Brokeback Mountain Merged

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by txbarefooter, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

omg gays rule hollywood.

Wouldn't it be great if there were homosexual characters in films for anything other than novelty value?

2. jasonh04

jasonh04 Member

Hey everyone I don't watch TV to much so I'm gonna start this up.

How do you think hollywood is going to handle this just realesesd movie. Not many people around here went to see it. Me my boyfriend, and my friends went to see it and we loved it...its one of the few movies that made me tear. Anyway this is also to discusse hollywood an the their take on homosexuality in the movies.

Please coem o my website nad check ouy my journal. click the following link

www.myspace.com/jaysword04

3. Erasmus70

Erasmus70 Banned

It was said that Brokeback Mountain already won critical acclaim, hype and Oscar Awards BEFORE it was even finished shooting.

A good argument has been made (by some) that the 'Cause' nature of the publicity and hype is actually going to hurt this movie in that many will never take the time to go see it 'for what it is' but instead see it (or not) as some politically correct 'cause celeb'.

To be perfectly honest, if Im at the theatre trying to decide what to see (not having seen either) I would end up going to say.. Glory Road instead.
    Why?
    Because Brokeback Mountain comes off as a manipulation for some cause Im supposed to buy into.
    I feel like I already 'know what your trying to do'.
    Glory Road might suck.. i dont know.. but at least I go in not knowing what to expect.

Maybe I am wrong about BM but the point is that is what im led to believe so far.
    So my $20 goes to the one that is my best chance based on what I know up to then.

4. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I'm not sure I know what you mean by how Hollywood is going to handle this movie. One thing I like about this movie is that it offered an alternative to the way Hollywood has handled the subject of homosexuality. For a while there, it seemed like every gay male character in the movies had to wear a dress. It was refreshing to see a movie where gay men weren't like a narrow stereotype. I enjoyed this movie very much as did five other people I know who saw it. I don't know anyone who watched it who didn't react very positively to it.

Sure, some people are going to hesitate to see Brokeback Mountain because of the gay angle. It's their loss.

Like jasonh04, I watch very little television. I see more movies than most people. Even if I feel like I'm going to be manipulated, I still go to see a movie. I felt like Passion of the Christ was a bit more about the hype than about the movie itself. I went to a theater and saw it and wasn't wowed.

5. jasonh04

jasonh04 Member

Yeah when i go to see a movie I go buy what people say...but then again there are some movies that I just won't see and tell other not to see becuase its stupid *XXX:2*. With this movie...Its the first gay movie I have ever seen in hollywood and I was intriged by that aspect. It amazed me that it wasn't really like all the other movies. All the bloods the nude women the sex after sex and the shitty acting. This movie did a great joba nd I hpe it gets the recgonition that it deserves.

6. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i loved it, i've seen it twice..

Most people aren't comfortable enough to see it. oh well.

7. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

It did really poorly in the box office.

Methinks this will set back the idea of gay movies...

8. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I don't know about that... This was definitely the best thing Health Ledger has ever done. I was surprised to find that he could actually act. Besides, It has won some awards..

I don't think Ang Lee was anticipating a huge gross anyway...

9. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

You do realise people make movies to make money, right?

None of the folks in this film worked for free. The investors weren't anticipating producing a beautiful, groundbreaking masterpiece or anything.

10. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

You could say the same of pretty much every Hollywood film. I heard Hollywood is going to stop making films with female lead characters because they don't make so much money. Nature of the film industry, isn't it.

11. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Self control - WTF?

Terms of Endearment and other chick flicks make a pile of money.

This two hour yawnfest about gay cowboys was handed the Oscar on principle before it was even filmed. I intend on seeing it, I understand it's excellent, but it isn't what most people want to see. It's not commercially viable.

Now, if they'd been eating pudding....

12. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

It's done alright considering. I doubt most people who did go see it would have done so if it hadn't won so many awards.

But I'm afraid it's true about female leads. It may be a generalisation of something more specific but it's still what was in the paper, and given Hollywood's attitude I can easily believe that they'd analyse what's popular to that degree.

13. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Aliens did well.
    Depends on the movie.

14. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Yeah, well this was a recent article, so it was referring to films in the last two or three years. I don't know the names of them because I generally can't be arsed to go to the cinema (uni has a fairsized film library so I can take my pick of films which are good rather than just new).

15. henry101

henry101 Member

It was a rather good movie, full stop.

16. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

I thought Brokeback was good and enjoyed it, but it is hardly worthy of a Golden Globe much less an Oscar.

17. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I did a little research and it was number one in the uk last week.

Besides, the movie is supposed to be an indie film, and is only playing in roughly 1500 theatres in the united states. Considering the number of theatres it's playing in, i don't think it's doing terrible.

18. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Poorly in the box office? It was #5 in the country this week on something like 1100 screens. Compare that to the movies that are on 2000+ and 3000+ screens, and that's not so shabby.

19. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

It only took in $25 Million. This is not that good a business.

Listen, I'm actually FOR all this, but I don't think it'll lead to more gay films.

20. henry101

henry101 Member

Actually IronGoth, it cost $14 million and has earned back nearly triple that.

It looks as though you are trying to downplay to movie's success because you object to its subject matter.