Buddhism vs Christianity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Mindy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, you know I have a pretty whacky view on ancient history so yes I would agree that most of the known religions have been associated with war. They all believed in a deity of a war God, or warring gods and protectors that had weapons of war and if since I have dug great lengths learning about this I can easily say that the sectors of the ancient world were ruled by their individual gods pretty much all proclaiming that they are or were better than the next sector/faction/nation (however you want to divide up countries back then) and that faith or religion is and always was used to manipulate the followers into waging war on others.

This was at a time though when you have to sit back and conclude that at least to the followers, their gods weren't mere mystery as they seemed to appropriately be quite established beings in their own right, rife with connections and activities with their human followers.

So you've either had deities or self proclaimed deities using an advanced doctrine of religion (which are all similar) to facilitate war against the next faction.

Today we even say the Lords prayer just before we run out onto the football field to smash someone. I don't know much about execution, but I wouldn't be surprised to know that prayer is said before or after a criminal is executed either, my point kind of being, this doctrine of religion is like a big propaganda tool to justify absolutely anything you like, especially war.

But I feel as if the very end message of Christianity has always been about fear and reward. Old testament or new, we are rewarded for doing the what's right in gods eye and we live under the guise of fear that if we don't, God will smite us. Because that's what God does when we do not follow his direction. Sends his angels to vaporise cities, famine and droughts and when we still don't get the message, floods the world and wipes us all out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The term belief as used in religion has a specific meaning. It refers to the act of accepting something without supporting evidence other than perhaps a quote from a holy book or proclamation from a religious authority.
    For example in Christianity we have the Apostle's Creed which is recited to affirm the reality of the Holy Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit (We used to say Holy Ghost) and various acts and outcomes related to these three.
    No proof of the reality of the Trinity or the actions or results is required, asked for, or sought.

In Buddhism belief based on a book, scripture, or authority figure is not encouraged.
    A set of statements, guides, exercises, comments, directions, etc. is presented and then the initiate or person is encouraged to explore their reality for him or herself.
    The only belief required is the belief that if these statements, guides, exercises, comments, directions, etc. are followed, an understanding of their meaning will occur, not an unquestioned acceptance of what they purport to state.

Anatta, or non self, is one example.
    In Christianity there is the concept of a continuing independent individual existence, or self, that endures beyond death, an immortal soul. No proof of the reality of this soul is needed, it is taken as a belief.

In Buddhism there are many interpretations of Anatta, but on the whole Buddhism does not subscribe to the notion that anything is permanent, all is change, and all is flux. Thus the self is not changeless and is merely a conglomerate of the various skandhas; our physical body, its sensations, thoughts, habits, and awareness. None of these has an inherent existence, none are a permanent reality, they are all empty of isolated existence and can not exist on their own.
    The self, being nothing more than a conglomerate of the five skandas also is empty or lacking an inherent existence and can not continue if any one of the skandas ceases.

Now Buddhism doesn't require you to believe this, it presents it as reality and then challenges you to investigate the truth of the matter.
    So a Christian scholar will tell you of the reality of the soul.
    A Buddhist scholar will challenge you in various ways. If you approach a Zen master and proclaim the reality of the self he or she may ask you to produce this self, show it to him or her. Another Buddhist scholar may ask you to mediate on one or more of the skandas, maybe change your habits or your thoughts, and then see what the results are for yourself. How does it affect your concept of self?
    Knowledge of what the self is or isn't is derived from personal experimentation, not religious authority.

So it is with all Buddhist teachings.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Karma means action and has a variety of interpretations among various Eastern schools of thought.

Understanding of the word and its use requires a study of these various different interpretations.
    If you wish to take the common meaning as found in the everyday talk of ordinary people you see walking down the street, that's one thing.
    If you wish to explore what Buddhist, Jain, Hindu, Taoist, or other scholars have to say on the matter, that's another thing.

I'd be happy to engage in a discussion of Karma if you wish.

mysticblu21 and everything bagel like this.
  4. Whenever I see a news source or book talk about the world's major religions, Buddhism is among them. That makes sense to me. It's a philosophy with a large number of followers, like any religion. If you were trying to explain human belief systems to an alien, you wouldn't just neglect Buddhism. And saying it's not even a belief system seems untrue to me. It's not just the equivalent of people doing whatever they want to do. Otherwise I may as well proclaim myself a Buddhist master without having done anything. Why not.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  5. srgreene

srgreene Members

And just where, smarmy one, does the Koran say that it limits its (timeless, universal) injunctions to the battle against the Byzantines?

