Bukowski And Sexton: Two Poets Most Critics Love To Hate

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by PoetDude39, Dec 28, 2004.

1. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Do you like them? Or maybe not? Or maybe just one, and not the other? I'm starting to like Bukowski's work a lot. But not too sure about Anne Sexton.

2. nocturna

nocturna Member

Actually, I'm a bit shock to hear that people hate Bukowski. 'Coz, where I'm from, everybody seems to like him. In fact, they like him so much it's annoying.

3. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

The above. I've only vaguely heard of Anne Sexton, but Bukowski is constantly recommended to me by some of the worst people alive (Antony fucking Kiedis, for god's sake). He sounds not bad but just unremarkable, and I guess it would depend how interesting you find reading someone else's diary. I'll forgo judgement til I actually read him, but one thing is for damn sure: I've never heard of a critic slating Bukowski in the last ten years or so.

4. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Okay. Fair enough. I just wanted to hear some of the reasons. That's pretty much all.

5. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I dunno, I haven't checked lately with the academic world. but if they can stomach Catcher In The Rye, which reads like the ramblings of a drugged horse, I'd be surprised if they were being snobbish about Bukowski. Unless he really is shit. All I know is, from all the rock stars namechecking him, I'm sick of him without even having read his stuff. I gather it's a bit like Richard Brautigan, right?

6. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yeah, I've heard others say that.

7. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

That's cool.

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I like Brautigan, but never really saw the appeal of Salinger. I had Burroughs, which I felt more at home with. I cared more about Burroughs than Salinger. Meh, takes all sorts.

I don't really read the literary press, so I've only heard journos talking Bukowski in other publications. But they're tonguing his ass proper while they do it, and there's not been much of a backlash thus far.

9. theforskennynors

theforskennynors Member

"i believe it in my heart" you are a loser, man. why do you people sit around and try to put words on why you think so and so is good? that's fucking worthless information. nobody cares. just post poetry man, don't sit around being a benign douche. you're worthless, all of you. bukowski was just a fucking american genius. that's all that needs to be said. trying to put words on critics? critics are fucking bottom barrell morons. they're just fans of the game, they aren't in it. you can all go fuck yourselves.

read "gifted disabilities" by Justin Blackburn on www.booksurge.com

it won't bite.

but you guys probably will

10. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Nah, you got me right. Maybe it's the magazines I read, but no-one seems to have a bad word for Bukowski over here; they either drool over him or don't know who he is. I'm just suspicious of that kind of across-the-board praise, because I think often it becomes received wisdom that you must like it. A lot of his fans seem to take the attitude that if you don't like his work you have no soul or something. It doesn't really endear me to any of it.

Sounds like he has a far harder time at home though. I guess only time will tell whether he'll be an unrecognised genius or just another fad.

11. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

LMFAO. Let me see. Since Bukowski was a failure at so many things in life himself (that's what makes him such an interesting poet) you have just praised me (and the other folks commenting on this thread) to the rafters. Hey, we thank you for that! BTW, I have found that some of the biggest "losers" in life are the ones that try to bully and intimidate others with lame ass insults and moronic observations. A lot of poets (including Bukowski and Sexton) write book blurbs and even literary criticism. Just so they won't have to starve. So get a clue before you attempt to make such an ass out of yourself next time.

Peace,

PD

12. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Not really sure if you're talking to me (or the Archie Bunker philosopher I left my other comment for)?

If it's me: Bukowski and Sexton are two of my favorite poets now. I would rather reread them than any of the poets still living and writing big time.

If your comment was meant for the Archie Bunker clone--I doubt it will do any good. People like that seem to enjoy sounding like idiots. Just my humble opinion. LOL.

Peace,

PD

13. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

He's finally starting to get some lasting respect here. So I'm confident that his work will be around for a long time to come. Actually, I'm a little more worried about Sexton. Seems like a lot of folks would rather focus on her life, and not on the poetry.

Peace,

PD

14. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

That's an interesting point. But it makes me wonder about Bukowski and Dylan Thomas and several other poets that drank themselves into an early grave. I mean, Bukowski almost died from all the booze more than once. While he was still a young man. And he often wrote about suicide. But many folks praise his poetry anyhow, instead of just attacking him for being a chronic alcoholic. Isn't that just a very slow form of suicide also? I really don't see a whole lot of difference. Plath and Sexton are still very good poets. Apart from the way they died. Just like Bukowski.

Peace,

PD

15. kidder

kidder Member

Bukowski is an absorbing oddity. From a Canadian perspective, he's a little like an American Milton Acorn in lifestyle and outlook, and reminiscent of an American Raymond Souster in theme and style. Bukowski is fine. He's ascerbic and has a keen sense of irony. He's also wonderfully personal and down to earth. But that's always been what good city or beat columnists are. Bukowski merely writes his columns more as poetry than prose. I enjoy reading him but he's not on my favourites list.

16. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yeah, I like him a lot. And he actually did write his own column for awhile. Before he became really famous. I'm pretty sure it was brought out in book form. But I still like his poetry best.

Peace,

PD

17. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

bukowski is a moron! The only honest thing he's ever rambled about is "Sometimes it seems that only the disabled and insane like to read my books, the ones who can't quite grasp Chauced [or Chaucer]..." my journal writing is terribly messy, so that last word is a haze.

18. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Hmmm. You sound angry. Maybe you're just a tad jealous of his success? Like I used to be. Except I'm honest enough to fess up about it now. Because if he really was just a "moron"--then he must have been an idiot savant or something. Because ordinary morons don't work their asses off for literally decades to achieve recognition like he did, and all this in addition to being a serious alcoholic. Now how did he manage that? So do you think you can do better? Then I suggest you go for it. And let us know how it goes.

Peace,

PD

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I like 'em both. Sexton is a little depressing, but I can deal with it. I wouldn't call Bukowski a genius. In fact, it's tough to say why he appeals so much. He's a miserable old drunken slob, and a real asshole to boot. But there's just something so genuine about him. He is who he is; he puts on no pretenses; and he makes no apologies. There's nothing loveable about him, yet you can't help but love him.
    Maybe it's just that our society is so hung up with politeness and on-the-surface niceness, that a little reality check is like a refreshing smack in the face.

20. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Very well said! And there is something genuinely refreshing about his gutter style of writing. I mean, if I had to read one more of those dishonest academic poems in the New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly and such! LOL. I think a lot of the harsh insults about him boil down to how elitist the world of poetry has become. And totally boring.

Peace,

PD