Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

On one hand yes. On the other hand maybe it was necessary.

If you can't bring about the change needed from within maybe its better you leave.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

We're talking about two different groups of people. The ones who voted for it, they deserve whatever they get, good or bad.

I don't personally know enough about it to have an informed opinion. I know the issues are complex.

The head of the US Federal Reserve (Greenspan) just spoke on CNBC. He's worried about the stability of the Euro. Another complicating factor.

3. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I was talking about a country. Of course half the country was against but that's what you get in a democracy.

This whole thing was just stupid politics at its best. Months ago Cameron brokered special deals for the UK with the EU. He threatened with Brexit and got what he wanted. Now look where he stands.

The Euro was actually stable today .... it was the Sterling that tanked.

1 person likes this.
  4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I hate generalizations like that. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Lol! I don't think there's anything wrong with democracy necessarily, TheGhost. It's just unfortunate that the people have been fooled into thinking that leaving the EU will solve the problems they see with immigrants.

6. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Not a generalisation. Not happening.

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Thats Not Why Most People Voted Out ! But it is an Issue Here are More Opinions !

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/22/11992106/brexit-arguments

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Not per se. But to me just shy of 52% isn't much of a win. It is the majority but it's not really significant.

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

And I care just as much about the 48%. They're all people.

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Sure. that's why they - as well as the other half - should have been represented properly. By a government that actually cares about it's citizens.

The smart move would have been to change the EU from the inside. Not leaving it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

There are already rumors of other EU member countries holding similar votes in the near future. Could this be the beginning of the end of the EU? Stronger countries remaining in it will end up paying more to help weaker countries, giving them increasing incentive to get out.

12. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXzPsmxdTs

1 person likes this.
  13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

That's been happening for quite a while. The EU gave billions to Greece to keep them in. They wasted all that money and now the UK leaves just like that.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Rumor mill says France is likely to be next. German banks based mostly in Frankfurt make a lot off loaning big money to other EU countries, so they don't want anything to change.

15. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

LOL now trending on twitter #whathavewedone

16. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Actually Karen, we're all just bots.......

Anyway, I have a strong feeling that the things the brexiters thought they were voting for will not happen. Instead we'll swap a moderately right wing govt for a more right wing govt..

Let them bask in their moment of victory and hubris, fantasies of a return to 'Great' britain. It won't be long before the reality starts to hit home. In a few months I doubt Britain will exist other then as a memory, as the Scots will certainly have another independence referendum and leave the UK. I may well consider moving north of the border if and when that happens.

1 person likes this.
  18. Chigurh

Chigurh Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpo9qzsfL4

Does this guy know what he's talking about?

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The 52% got something done. I hope they don't get disappointed later and regret it, because there's no going back.

Culturally and otherwise, would that be a big change? I honestly don't know.

Everybody is guessing, at this point. It's uncharted territory.

20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Already the leaders of the Brexit camp are reversing their promises.

£350 million a week extra for the NHS they said. The news of the result was hardly in before Farage was disclaiming that, although it was clearly stated during the campaign.

Immigration? Tory MEP Daniel Hannan was quick to explain that actually it won't really change that much.

Meantime the EU are saying they want Britain out as soon as possible. Hardly surprising.

On channel 5 news an interview with a girl who voted for 'out' saying she wished she could go back and vote 'remain'. I think that's something a lot of people are going to experience over time.