British banned from coffeeshops

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by Adventurous, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Adventurous

Adventurous Member

Can anyone please tell me if it is true that british people cannot purchase weed from coffeeshops, because quite a few people have told me so.

2. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

I havent heard that yet - but is it seriously gonna stop you?

3. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

I saw many Brits buying weed in coffeeshops a week ago... don't believe everything you hear. Besides, that would be completely blatant discrimination and I didn't see much prejudice going on over there or the tolerance of it.

Peace,
    islandgurl

4. bigloui96

bigloui96 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah I've heard the rumours... but thats what they are, just unfounded rumours.

I can see why shopkeepers and locals get fed up with some of the loud-mouthed, football hooligan drug tourists that come from britain (by no means is that everyone... just a significant minority that ruin our image!) However at the end of the day, tourists from the UK provide a healthy revenue for many industries in Amsterdam.

Interesting though, the Dutch government is under external pressure to ban coffeeshops, I dont know anything about politics in the Netherlands so whether this is likely to happen or not I do not know... it would be a shame if it did.

5. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

To most of the outside world, it is known as the dull Dutch market town where the treaty that created the European Union was signed in 1992. Small wonder then, that the bulk of Maastricht's foreign visitors come not for the history, but for the abundance of Amsterdam-style "coffee shops" selling marijuana.

Now, however, fed up at the growing numbers of drug tourists, Maastricht plans to move up to half of the offending cafes to the Belgian border - a scheme that has tested the spirit of European integration to its limit.

For the town's mayor, Gerd Leers, the move will simply relocate the cafes safely out of Maastricht and closer to their main market, which locals say is overwhelmingly young Belgians anyway.

But officials in Belgium, where cannabis remains illegal, say the plan will completely derail their own zero-tolerance policy on drugs. Because both countries are signatories to the EU's Schengen free movement agreement, the national boundary exists nowadays only on maps, which means that Belgian towns such as Lanaken, right on the border, may end up looking as if they have their own coffee shop.

"I have a good understanding with Mayor Leers, except when it comes to soft drugs," Lanaken's mayor, Alex Vangronsveld, complained last week. "We in Lanaken maintain a zero-tolerance policy. The dispersal plan is not acceptable to us, as Maastricht already has 4,500 drug tourists a day."

Dutch police, however, back Mr Leers. By moving some of Maastricht's 16 coffee shops to within a few yards of Belgium, they hope to export not just the cannabis trade but also its undesired sidekick, illegal hard drugs.

"Their fears are legitimate," said Peter Tans, the police spokesman for south Limburg, the Dutch region that includes Maastricht. "Experience has shown that when you move the coffee shop the problem moves, too, and crime levels where the coffee shop used to be drop dramatically. But we say to the Belgians: 'These are your customers, keep them in your country'."

Dutch MPs visited the Belgian border region last week to hear local concerns. They were told that Dutch soft drug cultivators were increasingly targeting hard-up Belgian farmers, in areas near the border, and offering them cash in exchange for use of part of their land. Maastricht officials say the relocation scheme will be voluntary but believe many coffee shop owners would be happier closer to the border.

A date for the move has not been set and some coffee shop managers believe the plan might never be activated. A previous project by Mr Leers to ban non-Dutch residents from frequenting the coffee shops has not been put in motion.

"There are elections next year, so maybe the policy will change again," said the manager of the Easy Going coffee shop, who refused to give her name.

A drug dealer in Club 69, a smart coffee shop near Maastricht's main market square, added: "You'll find they will move the coffee shops in residential areas where there are children running about and leave those in the town centre."

This is the problem and it's in one town, however, they aren't going to do away with them. I don't think we have to fear our precious coffeeshops being taken from us anytime soon. I mean, c'mon that's most of Amsterdam's tourist money right there and they need our tourist dollars. If men want prostitutes they can go to many other countries besides the Netherlands, but where would WE go for coffeeshops? They don't want to shut them down, but they're STRICT the way they run them and that's okay as long as I can toke and smoke in peace without looking over my shoulder for "big brother".

Peace,
    islandgurl

6. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Now theres a reply.!^^^
    Amsterdam is fine, it's full of all walks of life, nationalities and individuals and you'll have no problems getting weed. The only issue that could arrise is they may start to crack down on the ''pub style'' coffeeshops, possibly making them choose between selling either weed or alcohol but not both. This law could happen, no real difference even if it does, imo.
    enjoy

I don't know too much about these border area coffeeshops but there was some talk going on somewhere to just supply the local Dutch people around certain border areas but how much truth is in this I have no idea.

7. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

Nem's right... that's the worst we have to fear and it doesn't mean a hill of beans to me 'cuz I don't drink alcohol and the one's that do drink can get that ANYWHERE in the world, let alone the pubs in the dam and there are also plenty of those. As long as we have our sweet coffeeshops, Amterdam is my mecca :)

8. bigloui96

bigloui96 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I know what you mean about amsterdam being a Mecca, I went once three years ago and have returned every year since... twice this year!

I just love the city... there is something about it, not just the weed, I cant really exlpain it, im sure you know what I mean! When you step out from Dam Centraal station, it just feels like home!

I tend not to drink when smoking either... no point in splashing out for weed and beer - to us students that one bag or pint is a lot of money, will be for another 5 years :-D

9. Adventurous

Adventurous Member

Thank you everyone for you replies, you have helped me with my question so thanks.

I have been twice before and reckon its an awesome place for a group of mates to hang out, I just really dont want to be restricted from coffeeshops because they are one of the main reasons I visit there. Il be planning my trip for the summer then ;).

Thank you all.