Hint to the Unintiated: IT DOESN'T.

MeAgain is putting a "happy face" on the widespread murderousness that inheres in the Koran- a murderousness that is not constrained by time or space. You want to believe your interpretation because, I suppose, that's the way you want to view the world. But that is not the way many Moslems today and throughout history, including their most influential scholars have seen it. You, you would pretend, have superior insight.

The lack of context in the Koran is one of the maddening things about it. Indeed, it was written in response to various exigencies of the day. But nothing in the murderous tract constrains its murderousness to specific situations. So you are being, not or the first time I would say, entirely disingenuous. I might make the (not original with little ole me) observation, "By their fruits ye shall know them".

People of your utter disingenuousness imperil civilization- but don't bother yourself with such matters.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I understand your issues with the Koran, but its silly to act like the average muslim is a threat to you because of it. Certainly the average ones in your country, who usually acknowledge and accept they're in another society.

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Honey, those fruits you're peddling are rotten tomatoes and sour lemons, and they're giving you acid reflux. Narrow-minded bigots aren't worth talking to. Go visit a mosque or get to know a few Muslims, instead of getting your information from Islamophobic hate sites.
    Answering Jihad: “Fight Against Those Who Do Not Believe” – Quran 9:29
    Examining Quran 9:29 – Islam Sanction The Killing Of Christians & Jews? - Religion - Nigeria
    Examining Quran 9:29 – Does Islam Sanction The Killing Of Christians & Jews?
    Or why not take your jihad to the Muslim forum? These poor Buddhists must be scratching their heads about why a Christian is peddling anti-Muslim hate here.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  9. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Thanks for pointing this out. Karma is often misunderstood. People often speak about it as if it is some mystical supernatural force that causes the universe to punish people for their misdeeds when it's not that at all.

You make your own karma, folks. That's why everything you say and do matters. So make it positive :)

mysticblu21 and MeAgain like this.
  10. It's so dumb to just be positive about everything all the time.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  11. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Sorry you feel that way. I want good karma so I will try and radiate positiveness into the world.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  12. That's such a fake attitude.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think its ment like be positive about stuff in an irrational way.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  14. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Also, I said make everything you say and do positive and not be positive all the time. We're human. We can't be positive all the time.

Also, it's no more real or fake than being negative about everything all the time

mysticblu21 likes this.
  15. It's bullshit to govern yourself.

16. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

If we were better at governing ourselves, there would be less need for politicians to get together and do it for us

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Karma?
    I'm all about Karma.
    :D
    I awake less than 3 feet from my bed
    And old cardboard box
    No shoes no socks
    But lots of karma!
    I'm grimey stylin
    Give no fuck yo I'm out here trying
    I gots no bones
    I got no home
    I'm just happy to be alive and checking pay phones
    For a quarter over here
    A nickel over there
    Flat broke but I got a lotta karma to share!

I can make a mountain get up and move out my way
    Hear that paradise has offered me a place to stay
    I don't waste a day and I won't stall for nothing
    I'm a karma millionaire I'm always happy about something
    I say live out your days cause you ain't getting shit back
    Bitch around me will only get you your lip smacked
    Karma over any drug dealer supply
    Cause I can do anything with it except die

The bail man's trying find me while I'm deep within thought
    And I bounce my feet every time a car pass with the bumps
    I'm the hobo with all the jokes to tell
    Full of karma through the roof and I'm broke as hell.
    Whether the life slows down, or if it throws down,
    I'm beaming karma and I'm glad to be around,
    This city get cold as ice, I'm out there,
    But my karma keep me warm like some thermal underwear.

I'm all about karma, if I'm about something
    Ain't nobody placed on this earth for nothin
    Watch me get to it, get on it, get live
    But I'm still alive, and I'm so alive.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  18. IAmMaxieHearMeRoar

IAmMaxieHearMeRoar Maxie Lee Courtland-Colton

Grew up in a Christian family but I didn't like how judgmental it was. That's why I turned to Buddhism when I was 20 and haven't looked back.

mysticblu21 likes this.