Burning Rainbow Farm

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by wrldzen, Jul 22, 2006.

1. juggalettejen

juggalettejen Member

Yep, I have been there. I think that i have been to just about everything on the web about it...

2. plumberjohn69

plumberjohn69 Banned

there is a memorial web site that i found that had a few pics on it. please dont missunderstand me, i too thought alot of tom and rollie. while talking tom and i found to have a lot in common. just a lot of personal stuff that i found real easy to talk to tom about. its still strange to me not to have tom to talk with. i've been back to the farm about once a year since but its just empty now.

3. juggalettejen

juggalettejen Member

I never had a chance to g o back to the farm at all, I bet it was just devastating to go back there. At one point I camped there for about a month, inbetween festivals, and I had my 2 year old daughter with me. Every morning I would sit on the porch of tThe Joint, and have my morning coffee at the picnic tables, while my daughter would have breakfast, and without fail, every morning Tom would show up with a cup of coffee, a bowl, and a box of raisins and a juicebox for my daughter, we would chat for awhile, about this and that, and then most mornings he would then take my daughter for a quick ride on the golf cart. The 2 of them always came back laughing, and having just a good time. I also remember Rollie and Robert sitting down with my daughter, trying to teach her how to write her name. It's the little things like those that have really stuck with me.

4. plumberjohn69

plumberjohn69 Banned

i went back for a while now and then. id sit in sherwood forest . it was too quiet. not right .anyhow great people and i miss them all. i lost touch with most of the people id met there but i did run into a few folks at hashbash this year. im still looking for hippy. if anyone knows how to contact him please let me know

5. wrldzen

wrldzen Member

there was a demonstration held in front of the Cass county courthouse on Monday. it was attended by only about twenty people in remebrance of Tom & Rollie...it got a small write up in the local paper.

6. out_in_the_sticks

out_in_the_sticks Member

i had no clue what the rainbow farm was or the stories but now after reading yalls posts im definitely gonna hafta read this book

7. plumberjohn69

plumberjohn69 Banned

If you know just a little about the farm then this book answers a lot of questions, and if you knew Tom and Rollie then its a very informative but sad story. When I was finished with my copy of the book I gave it away to a friend in cali and when he's done he's going to pass it on too. Since I posted this I have moved from Michigan to Oregon and its much nicer here. As much as I like Michigan Ive lost some really good friends and the economy sucks so for my 40th birthday I decided to start a new life again. Its worth every penny of 24.95 for this book. A lot can be learned from their mistakes and accomplishments. Good luck brother and enjoy the book.

8. out_in_the_sticks

out_in_the_sticks Member

i went to a website about the farm and started readin all about who they were and what they were about and it sounds like that would have been a perfect place to be back in the day :p wish i could have been there atleast to visit and see the place before it was destroyed :p im plannin on a huge roadtrip cross country when i turn 18 so the land where the farm was will definitely be a place i stop and stay the night at even if i camp it in a vehicle :p and im lookin into buy the book right now :p

9. plumberjohn69

plumberjohn69 Banned

The area around the farm is state public land. at the north corner of the property is a pubic access to a lake where you can probably camp out in ur car but be careful as there is a meth problem out that way and the cops do patrol. Your best bet is if you continue east on M60 there is another camp ground on the left that you should be safe at. If you need more info you can find and PM me at always420forum.com and ill hook you up. My username there is plumberjohn420 as thats my favorite hangout and im one of the forum mods. Have a great one!

10. mokie48116@yahoo.com

mokie48116@yahoo.com Member

Over the years I heard more and more about Rainbow Farm and the wonderful vibe that was happening there...so I went to the farm on a non-festival week-end just to camp and see if my friends would like it. Tom came up to my site the first morning and took me for a ride to check out the entire site. We talked for about an hour or so, and I was immediately impressed with how personable Tom was, him and his talk of personal freedom and responsibility. So I made plans to take a group with me a few weeks later, for one of the hemp-fests (Roachfest). That festival was cancelled, and within days both Tom and Rollie were dead. I didn't make it to their funeral, but did come to the ceremony that was held at the Farm.

I really was of mixed emotions when I read the book. Tom and Rollie really didn't deserve this...haven't met to many other folks that were as peaceable as those two.

Peace...j.b.

11. MokshaMedicine

MokshaMedicine Banned

I remember reading the story of what happened there awhile back. I was blown away. I had no clue there was a book on it. It's gonna be a definite must read for me.

12. Beatbird

Beatbird Member

wow i have to read this book!
    problem is i'm not sure if it's been published in my country but i'm gonna check it out.

13. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

Oh my god I read Burning Rainbow Farm when I was 13 and I have been searching and searching for what it is called b/c I'd love to read it again! Believe it or not nothing came up at my library when I type in Tom and Rollie! Thank you everyone!!! I'm going to go reserve it right now!!!

14. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024