Brokeback Mountain Merged

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by txbarefooter, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Brokeback Mountain was one of the top ten films of the week in the USA. That's happening on just a few screens. Add on the possibility of a few Oscar nominations next month, and then you'll really see it spread around the country. A few towns in Texas might not get it, but we might all be surprised.

2. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

It's amazing how some women will watch this and not get upset that the two guys marry even though they're not in love with the women, and ditch the married women with kids to sleep with each other.

I've seen this in real life and it wasn't winning any academy awards. Nor was it considered hot. The woman in question was getting AIDS tests every three days and suing his ass for everything he owned in child support.

3. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

movies aren't real life.

4. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

the thumpers are already lining up to diss this movie and say how Hollywood is trying to make "gay culture" acceptible and bring down morals .. blah blah blah

Closet Station err I mean College Station, will be one of those Texas cities that probably won't get this movie. :-(

5. hipunk

hipunk Member

It seems that part of the Brokeback story is that it's the early 60s and these men aren't given another choice. Even now, if you think about it, our choices are limited. Men still aren't allowed to marry. If these women truly loved their husbands, they would understand the torment that is their lives.

6. SageDreamer

I see where you're coming from, but it's got to be torment for these women too. What happens when you love a man, believing that he loves you in every way--including sexually--and that you've got a one-on-one thing that will last for life? These women were certainly conditioned to believe that life would be that way for them.

I don't think these women failed to love their husbands. I think that sometimes love just isn't enough, and these women are as much victims of The Way Things Are as their husbands are.

7. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

well said.

8. hipunk

hipunk Member

You're right, maybe I don't want to go to a movie where women are decieved and tormented by husbands who will never truely love them.

9. hipunk

hipunk Member

10. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

that was interesting.

11. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Oh, whatever. I read that and it's the usual "if you don't buy into what we sell then you're a closet fag homophobe evil person"

I already said I was gonna see it.

I was just interested that women would give these two guys a pass. Imagine if the story was about them cheating on spouses as a hetero couple. The women would be hissing and spitting at the "homewrecker hussy" and decrying the man as a "typical brainless cock".

It's interesting. As an experiment, try this. Next time your girlfriend bangs on about how great gays are and how she so loves her gay friend who takes her shoe shopping and dishes about boys, suggest you think you might be one too, and watch the blood run cold. "Oh, I wouldn't act on it, but you're right, Jake whatsisname is hot".

I did that as a teen and in the oh-so-politically-correct early 90s and it's funny to watch the color drain out of their face. "Oh no you're not. You're not one of THOSE. You better not be." HAR HAR HAR

Yeah, I'm so sure of my sexuality I'll joke about swimming for the other team. Deal with it. It's funny that Gay Pride parades are more family friendly than a lot of straight parades these days. HAR

12. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

Theres only like one minute of kissing....

I'm not gay...

13. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i'm jealous that you've seen it..It's taking forever for it to come to smaller cities in the states. It doesn't come out till january around here.

14. SageDreamer

I'm not sure that these men never truly love their wives. I live in a small town, and lots of gay men are married to women. In some cases, it's camouflage or an "arrangement," but I know of at least one gay man who genuinely loves his wife.

Remember that this movie is about a time and place where people talked very little and knew even less about homosexuality. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the short story and seen the trailer for the movie. It seems like these two men didn't even have the words to say "I'm gay" and might not have even thought of themselves in those terms. It's possible that they were in serious denial. Getting married to a woman was just what many men did in those days. We're talking about the wide open spaces of the West in 1960-something. There were no visible gay organizations and most likely no gay bars. How many gay bars are open in Wyoming in 2005?

What could the two characters in this movie have done? What would have been the right thing? They couldn't just go and buy a ranch together and live as a couple, even if they were very quiet about it. Living lives of quiet desperation doesn't seem like the right thing, either. Very few gay cowboys would have been able to pick up and go to some big city. Even if they got there, how would they know where to go or what to do? They probably thought they didn't have any other choices. I don't think they set out to deceive and torment their wives. I'll admit that being married to a closeted cowboy was probably not so great for their wives, but these men were as much tormented as tormentors.

In fact, I don't think they spent much time talking to each other about what went on between them. If they couldn't talk about it to each other, how could they possibly have talked about it to their wives?

I don't recommend that gay men marry women today. However, I am happy that there are more men who have found more satisfying ways to live their lives these days. If this movie gets some people to talk about what is happening in their lives and to find some sort of resolution or to at least think about these issues, it's a good thing.

15. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

well said Sage. I'll probably have to drive to Houston to see it (90 miles)

16. hipunk

hipunk Member

Admit it, IronGoth, you're jealous. :) Here's a story about men cheating on their wives and women are just loving it. That's not fair. That's so unfair. Damn that's like no fair. And it really gets your goat, doesn't it. I mean, who wouldn't love to fuck around on his wife and have her praise you for it. Hey, if you're serious about cheating on your wife and seeing if she will praise you for it, you can park your hog in my garage anytime. :p

17. hipunk

hipunk Member

I just got back from seeing Brokeback Mountain.

The cinematography is stunning!
    I walked away feeling very sad and very angry.
    Don't go alone, like I did.

Excuse me now, there's a pillow around here someplace that I need to hug
    or punch -I'm not quite sure which.

18. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i'm going to see it this weekend.

19. Dariah

Dariah Member

I finally saw it. I agree with hipunks post: I'm glad I didn't see it alone. I had such an upset feeling when it was over. A mixture of sadness and anger, like he said. Listen to the song that plays during the end credits. I felt like bawling when hearing it.

Sad... :(

20. cadiz315

cadiz315 Member

I just got back from seeing it. It's a very good, sad thinking movie. What I liked best, was that there was no judging. The characters and thier untenable situation just ...were. Heath Ledger's acting was incredible. Leave your label maker at home and take the tissues