Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Balbus

Balbus Super Moderator Super Moderator

31 days – one month - ONE FUCKING MONTH - and a sense of panic is setting in to everyone but the dogmatically indoctrinated or those that haven’t given a hard Brexit that much thought.

So the seats are been arranged and the whispers in back rooms are taking place

Is there the will and the votes to stop this madness?

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Labour are now saying they will back a second vote. And that 'remain' will be on the ballot paper.

Just have to hope that this happens, and good sense prevails. Seems that's the only way out of this mess.

Keir Starmer: Labour's Brexit stance is either credible deal or remain

3. Balbus

I was listening to the radio the other day and someone made a said something I thought was startling

Remember there were loads of political pundit on both sides of the Brexit debate and at the beginning it basically came down to –

A) Brexit would make us better off

B) Brexit would make us worse off

For A there was going to be the ‘sunny uplands’, a Brexit dividend for the NHS, having our cake and eating it, a golden age of prosperity and so on and anyone that said differently (B) was part of ‘project fear’.

But now virtually all those pundits seem to agree that we will be worse off.

Some talk of things getting better later, 10 years, 20 years, a generation down the road (on the basis of no evidence beyond hope) and other seem to be claiming they always thought Brexit would come at a cost (they just didn’t tell the voters) but add the cost will be worth it to….well to…..you know…..

But few leavers these days are claiming there will not be a cost.

So why are we doing it?

4. Balbus

Brexit : Endgame

Two years ago and the snapped fingers of a referendum started a clock that is still ticking it was always going to bring about disaster but we still do not know if it will be a Loki or a Thanos, a little local difficulty or half the population disappearing.

Anyway is tonight’s vote an endgame?

Well no – just as Marvel/Disney will carry on making films so Bexit will carry on for years – I think many have forgotten that even if Theresa May’s deal wins tonight that is just the Withdrawal Agreement and that is just beginning for what comes next, which is trade talks and there is dark whispers that that could be worse than the last two years

But the deal May is putting forward is still likely to fail

So is that a gauntlet I see before me….

etherea likes this.
  5. etherea

etherea mother of the idiot children

I have no faith in anything positive coming out of this at all. The hullabaloo about the concrete headway being made on the temporary nature of the backstop has just been given the no change there then from the attorney general Geoffrey Cox so I can't see today's vote being positive for that May cunt.
    How does that song go again? Maybe tomorrow...............

6. BlackBillBlake

It would take a person who voted leave and still believes in it to answer that.

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Pass All Fail All HipForums Supporter

They say the same things they always did.
    (we want control of our OWN laws and our OWN borders...)

8. BlackBillBlake

May's deal defeated again, this time by 149 votes.

A vote tomorrow on no-deal.

9. Balbus

So off we go on the rollercoaster – as predicted the May withdrawal deal was defeated – next comes the rejection of a no deal, which is expected to handsomely win, in fact it will be very interesting to see who does vote to have a no deal exit, given the damage that would do to the country.

And after that come the extension of article 50 which at the moment happens by law on the 29th March.

This all could have been done back in October not fucking SIXTEEN DAYS away from Brexit.

You might think its ok the pressure is off with the extension but it just opens another can of putrefying worms.

Is the extension to be short or long?

If it is a long extension well the European Parliamentary elections start on the 23 May if we are still official a member at that time I believe we would have to take part and then leave or what if we don’t take part and then decide to stay in the EU.

But is a short extension long enough to break out of the deadlock the country is in? For example if a second referendum was thought of as a solution then it took several months to get through and organise the first one.

Some are saying May is just play down the clock once again, first time her deal was rejected by 230 votes, last night it was rejected by ‘only’ 149 votes so she could bring it back again when things are even closer to the wire.

10. etherea

etherea mother of the idiot children

The EU will not agree an extension to article 50 without a legitimate reason and apparently needing more time won't cut it.

11. BlackBillBlake

It looks like an extension of article 50 is about all that's going to be left. Long or short. A second referendum is IMO still the bst way out of this impasse.

12. Balbus

Bill

I agree and it would seem to be the most obvious and sensible solution out of this impasse - BUT there just doesn’t seem to be the Parliamentary votes or will for it, I mean Corbyn was meant to be throwing the whole weight of the labour party behind it but…….

13. What are you all going to do about Y2K as well?

14. Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa Nails Mc Fugger

No deal exit should be the way and the only way that was what was voted for ! Yeah we have been bullied and lied to but only (after) the refferendom!

15. BlackBillBlake

Probably the alternative is to crash out - I don't think Corbyn has any chance whatever of bringing forward a 'softer' deal.

The race to the bottom continues........

16. So what if 6 months after you finally leave the EU, nothing really happens to Britain and the EU collapses, the Union itself that is, not member countries economies

The EEC was formed in the first place, really just to try stop you all invading each other for the 100th time

17. Balbus

Van

Have you got anything fucking new to say you’ve pumped out that sorry Y2K joke twice already in this thread and actually the joke is really on you as it backs up what we are saying -

Here is my reply from the last time Post 464

I was around at the time and a lot of time effort and money was spent making sure there was a smooth transition. People saw the possible problems and dangers and planned to mitigate them – the Brexiteers seem to dismiss planning prefering wishful thinking instead.

Here is something

Developers wish people would remember what a big deal the Y2K bug was

Jacob Rees-Mogg, an outspoken Conservative MP, sits firmly within the Brexit camp, and recently described the consequences of a no-deal exit scenario as being exaggerated “much like the millennium bug.” The complicated realities of Brexit aside, this remark has annoyed developers d’un certain age who remember the Y2K panic, and dedicated years of their lives to ensuring the worst predictions never came to pass.

The Y2K bug essentially was the product of a time when memory was prohibitively expensive. To save space, years would be represented as two digits rather than four — so, instead of ‘1999’ you’d have ’99’. The problem is, when the millennium happens, it’d be like if the clock went backwards to 1900. This would result in all sorts of hilarious (like, newborn babies being issued birth certificates dated 1900 hilarious) and non-hilarious (banking and military computers not working properly) SNAFUs.

Solving the Y2K bug was an immense task. It involved the efforts of countless developers around the world, and if it wasn’t for their efforts, things could have gone very badly.

In comparison, Brexit will make this look like a walk in the park, as the UK attempts to untangle itself from 40 years of European integration. In the case of a no-deal scenario, it’ll have to build entire regulatory bodies from scratch, and figure out legislation surrounding everything from food imports, to aviation, to customs.

So, nothing like the millennium bug then.

Developers wish people would remember what a big deal the Y2K bug was

18. Balbus

Van

As I’ve said when you post like this you just comes across as some petulant teenage boy, pimply, virginal and friendless suffering from a hygiene problem and [who I imagine] lives in the Mudgeeraba Caravan Village with his alcoholic grandmother.

If you have something worthwhile to post do so otherwise….

19. Balbus

Bill

LOL - Thing is if there is a law saying we cannot leave without a deal – and then if we have no deal, what then, are we not allowed to leave?

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  20. lode

lode One Man Orgy

UK, your nation is in decision paralysis.

Any option you choose will be less painful than this.

Why not do a trial separation. Negotiate a 6 month exit with the EU, and hold a referendum on the original Brexit in 6 months. You'll probably end up begging them to take you back, but at least you'll get to see what it's like.