to go yet.

8. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

next election is in 2008, yes. so he'll be out of office come January 2009 ... not soon enough in my opinion.

It really doesn't surprise me that he took this stand at all. The sad thing is, with all the things that Britain is doing to try to even force its citizens into taking responsibility for the environment alot of it is for naught if you can't get a popluation the size of the US to take responsibility for what they do.

I mean, comparing my life back in the States to life here there are SO many differences between how I use resources now. For instance, even if I DO drive I never end up having to drive more than 8-10 miles to get almost anywhere I need to go. Back home, it was an 8-10 mile drive just to get to the supermarket. I never thought I'd ever only put about 2000 - 3000 miles on my car in a year, as the standard in the states for a year is pretty much 12000 miles a year and that is for a short-distance commuter or someone who only uses their car to get around town.

Americans use so much energy/power/petrol than a lot of other nations. I'm not trying to bash America or anything, but the government needs to be alot more mindful of the situation at hand. I've known plenty of Americans that try their best to use/reuse/recycle, etc. But it's like a thimble trying to hold in the water that a dam needs to.

If another Republican takes the Presidency in 2008, btw. Don't expect any of the environmental issues to change. It's only slightly plausible that a Democrat will give a rat's ass ... but I would think they would be more inclined to do something than any Republican ever would.

Remember ... no to the elephant ... yes to the donkey. ... and well, yes there is the Green Party, but unfortunately they will never get the Presidential seat, not until alot of things change politically ... till then they'll still be trying to vie for the 5% of the vote to get them recognized as an official 3rd party.

9. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

*sigh* so irritating. i mean, for fuck's sake, let's say that the whole global warming thing IS A MYTH...who the fuck cares, you're still shitting where you eat, wasting everything, trashing everything, abusing everything worth having until it's ruined and dead. people are fucking stupid.

10. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

i find it hard to hate .........but am pretty close to it with that twat bush .

11. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

See end of suburbia that pretty much shows that america isnt designed for life without using lots of oil and energy , which is a shame because apart from climate change fossil fuels arent going to last forever .

if they were wise they would sign up for anything that slows global warming because it will drive them to save energy and the most energy efficient countrys will have the best future .

12. lithium

lithium frogboy

Yes, that film talks about what phoenix_indigo was mentioning, the fact that America's entire suburban infrastructure grew up along straight high-speed highways, so driving miles and miles to get anywhere or do anything is the default state. This means that if we have to make changes which involve radically cutting down on our use of energy then America may well be affected more than many other countries whose urban landscape evolved more organically, where more people live physically closer to their social and work environments.

13. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Recently I have been convinced that global warming exists and will have devastating consequences to our earth. I believe that the way things are going, we will be left with lots of little islands, scattered about the ocean. And then eventually our earth will cough, cough some more, do a back flip on an oil slick and die.

I am not surprised Bush or America are set to scupper change agreement. They use more oil, petrol than anywhere else. I have been told that they still use CFC which was banned in 1985 for its evidence that it was making a hole in the ozone layer.
    I may be that because of Bush, future generations will suffer far greater than any famine or any country that is having economic struggles. Even greater than the poorest countries in the third world. All because of Bush. All because of America. In the end Britain will have to split from America trade as we will be on our own with the fight against climate change. America won't help. Who will?

14. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

you know, a wonderful thing is starting to happen, even here in suburbia, and i'm really happy to see it. you will have everything you need right around the corner from you. city planners here in fort collins really got it right. there are greenbelts with a fast track through the town so not only do you get a beautiful place to look at, but you have a very handy bike path to get to work or to the store. my mother noticed this happening in her city, too. we've always been in suburbia. it used to take me half a hour to drive to school every morning. how fucking stupid is that? but now, with people really starting to give a shit (and very many of us do, don't forget that), communities are actually developing. i fill my gas tank up once every four to six weeks. that's a huge change from where i started, filling it up once a week. and i can still be every bit as active and social as before. now if they can just get that motherfucking train system working along the urban corridor, great things can happen.

15. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

The attitude of the USA stinks in world politics and the sooner someone nukes that pile of pig shit into the stoneage the better off the human race will be !

16. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

US CFC phaseout

17. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I think in many areas the US beats the majority of the world in combating CC.
    It does fail in many of its supposed obligations as well as other large land mass countries - let them have their own agreements I say.
    What works for us europeans may not work for bigger countries.

It does depress me that one article could engender the notion the US does fuck all.

18. lithium

lithium frogboy

To be fair I doubt any of us are basing our entire understanding of US policy in this area on this one article published in the Guardian yesterday. Many of us are probably well aware of the Bush administration's fairly well publicised stance on these issues over the past 6 or 7 years...

19. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Yeah I suspect you are correct - :)
    You just do not see many [if any] articles highlighting what America does do - so forgive my cynicism.

20. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

have you ever lived/visited in America for any length of time?

if so ... you'd know why you never see such articles... unless it's a "America has made more guns/bombs" or "America has killed more 'criminals'", etc.

That is interesting KC though that in your area things are getting more connected. I know it's been awhile now since I was in the States, but in Rochester they had NOTHING like that. If you were lucky, and lived in certain parts of the city you'd have shops right around you, but in certain sectors of the city you were cut off from everything. Wasn't even a laundromat near where I used to live. Not walking distance anyway.