Burn your own flag?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Trickster, Jan 26, 2006.

1. polymer

polymer Senior Member

breakdown of society is a form of revolution

2. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Or a change in society is a form of revolution, it doesn't have to be an agreed to thing either

3. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

That was my point wasn't it. Anyone can get elected if they are popular enough. So you have two choices....

1. Get educated, become a lawyer and climb the greasy pole to success or
    2. Get famous, get popular and jump the queue.

This proves to me that anyone can get elected therefore no one person has absolute power which means your theories that the people with power are holding onto it and abuse their power to make sure they stay rich and noone else can get in is wrong.

It depends how much you want the power for yourself.

4. RevRen

RevRen Member

... edited try to remove but i do not know how

5. ^^^

You can't. Next time, simply edit and type. "Please Delete" and hope someone sees it ;)

BTW: Please delete.

6. peaceloveandshrooms

peaceloveandshrooms Member

As a southerner? Dude, I hope you know that the Civil War is OVER and has been for quite awhile... ?

7. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So occupied countries should just say fuck it and move on?

8. In your case yes. Isn't your president from Texas? Whos running the country? I seriously believe what shes trying to say is that is the 21st century and there are far greater injustices than "who won the civil war".

9. Megara

Megara Banned

your country was a blight on the world. I'm sorry.

10. Slavery

11. Megara

Megara Banned

slavery, aristocracy, etc. a country stuck in the 18th century.

12. Yep...

I'm not suprised if they're still lynchin' a black folk down there.

Sorry to be crude.

13. Pinecone

Pinecone Member

Sorry.. This just seems silly to me.
    For one thing, don't tell me people died for a flag. They may have died for principles that the flag was supposed to represent, but the flag really represents a country(not a nation). I can't understand why I should favor my country or nation or any one above any other. Just for the fact that I am a part of it? That's silly. I never chose to be part of it. Give me a flag that represents something besides the place I was born, something that stands for an actual nation instead of a land border and maybe I'll give it some significance. For example a black flag(anarchy) or the jolly roger(we don't need IP). Those are the kinds of flags that have meaning. I wouldn't ever be compelled to burn them because they stand for real hings that i believe in, but even then, I wouldnt find harm in burning one if i needed to stay warm. And if the meaning of them got changed somehow, i would stop flying them. To me, it's that simple. It's just a symbol... If theres a symbol for something you dont like, obviously you wont show it how its expected to be shown. I kind of support nationalism, but not in the way of countries, only actual border-independent nations.

14. heron

wow, you're really fucking ignorant aren't you.

So, all of the "hippies" on here always say the government
    lies, and dont believe the propaganda, but you buy the whole
    "evil south racist slave owner" stories they told you?

I'm not going to get into any more defending, because i
    am sure you will call me a redneck or something intellegent
    like that.

Honestly, I dont agree with everything confederate, and
    if ever "the south rose again", i would leave. Their constitution
    is too steeped in Judeo-Christian faith, and though they claim
    that it has freedom of religion, i find it hard to believe since it
    is so hard down here already.

15. heron

Yeah, so are those damned terrorist arab countries. They deserve the tyranny the US brings them right?

what a fucked up justification Megara.

This whole part of the country is so poor because the
    Union made sure to keep our economy down, and caused
    the low living conditions many suffer in the South.

I thought the US wanted everyone to prosper, but
    they ruin economies on purpose for their own good?

And in your "blight" comment, i am sure you are referencing
    slavery, which many Union states still owned slaves, Lincoln
    was a white supremicist who used slavery as political leverage
    in the later part of the war, and fully planned on shipping blacks
    back to africa after the were freed.

England is another one of those special countries who never
    owned slaves too right? Its all the CSA's fault, evil southern
    white bastards.

If the War between the States was about slavery, the this war
    in Iraq is about fighting terrorism and liberating Iraqis, because
    that is what the US government says, so we have to believe them.

16. Megara

Megara Banned

whatever.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that the south couldn't continue its slave based economy. That was the only reason the south was ever prosperous.

Your economy was slave based

Slavery and the play aristocracy.

Lincoln was clearly against slavery. He spoke about that often. But yes, he did think colonization(sending africans to their own place) was the way to handle the slaves once they were freed.

Actually, England can be damned. They supported your ass in our civil war.

What was it about? States' rights? States' rights to own slaves.

Economics? The economics of exporting cotton produced by slavery.

Southern Life was completely and utterly tied to slavery.

17. heron

You are quite the authority on a place you do not live aren't you.

Slavery would have died out soon enough, and it wasnt the reason for the
    war. When on 10-20% of people owned slaves in the south, and most of them owned one or two, the whole huge plantation thing is bullshit.

And Lincoln said "if i could end this war without freeing one slave, I would"
    It was his leverage in the north. The southern states believed in the original states rights, and was against the tyranny of the union. The same things that the US was formed from England. Just like Bush paints a horrible picture of the Middle East, to make the majority believe he is doing good, Lincoln painted his picture of the south, and your dumb ass believes it, but i bet that you hate Bush for the lies he told to go to war.

Why would 80+% of poor white men go fight for rich white men to have their slaves? When the slaves got the better work that the poor white male could have done for money? He would be fucking himself. The poor got the jobs too dangerous for the slaves, hired labor was cheaper to replace. So wouldnt slaves being freed mean that more and better jobs would open for the poor?

Go read your american history book, study all the bullshit, it is the victor that writes history remember?

18. Megara

Megara Banned

Are you denying that slavery was extremely prosperous to the south?

He believed the constitution didn't give the right to force the end of slavery.

Tell me, why did the civil war start? You have pretty much 2 options. 1) states rights. What was that about? Slavery perchance? or 2) economics. What was that about? The exportation of cotton to europe. Who produced that cotton? Slaves.

Why do the poor always end up fighting for the rich?

Besides, you can make people do just about anything when you say "yankees are invading!"

Enlighten me, oh wise sage, how the civil war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery.

Look, i'm not arguing the legality of the war. But to deny that the civil war was about slavery is absolutely SILLY.

edit: p.s. did you live in the south during the antebellum? If not, please dont lecture me on being an authority on some place i never lived.

19. Thats not the reply i expected and I didn't think you were that ignorant. Tongue in cheek my friend. Maybe i should have written "niggers" instead.

No nation is justified in forcefully invading another. Just like the north and the south were unjust in invading the (in-sovereign) land of the native americans. Of course I think both parties should move on...but from what i see your cause is far less dignified. Megara said it all...slavery, aristocracy, rampant racism which exists still up to this day. Sounds worse than the united states as it exists today. Again, there are far greater injustices in the world...like those being commited by the president of your nation...who is, guess what, a southerner.

20. heron

Slavery did come up, and it was a part, but it wasnt the "reason" for the war. There were also tariff issues and other things that the south didnt agree with. THe states were under the understanding that they could back out of the voluntary union when they chose. I am not denying slavery, at all, i know for a fact it existed. I have the slave records and sales deeds of my ggggg-grandfather. Of course it was there. It was just as important in the north, they did have slaves, but were more industrial, and it died out earlier, which it would have in the south as well.

I never said it had 'absolutly nothing" to do with the war.

No i did live in the antebellum, which was the period AFTER the war, but i grew up here, had ancestors who fought for the CSA, and know what it is to live in the poorest, most kept down state in the union.