buddhism and marijuana

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by andrew998, May 14, 2007.

1. Mattk25

Mattk25 Member

Wow this thread is getting ridiculous. The only answer anyone is really ever going to accept is do in your mind what you feel is right. Is smoking cannabis truly bad in and of itself? I beleive no. Whats bad is abusing it, smoking when angry to get away from the anger, when sad to get away from the sadness and so on. You need to live your own life and learn to overcome bad times throught your own mental struggle. You will know deep down in your gut if your a good moral person or not, do what you truly beleive is right and be open minded to others. Their is no wrong or right path, only wrong and right guidelines.

2. stev90

stev90 Banned

If smoking marijuana is bad, then religion can be considered a drug as well.
    Perhaps, a "good" drug for some, but a drug, nonetheless.

After all, it was Mao who once said, "Religion is the opium of the masses."

3. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

that wasn't mao, it was groucho marx

4. stev90

stev90 Banned

Tom Robbins, goes further, he says:

"Not only is religion, the opium of the masses, it's the cyanide."

:leaving:

5. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Man, so many doctrines about how to act and what to avoid... might as well give me a blueprint on how to live and think.

I think the meaning behind Buddha's message is that everything he is saying should eventually be ridiculed and dismissed... well, pretty much everything - Everything but the main message, which is how you come across truth.

6. cosmic jackie

cosmic jackie Member

I think that as long as it doesn't make you braindead, & opens your mind, than yeah it's totally cool.
    If your the type of person that gets stoned & contemplates religion & other things, then it's only helping you by opening your mind.
    On the other hand, if your the person, who gets high & just gets real stupid.. i don't see it helping in reaching any enlightment.

I'm very very into Buddhist philosophy, as well as an habitual smoker haha, soo...

peace, love & happiness
    jackie

7. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

Jackie, that is sooo true. Weed opens up my mind... its made me such a spiritual person.

8. SlydeHippie

SlydeHippie Banned

Bottom line is, if you want to be a Buddhist, you don't drink or smoke; Period.

I personally am fond of the Buddhist ways, but do not consider myself one.
    I meditate and I smoke.

It isn't relevant to all those in here saying that it's ok to smoke Weed. It's ok FOR YOU, and not the Buddhists.

End of story.

9. XBloodyNailPolishX

Buddhism can be manifested in any number of ways... saying that one path is the "One True path" sure does sound Christian, eh? Not leaving room for exploration or diversity... everyone can follow the path to become a buddha, which literally means "Enlightened One". And I'm sure there are plenty of ways to become enlightened.
    Buddhism is named after Buddha, and Buddha means enlightened one. Buddhism isn't about worshipping the Buddha and being exactly like him so you go off to enlightenment (like emulating Jesus to go to heaven)... Buddhism is a teaching on enlightenment, and there are many, many paths to enlightenment. Its the conservative fundies who want to force you into going their way and not learning for yourself.

10. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

bah. "buddhist." another meaningless label. as with any belief, buddhism has a wide variety of interpretations and practices. what is interesting to me, and draws me to buddhism, is that so many of the principles can be applied to run of the mill John Smith and it would improve his life.

nailpolish said it really well. it's not about mimicking the Buddha, it's about enlightenment, which to me means true happiness.

11. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I don't know, enlightenment means awakening rather than happiness. Happiness is a result of awakening but not awakening itself. Once we see what is, happiness will quickly follow.

Peace and love

12. XBloodyNailPolishX

if anything, marijuana aids enlightenment, aids opening your mind, aids the awakening.

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

But surely happiness is the opposite of misery and so part of the relativistic world, the samsara? Isn't that the idea of Buddhism? To get beyond all dualities such as happiness and distress?

14. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

The happiness I refer to is not one based on anything outside yourself. Awakening to what is brings bliss or happiness beyond the dualistic mind. Acceptance of everything- how can one be unhappy when one sees everything as it is?

You get in a situation and neither judge it good nor bad. You accept it w/o rejecting or wanting something other than what is. Acceptance brings joy when you see what is and don't feel the need to change it.

Peace and love

15. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I just don't see that there can be happiness without unhappiness. The two are like sides of the same coin.

Just because it has an inner cause doesn't mean it's beyond the play of opposites surely - one could also I assume become unhappy as a result of something seen within.

Seeing things as they are might also lead to unhappiness, because one would see the untold suffering of millions, so it might be a somewhat selfish kind of happiness - or disregard?

I don't know enough about Buddhism to come up with the right termionology, but in Hinduism, it is said that after liberation one experiences ananda (bliss) - however that isn't what we think of as happiness in the usual sense.

16. XBloodyNailPolishX

I think if anything marijuana should be embraced a vital tool towards enlightenment and liberation. There should be a branch of Buddhism for stoners!! A Yoga dedicated to reacing enlightenment through smoking; Marijuana Yoga...

17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

There is a Yoga for Stoners. But it's not Buddhist. It's Hindu.

I suggest those who really want to "worship" marijuana become a sadhu like this gentleman here:

[​IMG]

Sadhus worship Shiva and smoke ganja. They wear their hair in dreadlocks.

They smoke day and night. Sound familiar?

As has been said before there are many paths to enlightenment.

Cannabis is a very special plant to humanity, a "gift of the Gods" some say.

But for strict followers of the Buddhist traditions it's a no-no.

