Building a new PC

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by DanHarvey, Jan 29, 2022.

1. DanHarvey

DanHarvey Members

Its been awhile since i put one together. i dont even know what the new hot shit is these days.
    Let me know if you are planning or have already put together a new rig and what do you use it for mostly

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

What do you have in mind? What are planning on using it for?

Mine is 3 years old and I used AMD. It was built for video editing, photo editing, games, and VR. It's stupid fast. For me at least. Set me back roughly 3,500 dollars at the time when I got all the parts to build it.

DrRainbow likes this.
  3. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

My pc/build(third) is 3 years old.........just needs a upgrade.More ram/mem,maybe better vid card/procesor.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz(oc) , 1080 gtx 8 gig, 16 gig ram(3200 mhz)..............so far no problems playing anything.

Not really up to date on current generations, i only have interest if im building one myself. Only advice i can give you is make sure you read up a bit and make sure you have a good base(motherboard/power), so you can always upgrade. Computers stuff devoleps so fast, newest from the newest is not always the best(i learned that the hard way lol).

Mzzls

colloquial likes this.
  4. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

One day NOT very far off, pooters will build themselves. We already have replicating microchips, the next step is HERE !!!

5. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

There are SBC s ,like the raspberry pi, and others.

6. TX Gentleman

TX Gentleman Newbie

My most recent rig (less than 3 months old) is an Eluktronics MAX-17 laptop. It outperforms many desktops in various benchmark tests.

Specs:
    Intel i7-12700H (12th Gen, 2.7 GHz, 14 cores, 20 logical processors
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti (8 GB)
    32 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (system drive)
    Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB M.2 NVMe (storage drive)
    17.3" QHD 240Hz IPS (2560 x 1440) display

Highly recommend!

7. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Unless you are a hard core gamer or graphics/video editor, just buy a refurbished unit for every day use. They're dirt cheap and usually just off lease from some big company that rolls them out every 3 years. After a few years, get another. They're not even worth troubleshooting or fixing anymore if it's more or less a surfing machine. Look at refurbished on tigerdirect.com or such. Computers used to be a big deal to me, but lately, bah, it's just a necessary evil and the less time I need to screw around with it, the better.

Bilby likes this.
  8. maelstromaz

maelstromaz The more I know, the less I understand.

This is an excellent site that helps configure a future PC build based on performance, cost, parts availability, peripherals, and best of all -- it has been very good at highlighting incompatibilities -- I've used it for at least 4 builds over the last 6 years.

pcpartpicker.com

Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker

9. Haydamaka

Haydamaka Newbie

Computer parts are selected based on the tasks you will perform on it. The price can vary dramatically from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, and if you're not a gamer or programmer, a small laptop should be enough.

10. Bean Gardening

Bean Gardening Members

I tried building my.own pc once. I had so many issues. As soon as I thought I solved one, another cropped up. That was years ago. I'm sad to say i just buy out of the box now. Less fun but more reliable :)

Echtwelniet and Moon Goddess like this.
  11. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Installing all the drivers/software/updates is where most people give up(sigh)..........building the thing is not that hard.:D

[​IMG]

(game)Consoles and out of the box multimedia............are slowly catching up to middle/high end pc s.........and it is more what do you want it to do or expect(gaming/surfing/social media/ect). No shame in plug and play.:)

Mzzls