Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

The EU doesn't want to give us a good deal as a warning to other member States not to even consider leaving. That much is obvious. We are being punished.

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Ged

Yes I know that is the line been pushed by the leavers – it’s not the leavers fault the unicorn didn’t arrived it’s the fault of the nasty EU for not producing one.

Sorry this doesn’t stand up – the EU made their position clear from the beginning, it became very obvious very quickly that the people wanting to leave didn’t have a clue what to do.

The EU made it clear they were not going to allow the UK to cherry pick from the four principles (free movement of goods, services, capital and people) of the EU and made its position on the Irish border clear (there could be no hard border).

The Tory’s tried to cherry pick and ignore the Irish border issue they wanted there cake and to eat it too and the EU kept saying that wasn’t going to happen.

We as a country had a good deal (negotiated in part by Margret Thatcher) and we were not going to get a better one by leaving and that was explained by the EU (and the remainers) before the referendum.

We punished ourselves it has nothing to do with the EU.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    EloiseAtThePlaza and McFuddy like this.
  3. HypeBoy1

HypeBoy1 Members

I think they made the right choice. In any case, at the beginning there was a break of many contracts and this collapsed the pound. But now the economy is recovering.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

That's all a little premature don't you think?

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Vanilla

Premature for what?

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Hype

Why do you think it is a good idea?

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Five months to go and still no agreement

As of writing its 134 days away

And STILL no realistic agreement.

We have yet another version of what has failed before, a dogs dinner of a thing that no one (even those that drafted it) thinks is a good deal.

It’s likely to be rejected by the EU and by the British parliament and has already resulted oin two resignation s for the May government including ANOTHER Brexit minister.

And there are only five months to go

The problem is that we were never going to get as sweet a deal as we had so anything was and is going to be worse.

A lot of people seem to have voted to leave the EU based on lies misdirection’s or some nationalistic fantasy to some long lost empire, and it is disheartening a rational person to find that some at least carry on holding on to these views and carry on believing the lies.

I mean you ask brexiteers about their plans for the future and I often get in reply a repartition of meaningless buzz words or some jingoistic rant (backed with a rendition of ‘Land of hope and glory’) about how great Britain and the British are but it all seems devoid of any rational substance.

Remember just 134 days to go

8. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

None of the above !

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mally

What does that mean? Have you anything of substance to say?

Come on mate, if you have some rational argument present it don’t just jump in with some crap and them run away it does nothing to help your side of the argument.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  10. lode

lode Banned

Island folks always want all the good parts of the relationship.

Vote of no confidence in May as important Brexit negotiators resign. I honestly think the UK will need to hold another vote on this.

I don't see any way for the UK to have a hard exit and keep it's economy intact. So now it's going to be brutal negotiations of how soft the exit will be. Negotiations aren't based on fairness, they are based on what each party has to bargain with, and the EU has more cards to play in that negotiation.

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Which is a rational argument and I’ve presented it to Leavers and been told that I’m a traitor putting down Britain and the British and if I only stopped ‘remoaning’ and believed in this country everything will be better and brighter and Britain will be great again…

It’s hard to have a rational debate with people that seem to honestly believe in magic that if we all just believe hard enough and click our heals three times everything will be wonderful.

12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I could get into this but I just want it over, to be honest. Eternal Brexit bubble is driving everyone nuts. Of course if May calls a snap general erection and Flavour are able to be sneaking in, I would be well pleased. But that still seems unlikely.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

One of the big problems (as I noted earlier in this thread) was that many in the remain camp, during the referendum campaign, suggested Britain would instantly feel the negative effects of a leave vote.

That wasn’t going to happen and didn’t happen (although the pound slumped) the problems were all going to be accumulative and long term, because any deal could not be as good as remaining in the EU.

And even remainers thought a deal would be struck, I mean the leavers had been calling for us to leave for years so they must have thought thing through

But no they didn’t have a clue what to do and not knowing what to do many are just waiting to leave without one and hope for the best

The thing is that a crash out of the EU without a deal is likely to actually have an instant and negative effect but many don’t believe that because of those earlier doom mongers.

14. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I don't have a side of the argument I voted to leave the eu it's true but none of what we voted for has (or is ever likely to) happen because people that dont understand what was voted for have done their best to fuck it up !! What more do you want from me ?
    I didn't vote for a deal or a divorce just out how hard can that be

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Ah ha. I am not getting into this. I don't know what I think really.

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

What do you think that would mean?

17. But you can't get out without a deal or a divorce though....?

What now, looks like the leave campaign lacked any coherent plan, and didn't expect having to compromise as much.

The EU is looking after its own interests, as it should.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Ged

Did you vote in the referendum?

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'll be honest. No I didn't vote. I don't understand Brexit. I thought I did. And then I just decided to be a poet instead. Brexit makes for very bad poetry. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Ged

LOL well you could help by not posting in this thread although if you do have something of substance to add i be glad to hear it.