Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by hummblebee, Nov 1, 2006.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown

Anyone read this? I'm just starting it - it's one I've avoided reading the last couple of years because I didn't own it (and I knew I'd be constantly wanting to refer to it once read), but I just recently finally found a copy and started it last night.

It's certainly going to be a hard read. I have such a hard time reading about this period of history (especially from this perspective) without just bursting into tears. I've decided to give it to myself as a "homework assignment" and just make myself read a chapter eery night until it's through. I figure this way I'll stay with it, and I won't be too overwhelmed since I can still occupy most of my leisure time with more lighthearted reading.

Anyone have anything to say about it? Any other books to recommend to me?

2. ConeyIslandOfTheMind

ConeyIslandOfTheMind Member

That's a difficult time in history for me to read about, too. Especially the battle at Wounded Knee. Horrible, just horrible. :(

I hope you get through it, though. I'd like to hear about how it went. :)

3. Kaiser 4 Sunflowers

Kaiser 4 Sunflowers Banned

:indian_ch I'm a real history buff, so this book blew my mind. It also pissed me off so bad that I wanted to punch the first white that I saw. Everybody must read this book.:indian_br

4. sidreus

sidreus Member

Yeah, I had a very hard time with this book, too. My Mom got it for me a long time ago. I read about half of it and I still haven't finished it because of the emotion involved. I really feel like the Sioux had the right idea about the way things should be done. They're a strong warrior tribe to be respected and it's hard to imagine what might have been, how things could've turned out if white people didn't land here or act the way they did once they got here.

I'd strongly recommend reading the following:

*Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux, by John Niehardt
    *Rainbow Tribe: Ordinary People Journeying the Red Road, by Ed McGaa
    *Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World, by Ed McGaa

5. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Yes at last someone is reading a book worth reading, yes that story is incredible ! read it about 6 years ago.

6. waukegan

waukegan Member

it is a great book.been awile but i recall it's the chronicle of how america usurped the country from the native people.only way to see history.eyes wide open and with courage.not to back down from terrible truths.you become a better person for it....dee brown is not only a great chronicler of events but also shows a vivid picture of life in those times.life of the people including that of the armies involved.the goofy thing is .ive never even opened any of his other books.this i think i need to do.

7. icevrething

icevrething Member

This book clearly demonstrates the genocide that took place. It was amazing to read, but also disheartening.

8. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

Everyone on this continent must read this book.
    As for other books... hoo boy.
    Vine Deloria Jr.- Custer Died for Your Sins
    Ward Churchill- Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars Against the Black Panther Party and the American Indian Movement
    Ward Churchill- Fantasies of the Master Race: Literature, Cinema, and the Colonization of American Indians
    Ward Churchill- Struggle for the Land: Indigenous Resistance to Genocide, Ecocide and Expropriation in Contemporary North America
    Ward Churchill- Since Predator Came: Notes from the Struggle for American Indian Liberation
    Churchill- A Little Matter Of Genocide: Holocaust And Denial In The Americas 1492 To The Present
    Peter Matthiessen- In the Spirit of Crazy Horse

I'm sure I could think of more but I'm very tired.

9. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

Dee Brown is a very good writer. "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" should be a required reading for american history. A very sad story, but absolutely worth reading. He has other novels such as "Creek Marys Blood" which I enjoyed immensely.

10. VioletJourney

VioletJourney Member

I've heard great reviews about this book... haven't read it yet, but its on my wishlist