Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I wasn't really taking seriously the idea that the EU and the BE were 'the same people'. It's obviously utter nonsense. And as I pointed out a real faux pas as far as the retrospective right in this country are concerned.

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Bill

I agree even equating the two only highlights a person’s ignorance of both – but it does led into the idea that some people have of the EU been this ‘evil’ entity that is trying dominate poor weak Britain - that at least some on the leave side seem to believe.

It goes back to the misdirection of the ‘faceless unelected bureaucrats’ that those pushing for Brexit (who more often than not are also faceless and unelected) like to suggest are imposing 'bad' laws on the UK against its will. Something that when looked into falls apart but does still seem to linger amongst the ‘true believers’ and Sun readers.

And that’s the problem I think they are lost, they are never going to think about the EU in rational terms.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

So May has ditched the 3rd Meaningful vote as she can’t get the votes.

So to me it seems we need to get the UK to say it is going to be involved in the European elections so we can have a long extension and go for a second referendum.

Otherwise we could go over the cliff

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Bots! ;)

5. BlackBillBlake

Last word on this point, as I feel it's a diversion - I see what you mean, but surely if one compares the empire to the 'evil EU dominating poor little Britain' it's a kind of reversal of the imperial formula where it was bully boy Britain dominating and exploiting its colonies, often with vastly superior military technology - none of whom had any choice about joing the empire, unlike the EU which we joined after a vote. As you say this comparison is complete nonsense.

I agree that the hard core brexit supporters are not rational. Whilst I'm sure many leave voters were conned and really, they now know that, there is the loony fringe too, who frankly are not only not rational, but not capable of being rational.

Balbus likes this.
  6. BlackBillBlake

7. BlackBillBlake

Q: Should I trust a government who can't secure their own website from bots?

A: 'Tis the will of the bots, sorry, people..

8. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

9. BlackBillBlake

Also in the crash out scenario along with the blue passport, if you intend to drive in the EU, Andora, Serbia or Switzerland, you'll need to get your motor insurer to issue you with a Green Card.

To me that looks suspiciously like more and not less red tape.

10. Rots in hell

What do you think About the Video I posted ?

11. BlackBillBlake

If you have something to say,it's better if you frame it in your own words.

12. Rots in hell

Thats an Opinion ! what I posted was The facts from the horses mouth
    an opinion is not better it cant be Backed up Facts can !

You yourself used a Link and then added a daft joke I just left out the Daft joke

13. BlackBillBlake

If you don't find my sense of humour to your liking, just ignore it.

14. Rots in hell

So you criticize My posts For not Filling them with meaningless words But call it Humour when you do it
    Why dont you tell me what you think of the link I posted (from a MEP ) instead ?

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

I clicked on it and went oh isn’t this the same Janice Atkinson that was a Daily Mail columnist who got censured for racist comments and then expelled from UKIP for expenses fraud.

Well Mal first up can I presumed you checked her claims so can you give us the figures she is basing her views on? Please don’t say you are just accepting what a disgraced politician is saying without question?

Ok I stayed for two supposed ‘facts’ on MEP pay and cost

It was rather disingenuous another MEP gives an much more fuller and nuanced account -

MEP Pay and Expenses - Jean Lambert MEP

And this from the BBC -The standard monthly payment for all MEPs is 7,957 euros (£6,537). It is roughly on a par with a British MP's salary.

Extra cost are related to the complexities (27 languages) and size of the EU, few like the Strasbourg compromise but it’s a bit like the United Kingdom having a single house of Parliament but then having separate reginal parliaments with their own MP’s it might be cheaper to just have the one but politically that’s not going to happen.

The next thing is the claim that MEP cost 60% of the whole EU budget – I can find no evidence for this, as far as I can tell (still looking) this goes back to a Daily Mail typo that turned EU Administration costs from 6% of the EU budget into 60% and this has been cut and pasted without been checked by other anti-EU newspapers.

In the case of the Daily Mail, they actually managed to add a zero to the overall amount (so we are talking over £1 trillion, which did not seem to have raised any alarm bells with either author or subeditor) and which was duly cut and pasted in a piece by the Daily Star in the following days.

In other words it seems to be a fabrication and you would think the horse mouth would know that .

The 'cost' of MEPs

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  16. BlackBillBlake

Been here before on that other now deleted recent thread. Not interested in your videos. Got something to say, then say it in your own words.

I don't think my words were actually meaningless as they made a point that people will face more and not les red tape if the UK leaves the EU without a deal contrary to the lies that were told by the brexit mob.

Balbus likes this.
  17. Rots in hell

So your happy to bury your head in the sand because it doesn't fit your agenda watch it and tell me it's wrong or shut up
    It's not about the way we post it's about whether Brexit is good or bad otherwise what's the point of this thread ?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  18. BlackBillBlake

I've said it before and I'll repeat one last time - I'm not interested in watching your videos. I could trawl through youtube and find videos that are pro EU, but there would be no point. All it proves is that there are pro and anti EU videos on youtube which we already know.

As for the point of this thread, at nearly 15,000 views it obviously has some point.

Balbus likes this.
  19. Rots in hell

They give roughly the same Figures ? whats your point

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

What figures are you talking about?

Are you saying to you think that 6% and 60% are ‘roughly the same’?

What I’m pointing out is that this woman that is part of the far right Nations and Freedom group within the EU parliament seems to be disingenuous, misleading and lying.

What I’m asking is do you just accept what is said in such propaganda pieces without question?

Think of all the lies and half-truth that have been pumped out over the years about the EU by the right wing press and pundits, that where publically revealed as lies and half-truth (yet I’ve still had straight bananas been brought up in discussions on Brexit).

European Commission in the UK - European Commission

I mean as in the past you don’t seem able to actually defend your views in debate instead preferring to post propaganda pieces from others (that fall apart when examined) and which you also can’t defend from criticism.

I wonder why you just accept this?

BlackBillBlake likes this.