Bush ! A senator for life ?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by soliloquy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy Banned

Supporters of French President Jacques Chirac are pushing for a constitutional change that would make him a senator for life after he leaves office and thus shield him from the threat of future legal proceedings. By becoming a life senator, the president would enjoy immunity which would make it extremely difficult though not impossible to bring him before the courts,

Could this happen in the US ?

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

I believe that would require a change to the constitution, which would never happen for that.

3. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

In the U.S., being a Senator (or Congressman) isn't a complete sheild against either criminal or civil prosecution.

If I remember correctly, an arrest may not be effected upon a member of Congress during a Session of Congress inside the Chambers (if I'm wrong or incomplete on this point, hopefully someone will post a correction). A few years ago, Chicago Rep. Dan Rowstinkowski was found guilty of several criminal offences. I can't remember whether he resigned from office when he was indicted or found guilty. Either way, he didn't evade the legal process due to his position in government.

So if a Constitutional change is made to allow Senators serve life, then they would also need to include immunity from legal prosecutions as well. And both clauses won't happen.

4. Tamee

Tamee naked

I don't know, but I have a deep feeling that George Bush will definitely try to make it so that he stays in power for much longer than he's supposed to.

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Anything is possible when you live under a corrupt government and a president with near-dictator power (as he will have starting his next term).

6. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

He simply can't. The Constitution is very clear on this point. The longest any person can serve as President is 10 years. This takes into account a Vice President finishing his predecessor's term plus 2 of his own, as long the total number of years equals 10 years or less.
    Should he make the attempt, he would loose all support from the Dems (which he never had) and all support from the Republicans. He couldn't get anything done.

7. soliloquy

soliloquy Banned

If , as some people claim Bush can organise planes full of US citizens to be flown into the twin towers, surly changing the constitution should be child's play ??????

8. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

Cheif-Justice Bush . . . has a strangely familiar ring to it.

9. soliloquy

soliloquy Banned

Oh !!!! WayfaringStranger, your just incredible ?

Now put me on your list ?

10. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

I don't think anyone claims Bush organized the attacks...he isn't capable of such work. The people who run the show behind the scenes are responsible, he is merely a distraction.

11. Tamee

Tamee naked

Of course it's in the Constitution that he can't. Did you forget the original post?
    I don't put anything past our current strange government/society.

12. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine Sailor Scent

Shit, I don't put anything past our people. Religious nonsense and redneck "shoot em up" mindset is what runs this country, and is what put that country boy back in office.

I'm sure some priest will jump in and start campaigning for the senator for life bullshit once they get abortion and gays banned. As we all know, the rest of the cattle will follow until it's every damned person with a bible and/or gun is running around chanting this nonsense about "Bush for life".

Wake the fuck up people. Leave us with our rights and go fuck your bible somewhere else.
    "God dosnt approve of gays and apportion". When the fuck did you go and speak to him? I don't approve of your shit either, does that mean I should put my 9 to use?

Maybe one day people will have a mind of their own.

13. Tamee

Tamee naked

I have hope for people still. Something big is about to happen that's going to change everything, especially human consciousness. The main thing to remember is to only worry about your own consciousness, not necessarily that of others.