But like an enlightened friend of mine says, "It's just light going into light."

And as some have testified here in this thread, marijuana and other psychedelics open doors to self-realization that were sealed shut by our society.

Just look at Ram Dass. Would he have achieved any enlightenment if he hadn't done mushrooms and LSD with Leary at Harvard?

I believe in the Western world we have a different approach to Buddhist teachings. Coming into this with a Western mindset means we have more difficulty accepting some of the teachings.

This fact is crucial in understanding the role certain drugs have in opening our minds and re-writing our program.

Studies have shown that marijuana may indeed help us to restore the "balance" in our brain chemicals. A balance that is "natural", but has been thrown out of whack by our intense modern society.

Balance is a key concept in Dzogchen practice. While it's not prescribed to indulge in marijuana, it may be key for some people to allow a state where meditation can take place.

When you consider how difficult it is for many, esp. those in cities, to find a space to meditate without the surrounding distractions, you can forgive those who seek to mediate with the help of cannabis.

Indeed when you consider the POSITIVE effects upon the human psyche of cannabis ingestion, you realize that most of those effects are similar to a state of samadhi.

Indeed, the THC experience is one of unity with all things. One becomes far less egotistical, much more reflective, less aggressive and of course much happier, for awhile anyways.

The biggest flaw in the drug experience, regardless of what drug is taken, is that the "enlightenment" is only temporary, not permanent.

This was Ram Dass' main criticism of LSD. You eventually have to come back down and it's no fun...

But! The door has been opened and your mind now knows there are higher states to be attained, and that's why so many trippers/stoners seek out a religion or belief system that jives with their drug experiences.

You can say they "crave" the sensory experience and thus are never going to achieve permanent enlightenment. This may be true, but nevertheless they have definitely been "enlightened" by the process, and are much better off for the experience.

I would say there is a definite difference between USE and ABUSE. If you use a drug with perfect awareness of why you are using it, as opposed to using it unconsciously, you are practicing Buddhism because your awareness has extended to that behavior.

Yes, you may be creating karma, but at least you're doing it consciously.

And to me the benefits of marijuana use are visible in the behavior of those enlightened users (as opposed to abusers).

Marijuana users are:
    1. Peaceful, non-aggressive.
    2. More considerate, more careful in their actions (like driving a car).
    3. Nature loving, more at one with nature.
    4. More loving and more responsive to love.
    5. Happy.

Now if that short list (there are more things I could add) doesn't sound like Buddha-mind, I don't know what does.

Again, dzogchen is about attaining oneness, samadhi and marijuana seems to help one to achieve that if only temporarily.

Your comments?

18. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I agree Skip, I mean really, has anyone ever read the Surangama Sutra, and not realized the very close relatinship between Inner Radiance and Psychedelic drugs? Come on. For example :
    "...Insubstantial and empty as blossoms in the sky"
    Sounds like two psychedelic effects, the emptyness or 'void' of ego death, and the reported lingering effects on the mind known today as HPPD, causing distortions in perception and confusion, the most commonly shared being "Colorful circles or spots in the sky".
    Coincidence? Perhaps but ok whatever. How about the descriptions of enlightenment, when the entire assembly turns on to samadhi, colourful rays of light projected from the Ten quarters of the universe from the Buddhas, light emanating from out the Blessed Lords forehead, the assembly basking in awe at the Buddhas immense enlightenment. Sounds like a dose of magic mushrooms may have been poured in their tea but ok, maybe that is a coincidence as well.
    And dont even get me started on the subtle resonating vibrations that sound up in the body and mind during psychedelic trips reagarding Hinduism. Anyone who thinks that the depictions of Parvati's child in one hand, knife in the other, or Brahma, or 4 armed god's are not completley vibing with mushrooms or the potential 'soma' are either ignorant regarding psychedelic drugs, or place the concept of 'sacred' a little to high on the list.
    I cant speak for most people obviously, but there is a reason that I went from an atheist with an additude to a peace love believer in God in one moment as short as an eye flutter while on magic mushrooms.

19. sangharyan

sangharyan Member

I feel this topic is quite simple. If you want to smoke pot, smoke it. As long as you understand that you are ultimately denying yourself the possibility of true liberation of mind. You may feel that you have better concentration, but when you sit down and try to meditate under the influence of marijuana it is much harder. I personally couldn't imagine any substance giving me more of a "high" than a good session on my cushion. So it's just a matter of personal preference, if your happy in samsara then by all means smoke. If you are tired of this world and all it's suffering and would like to be truly elevated to a higher plain of existance then I recommend meditation as opposed to smoking. And if you feel you need to smoke marijuana in order to be kind, then you should seriously consider meditating on that. And if you aren't interested in someones opinion, then listen to Lord Buddha. Stay mindful, avoid everything that makes you think you need it. Peace and much metta to all

20. sangharyan

sangharyan Member

Wow, what would have given you that impression. Christianity is a matter faith, buddhism is a matter of personal experience. Lord Buddha never used the "closed fist" method of preaching. He simply said "Do not worship me, do not take my word on anything, simply test out what has worked for me and see if it works for you." If it works for you great, if not, toss it aside. Lord Buddha did not say, "Either you do what I say and you'll be born into eternal bliss, or don't listen to me and burn in an eternal hell." I truly hope if you feel Buddhism is similar to christianity you will take time to educate yourself a bit more on the topic. Much metta