Bukowski And Sexton: Two Poets Most Critics Love To Hate

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by PoetDude39, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

I'm not angry at all, and jelous of others success? I find that terribly difficult to unearth from a post alone, and is far from my truth. In fact i find it rather pathetic when others get 'jelous' of other writer's success - that's just lame.

As to "So do you think you can do better?" No because I would never put myself in the situation of an alcoholic.

I admire his fame and how he has managed to sell so much, but am absolutely baffled as to why people would enjoy such literary trash. compare a story by edgar allen poe to bukowski's.... I think anyone [with some degree of intelligence] can manage what I'm talkign about.

Peace and let the opinions flow

2. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

You shouldn't be so sensitive, this is us just professing our opinions. Nothing to take with a heavy heart. And worthless information? Well you're right in a sense, we're not curing aids but we are exercising our free thought.

3. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

I guess maybe the fact that you came up with your own post about Bukowsk (in which you trashed him and anybody illiterate enough to appreciate him) might have something to do with my opinion? And the fact that you honestly think that it's impossibe to appreciate Bukowski AND Poe (which I do). And the fact that you obviously don't get Bukowski at all, because you're all caught up in this little elitist world of yours where you can casually trash a gifted writer (and his many readers) in one breath, then attempt to use an example of another gifted AND addicted writer (Poe) to further try and put Buk down in the next.

Sorry, but that only proves to be that you are superficially approaching this topic. And I actually wrote a rather in depth post (given its brevity), so I'm not about to settle for swift literary criticism that glaringly misses the point. Bukowski wrote as he did on purpose. It was a deliberate indictment of all the squeaky clean (and totally lame) academic poetry being published for centuries. He was an extremely well read man. And quite brilliant. So brilliant, in fact, that he has managed to fool you into believing he was the vulgar simpleton that often spoke in the first person it his poems. That was merely a device. Period. And I always find it laughable when critics confuse the poem with the poet. Have you read many of the insightful biographies about him? Yes, he was an alcoholic. But that doesn't make him a moron. LOL. Unless you also believe, Poe, Hemingway, Capote, Faulkner, and Fitzgerald were all morons. Because they all had severe drug and/or alcohol problems. Yet they are considered major American writers by many. Now how can that be?

I'm afraid all your petty and immature name calling (who are you to decide if somebody is unintelligent simply because they enjoy Bukowski? That is actually a very unwise thing to do, and only proves to me that everything is totally black and white to you. No room for all the wonderful gray areas). I mean, you have every right to dislike him. So don't waste your precious money on any more of his books. Hello? But don't insult my intelligence by attempting to state that anybody that likes Bukowski must be as moronic as you seem to find him. That is only getting personal, instead of being objective. And there are actually one or two quite scholarly studies of him available now that make it very clear that he was very far from being a moron. Have you actually read those yet? Perhaps it's just a lot easier to judge?

Alas, he deliberately set out to provoke naive and misinformed people just like you (Poe is a great writer! Bukowski is a complete fool!). To actually make people think for themselves for a change. And not merely parrot what most colleges are teaching. (I made the sad mistake of majoring in English.) Which can be mediocre middle class thought at its worst. Why all this need to trash him? And the people that read him? I mean, not just on my thread. But on the one you came up with on your own? Think about it.

Peace,

PD

4. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

"And the fact that you obviously don't get Bukowski at all" --- What's there not to get, he a a blunt blunt man. I hardly think that has anythign to do with it.

You're basically saying that any poet can...well to be honest completely suck, but is PURPOSELY trying to sound like a dupe in order to make a point? to make some trivial statement in the writing world? that's rediculous!

"So brilliant, in fact, that he has managed to fool you into believing he was the vulgar simpleton that often spoke in the first person it his poems." --- Ah yes! that must be it! *pardon my sarcasm* What is this the bukowski conspiracy? I find that hilarious.

Yes I have bashed Bukowski, not as a person dont get me wrong, but his works! they just drip with novelty. Anyhow I am going to smoke a joint it's a beautiful day to waste away in front of some buzzing monitor.

Ah yes one more thing, I appologize if i insulted your intelligence, which wasn't intentional. But my opinion on bukowski stands man "What ho! What ho! This fellow is dancing mad!"

5. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Just a couple of quick observations. Firstly, I find it ironic *forgive the sarcasm* that you so effortlessly put down Bukowski for being a moron, yet your own posts are riddled with many spelling and grammar errors.

Also, I am starting to see that what threatens you the most about him is not his so-called idiotic viewpoint, but his complete originality. Because (not to deliberately insult your intelligence *coughs*) too many of your thoughts on this subject are quite lazy and without substance. Just one last word of advise. If you are going to try and knock down a giant in the future, be sure and arm yourself with something better than borrowed sticks and stones. You have failed to address any of my questions, and merely do another hit and run number. LOL.

Yes, Bukowski has fooled you big time. Because you are merely attacking him for doing what he set out to do all along. And you never will get it. Because you are too convinced of your own laughable middle class superiority *yawns* which is actually the type of person Bukowski despised and poked fun at the most, huh? So I guess the feeling is mutual. Enjoy your superior *coughs* middle class bliss.

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."--Yeats

Peace,

PD

6. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Now that makes sense.

Peace,

PD

7. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

I type these replies in 15 seconds, i dont have the time to over think this crap or check my grammar, I barely read this post above. *shrugs* --- I find it humorous that you care so much

8. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

But you can find the time to trash authors you know little or nothing about in a lazy post, and even haunt other folks threads that actually dare to challenge your limited way of thinking. *whatever*

Peace,

PD

9. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

...I was about to post until i recieved a letter of acceptance into one of the hardest universities in canada BUUUYAAAAA! oh joy joy joy

10. vamfv

vamfv Member

Hey look guys. Charles Bukowski was who and what he was. Love the stinking pig or not no one can accuse him of not drinking.

Personally I've enjoyed listening to his stories on several occasions. At times a very real emotional pain pours out of his soul like vomit from his mouth.

At other times I've listened to him and felt there was really nothing there other than a pig full of self serving misery and puke.

Someone once asked him during an interview what he thinks of F. Scott Fitzgerald. His response, "I don't think of F. Scott Fitzgerald."

The fucking world can slowly drive a person plum fucking nuts. I try to avoid associating with the toilet dwelling filth so common in this world.

Wavy Grave once said, "I used to worry about losing my mind, now that I've lost it I don't worry about it anymore."

11. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

What in the world is a "hard" university *shakes head* Ummmmm, okay. Congrats big time. Yeah, you are a total genius. Without a doubt. *rolls eyes* Then backs away very slowly.

Peace,

PD

12. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yes, I agree with much that you say here. But at least Bukowski was honest about what he thought and felt. Maybe more intellectuals should get drunk, huh? LOL. You won't find that kind of raw honesty at most universities or colleges. They're too damn worried about choice parking spots and health insurance and such. And I used to hate Bukowski too. Until I did a little research, and actually learned a thing or two about the actual man. Instead of the legend. I mean, there's nothing wrong with disliking an author. But I'd never go so far as to say that anybody that reads an author I don't like is an idiot. That only makes me look like an idiot. Hello? So I don't suffer those fools gladly. Especially when they are too lazy and full of themselves to do the research. It's so much easier to trash an author in a three minute post. Sadly, too many immature ones seem to think it is the "cool" thing to do now.

Peace,

PD

13. vamfv

vamfv Member

I believe most people who are considered "intellectual" are not. Personally I don't like the word.
    Most everyone has occasional moments of brilliance.
    At one time I despised William Burroughs, then had an oppourtunity to hear what the guy had to say. Truth and honesty of the kind seldom given notice by the mainstream.
    As far as I'm concerned it's all about remaining true to your own sense of self.
    Supposedly thats what the USA is about. The right to be an individual. Sometimes I doubt that right exists.
    It becomes a fucking game of manuevering around the horseshit and becoming somewhat of a con man for the sake of survival.
    I find that hard to do.
    It is very very hard for me to be a manipulator or to go along with whatever makes life an easier experience.
    Lillian Hellman refused to cut her conscience to fit the latest fashion.
    Excuse this rambling if it seems out of the ordinary or off topic. Sometimes when I type the thoughts go in their own direction.