buddhism and marijuana

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by andrew998, May 14, 2007.

1. KiddieP

KiddieP Member

i dunno. i don't think so. it's tough 2 say. i can't be completely sure about that.

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Pot is illegal, so it can lead to jail. If you consider the basic non-dual nature of things then this does mean that the times are reinforcing that the mysteries of pot are too much for some, and actually while I personally find pot to not be so destructive, that's not true of all people as it does exacerbate mental illness, and can flip the switch for some between normalcy and insanity. Seems hard to believe I know.

Illegality aside, pot clouds judgement, and while it may feel good, here is really the key issue, and that is that all of life is suffering, and there is no escape from that fact except through the effort of meditation in a bona fide path.

Moreover, in terms of karma, ones karma is as ones money is spent. Weed prices continue to go up and so does the strength. At some point the drug seeking behaviour itself becomes anathema to life and progress. At that point you are not living The Dharma any longer.

That is, if you ever lived it in the first place. Just sitting around stoned and feeling swell is not liberation, nor even a close start.

Finally there is this. If one is on the path of liberation then life brings one things and situations where one can benefit others and develop better karma, so as to take a better future rebirth, or even get freed from this place. If one is getting stoned tand that is their only interest then one cannot really hope to make a better situation for themself or others.

One teacher has said that drug abuse leads to rebirth with mental damage or as an animal, automatically. While if one engages in the process of dealing then one is layering ropes about oneself that they may never be able to undo. Not to mention if one is thinking they can be some sort of Thug and a Buddhist then they are dead wrong.

Lastly, drug seeking behaviour is the ipso facto form of craving which leads to downfalls in ones Buddhist considerations.

Maybe if one lives in Nepal, things are different. Then at least pot is not illegal, and one can hang out with Shivittes.

3. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I used to smoke loads of dope. Until I had an awakenign where I was smothering in hellish realms. It got to where I couldn't 'get high' any longer. So now I am clean and clear. I feel strongly that others who are as committed to enlightenment as myself will experience something similar. Eventually. It took me twenty years to wake up and see that I was wasting time and money and resources and karma.

4. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

buddhist believe in not killing sentient beings and so try not to kill any bugs when harvesting mary jane else if bugs are killed, it is in violation of buddhist tenets

5. Nesshindo

Nesshindo Member

well, so many close-minded opinions of marijuana and buddhism.
    Comming from someone who has ADD, which is ATTENTION Deficit Disorder , Meaning im not able to concentrate aswell as say, an ordained Bhikkhu, when it comes to zazen (the meditation form i use).
    And as someone who has several rotated/out of place discs in his spine, its not easy to sit straight for long periods of time. Now consider this, I smoke not only for the pain in my back and upper neck, but when I smoke, I become actually able to concentrate, as if I had taken adderall, which to people without ADD is speed, or an Intoxicant. So tell me, Why should I, at the expense of my body, take a pill that "helps" me (gives me severe stomache pains, aswell as nausea) instead of smoke just a bit? I guess its a one-sided argument when Ill only be told its an intoxicant, and I guess I cant really prove to any of you Thats how it affects me, but thats my $00.02
    I become normal. Just like dependant alcoholics who drink "act" normal.

6. Sunshine Designs

Sunshine Designs Member

It def. does cloud the mind!

7. Nesshindo

Nesshindo Member

sure, if done in large ammounts, but in moderation, can it be THAT bad in my case?
    i mean, id rather smoke than take pills for pain, but if necessary ill stop alltogether.

8. Nesshindo

Nesshindo Member

My mom even agreed with that

9. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Consider this:

marijuana has no toxic level.

so it is impossible to become "intoxicated" by it.

does that answer the question?

10. Nesshindo

Nesshindo Member

Thank you....

Could not have said it any better, now tell me "this" person's judgement is clouded.

and Chodpa, I agree, affects are different in everybody, and if they havent already experimented with it I wouldnt encourage it at all, yet as someone who's smoked for my own reasons, I personally have no negative side affects, unless you call cleaning my messy house when I'm high, a negative side affect.

Once again, I believe Moderation of this is key.
    And I dont advocate smoking just to "get high", its seriously pain releaving, and if grown, prices are next to none :)

11. Nesshindo

Nesshindo Member

Not quite.
    When "smoked", or inhaled by means of a "tobacco pipe", apparently marijuana is somewhat "toxic". When ingested however, it helps relieve chronic pain, but it gets you way more messed up, than if you smoked a small bowl.

12. ChiefCowpie

there have been deaths from injecting marihuana leaves into the veins and so you are misinformed, also, if you do inject marihuana leaves into your veins, make sure needle is clean and do not share needles with other marihuana leaf injectors so as not to get aids or hep c

13. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Um, how do you inject leaves into your veins? Crush them into a liquid?

Peace and love

14. skip

Good advice there Chief! Same goes for people who insist upon injecting whole redwood trees into their arms! Always check for tree-sitters first!

15. ChiefCowpie

yes, blend in a blender and put in syringe

this method though is greatly falling out of favor due to medical complications and so ***tremendously*** not advised. please never never never attempt and stop anyone else attempting to do so

i merely mentioned it to counter widely propagated falsehood of skip and others that marihuana use cannot be toxic

marihuana also went through a toxic period in the 80's and 90's when paraquat was being sprayed on marihuana fields as the paraquat was toxic to the lungs. this practice has now ended.

16. ChiefCowpie

yes, however well intentioned, the medical dangers far outweigh the high. if you want to become one with a tree, hug it

17. skip

Here's how I safely consume "marihuana"...

Cannabis Lecter's Pot Head Surprise
    (serves 2)

I prefer a surgical incision above the neocortex, about 2 inches deep. Scoop out all unnecessary brain cells with melon baller (serve to your guests chilled with a nice chardonnay). Then stuff the resulting hole with half an ounce of OG Kush or Maui Wowee. Cover hole with plastic wrap. Sit back and relax! Enjoy the resulting tranquility as your worries fade (your memory, too, but who cares? You won't remember what you've forgotten...) :)

P.S. the paraquat scare was back in the 70s and again during the Reagan years (it was stopped but Reagan, being such a nice guy, started spraying it again...)

18. ChiefCowpie

the pot heads exclusively post in random thoughts if anyone is curious about the effects or temperament of the pot in the head high

(sp???)

Ronald Raygun

19. shroomaster46n2

shroomaster46n2 Member

In my opinion it seems to me that you are just trying to rationalize and justify you drug usage. you make the point that you know many people who claim to be a buddhist but they drink and do not abuse it. What i get from what you stated is that due to theses people hypocricy you find a gray area, to justify your usage of illeagal drugs...... I must say i like the your style....What is your opinion n the usage Shrooms and peyote to achieve satori... In my opinion i have felt i finally understood life, my purpose in life and a way to look at everything, due to these what i feel was an awakening from the usage of pyscedelics, and looking in to my self.htrough medditation and usage of these drugs i have found peace of mind.... I do not claim to be a buddhist becuase i feel it isnt a religon its a way of life and a way of thinking. I actually found my way to buddhism and my beliefs through mushrooms... I saw the world in a totaly different view.. Once i started to express mt beliefs i came upon a lady who was actually a buddhist and she introduced me to eastern philosphy and i have been in love ever since ..... well enough rambling

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truely is.....Infinite
    William Blake

20. ChiefCowpie

its not the drugs that are illegal, its the laws