Brian Wilson presents "SMILE"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Gregonzo, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

Has anyone checked this albumn out?

It was due for release in 1967 but, because of the "Beach Boys'" dis-approval of it being "too artsy" and Brian's nervous breakdown it has just been so recently released..

In my opinion (as well as many others) It beats Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band as the most enlightening and complete psychadelic albumn ever!!!

Beautiful 5 part harmonies are sung to precision. Genius instrumentation.

Check it out, it's fit for the most sophisticated music taste

Cheers,

Gregonzo

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Its not bad, but I prefer the original '66 and '67 recordings more.

3. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

Great album! I really like the first song, Our Prayer/Gee.
    The music is so light and easylistening, suits in every situation!
    You can listen to the album online, http://www.smilethealbum.com after a simple register. Enjoy!

4. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

The original bootleg material is better methinks.. much more energetic and avant-garde, Wilson and The Wondermints blow through some of those songs so slick you'd think it was a musical. However, some of the rewritten passages and new vocal melodies are ace.. like adding singing parts to "Child Is Father of the Man." Either version I do believe I like better than Sgt Pepper tho

5. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

Yah, I own alot of the bootlegs and 67's recording sessions on cd. I must say though the complete SMILE albumn is better, only of because the songs are woven together beautifuly in the finnished product.

I could list dozens of reasons why SMILE would have blown the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper out of the water!!!!

6. soulrebel51

reason #1: The Beatles stole the animal noises from Pet Sounds...

7. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

Reason # 2.....flawless 5 part vocal harmonies embracing the music like "beautiful love making" HELL Smiley Smile beats any of the Beatles stuff.
    ........or..........

Hot hardcore fucking......lol....(kidding)

8. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

Agreed. I heard the version of Surf's Up from the new record, and it doesn't even compare to the original bootleg recordings. I'm afraid if I buy it, I might just end up getting dissapointed.

9. soulrebel51

The only song that really brought me down was the closer, Good Vibrations. Brian and Van Dyke changed the lyrics to that beautiful song, for some unknown reason.

I don't think Surf's Up sounds all that much different from the original recordings, but my favourite version is on the Surf's Up album.. eh, that might be Smiley Smile, I don't remember..

god do I love The Beach Boys, especially Brian.. *orgasm* :p

10. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

I could be wrong but I think Mike Love wrote the lyrics to the version you hear on the radio, the lyrics from SMILE are the original ones he refused to sing.. I think he had some hissy fit on Parks (or was GV older, being penned by Tony Asher?) and changed the words around to make it more 'down-to-earth' (Brian's original idea of course being about vibrations dogs can pick up)..

11. soulrebel51

ah, well that I did not know. :)

12. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

You are Right!!!! Love did write the "Smiley Smile" albumn's lyrics to GOOD VIBRATIONS

I hardly think that would bring the whole "Smile" albumn to the big downe though.....lol....

And for whoever stated their dissaproval for the "SMILE" version of "SURFS UP"

bare in mind the flow of the albumn and look at SURFS UP as the climax to the story of Smile...........not by itself......listen to the WHOLE albumn as one PIECE of ART

Cheers