Burning Man Festival at Risk of Being Shut Down Over Attacks from Gov’t and Police State 4/5/2019

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Apr 7, 2019.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I've never been able to make it to Burning Man, so I hope to make it for a few days this year.
    They've been saying for a while that the era of Burning Man is nearing it's end. I sure hope that's not true.

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's a fun idea but it got very mainstream. Like when the average person knows the name of it and why you go it's a sign. It's been a pop culture reference for a while. It got taken over by some of the selfish business elements it was trying to escape. People don't clean up even some hippies and now the crowd has a lot of selfish business man types. This is why many festivals even ones like deep in the woods still have people paid to pick shit up. Drainbows will always be there. And 100,000 people make a lot of waste no matter what. People want to party not clean.

It was not a festival you had to do every year for many people I know. It was overall kind of a pain in the ass. But, it was a long adventure in the middle of nowhere and that was the point. People are still going to take LSD and paint no worries.

djomalley, Flagme15 and Orison like this.
  4. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Go live in the desert for a week. Burn stuff and give shit away.

Sounds like a 1%er celebration of conspicuous consumption.

Flagme15 likes this.
  5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I always thought of Rainbow gatherings as the largest "leave no trace" events in the world. Not commercialized. They go on mainly on Forest Service land, while Burning Man happens on BLM land. And the Forest service has been engaged in a running battle to regulate them for decades.

6. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

when they start making one pay, I'm out.
    BM is not a leave no trace event.

7. jondalar7

jondalar7 Creating harmony on the planet

The problem with all events it what has to be cleaned up afterwards and the effect the group has on the rest of the area and communities. Burningmans leave no trace does encourage people to not leave anything behind. But some people suck and think nothing of others so many people leave piles of discarded items on playa for volunteers to clean up. Most pack their trash off the playa and then dump it in the rest stops and towns as soon as they can. They also clog traffic for a hundred miles in all directions. The agencies required to manage those things get hit with more expense and want it to be covered by the event organizers. That is all practical and the event should pay to make things right. Burningman is a beautiful experience, Some my whine about it not being the same for this reason or that one but you can make it whatever you want. You can live in a pup tent or a $100,000.00 RV with catering but when you ride your bike on to the playa we are all the same, WE ARE THE ART.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Flagme15 likes this.
  9. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I hope that it is.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I hope they find a way to be an on-grid entity...

11. jondalar7

jondalar7 Creating harmony on the planet

I think part of the experience of burningman is the struggles with dust, pot-a-potties, tents, no vehicles, pedaling a bike for hours as you tour having not done it for a year, no power, showers from black bags, techno music 24/7, cooking in difficult conditions, eating it with a little dust as a seasoning. Self-reliance is a key factor and some people fail at it. It's just camping in the coolest place on the planet.

12. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

LOL, there is no such thing as a "Folk Festival" in America anymore that is not carefully regulated by the Neo-Nazis. Rainbow Warriors learned long ago there is no way to appease the Nazis without a lot of cash. Being anarchists merely gathering by tradition, they have to invent new ways to exploit us for money, because nobody is in charge of a Rainbow.

13. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

@whooleeheron,
    Folk festivals aren't dead. There is an organic farm near me that has an annual harvest festival. When it gets too big, they take a break for a year and bring it back again.

14. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

You cannot kill mother nature or folk festivals, but they can certainly push them further into the boonies.

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

i think they need to buckle down and get to the business of finding stable ways for promotion and production.

djomalley likes this.
  16. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

The gov. Will shut it down eventually.

Tags: