Brokeback Mountain Merged

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by txbarefooter, Dec 13, 2005.

1. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I had heard that in terms of box office it was being considered a disappointment, is all.

2. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

How did they manage to spend that much? I really don't get the film industry.

3. henry101

henry101 Member

That's actually not a lot for a movie. Think of it in terms of about 7m pounds, or two houses in Hampstead. :D It was a gamble, but it paid off when it comes to profits.

Irongoth: You also said that it was a "yawnfest", that it was going to "set back the idea of the gay movie", that nobody wants to see it, and that it was not very good from a business perspective.

This isn't surprising considering the generally low opinions that you hold of gay culture.

4. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I guess. I have the same difficulty with the music industry though, bands manage to spend millions on albums and you listen to them and you just think "How?"

5. henry101

henry101 Member

I agree, its difficult to really tell the value of something like music or a movie. Thats why its so hard to raise money for a production.

6. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Sadly....

a well written, beautifully scripted and well shot movie about the torment of forbidden love makes nearly dick all.

but

an ultraviolent snuff film with religious overtones made by an Aussie of Brazilian Nazi extraction becomes an enormous moneymaker.

7. henry101

henry101 Member

Being anti-"Passion of Christ" doesn't win you any points :rolleyes:

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Especially when you make it sound that good.

9. Mychal

Mychal Member

He won points with me.

10. PatchOnPatch

PatchOnPatch Member

I saw Brokeback. It was very sad and brought back memories of when I grew up. That part I didn't like.

I don't think it will do as well at the oscars as everyone predicts.
    I read: Bookmakers have made Brokeback Mountain their hottest favorite in history to win best film, at odds of 1/8.
    I'd place my money to lose. I think if you call up one of the people who vote and say, are you going to vote for Brokeback for best picture, they say, "of course," because otherwise you're homophobic if you don't. It's like all the straight guys who say they're going to go with their girl friend and never do. Like if you just say, "I'm planning to go," that proves something.

Ang Lee will get best director, for the same reason. Hollywood wants to say they aren't homophobic, and that they're doing something about the gay backlash. And Ang Lee has just proven that. He can't make a crappy film, so they'll give him the best director to thank him for an honest gay story that makes money, not because it's the best directed picture. A lot of the hype that has been writen by reviewers plays to the 'great directing' angle.

Heath Ledger could get best actor. If it were only straight dudes voting, they would all agree, "That's acting with a capital A." I don't think he's that sexy, so I'm maybe the wrong one to say if he should win. Though theres a couple of his scenes that tear your heart out.

Jake Gyllenhaal for best supporting actor, The title is sort of a double entendre, if you think about it. (supporting?) Nobody can bat their eyes, ... er I mean, act like that. Not even Bette Davis, slap my mouth. He's a shoe in. Again, straight dudes will think, "If I did that for real, I better get an award!"

I don't know if it's up for best cinematography, but it deserves that one.

11. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

please please, I can't be the only gay guy that thinks it a pile of boring crap, and I know they're ment to be repressed but if those two where lovers I'm kylie
    S

12. Closet Kid

Closet Kid Member

Yeah I hated brokeback mountain what a load of shit. Though I will admit the sex scene was pretty hot. boring hours of crap.

13. andrenio

andrenio Member

If you pair of deuces are lookin for brawl, I suggest you get your skinny asses out here, pronto. (Just joking).

How dare you to insult BBM in such a way, "pile of boring crap", "a load of shit"!?. What an education is that, what a language?, what a lack of respect for all the people
    who like it or even love it!?
    Your lack of education and sensibility is unmeasurable.

If you do not like the movie you may say it using a proper language and explaining your reasons, but not insulting the movie and hurting the feelings of
    those who love it.
    This is a forum for persons not for beasts

14. mrbillybob

mrbillybob Member

beasts?? haha okay how about this... I thought the current movie on topic was very shitty indeed...hows that??

15. Samhain

if your that offended by what we've said then why don't you lead by example, I'm a resonable person, if you'd simply said that you where offended and decribed why you loved the film, instead of threatening us.
    and insulting us (which however you may feel about the film no one else on the thread as insulted a person)

I would have been willing to explore the film with you and apologise for any offensive caused, as it stands I have no wish to have any further interactions with you, if you think the way you have responded shows that you are better educated than us then your very deluded
    S

16. hipunk

hipunk Member

I thought it was beautiful but very, very sad. I left feeling sad and angry.
    But it's a romance movie. A lot of folks don't like romance, no matter who's doing the romancing. I respect that. I'm not into slasher movies.

But I like a little more psychology in movies; and those are the parts I liked in BBM. But the "love" scene was mostly a wash out. I did like when they kiss. And the sweeping footage of the country side was pretty. Even with that I have no desire to see it again. I would cry.

I was thinking the other day that this film is like "Black Like Me" made in 1964. While the film itself may not have been the best, the impact and the message continued to resonate for years after that movie came out.

Some people aren't going to like (or even see) brokeback this year or next. But it will be played in dvd and Cable movies, and plenty more people will see it in the years to come.

Many will think, yuck romantic movie, but they will still learn something. BBM has yet to maturate. The Leno jokes are already getting stale. The half life of BBM will be something different then the hoopla over the Oscars. I feel no need to defend it or argue with the detractors. Best to let it work it's own quiet magic.

17. Samhain

I have no problem with the fact that its a romance movie, i like then as much as the next person, and when they done well they'll have me weeping.
    I thought the first part of the film was very boring and the whole of it seemed about as repressed when it came to homosexuality as the two main charaters in it.
    ok they where repressed, however even repressed couples have some chemistry and I didn't pick up on much that had me believing they where lovers.
    and how many more films like this are going to end with the clithe of one of them dieing- for crying out load.
    the other thing is I thought the other charaters where really bland, i didn't feel sorry for the wives as there was nothing to them, I also couldn't understand a lot of what was being said because they mumbled all the time.
    S

18. andrenio

andrenio Member

The first quote was just a joke, a I did not mean to insult you, is a quote from the movie as you may remember.

I apologize you for the second one, I was quite angry for your insults to the movie, but It´s not easy to describe people who make such insults in a way that they don´t feel themselves insulted too.

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I haven't seen Brokeback Buttplug.

20. andrenio

andrenio Member

I think it may be a little bit slow but i believe it can not introduce us directly in the matter of their affair, the movie try to reflect the tempo and the things they make in order to be more realistic, althougt I believe that somes scenes were not necessary at all.
    I think the movie just try to be contained and show only the intimates moments which are strictly necessary for the story, but I believe there are many moments in which you see it all in the way they look at each other, even in the face and eyes of the tough Ennis.
    Is it a cliche?, I hadn´t seen it before...Well, before it was not so rare, that used to happen with gay people in which we call the developed countries, even now, remember Matthew Shepard, killed in Wyoming in 1998.
    Well, Ennis has an extraordinary Wyoming accent, although you are right, it may would be better if he hadn´t. But it just try to be realistic.