Brexit anybody?

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Mayvern, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"No 10's fear is, even if they say "maybe we could pass the bill in a fortnight," that delay might turn into a long one, tangling with Parliament and losing control of the timetable.

Just as Parliament doesn't trust the prime minister, the prime minister and his team don't trust Parliament.

Opposition parties have no interest really in helping Boris Johnson to complete the passage of this bill. They want to disrupt it for perfectly obvious and legitimate political reasons"

PM to seek election if EU agrees three-month delay

Mayvern likes this.
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

A few quite knowledgeable people I have spoken to, assume that France want to see how things go for us, before giving the 'V' sign to the EU themselves.
    After all, they know the horrors of German occupation far better than we do. :yum::yum::yum:

Mayvern likes this.
  3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Opposition parties are straining at the leash for a General Election, but only AFTER the 'no deal' issue is resolved once and for all !!!

When all that is resolved and a General Election is called, we can all celebrate that the scumbag 'nasty party' are, once and for all destroyed not only as a government but hopefully wiped outn as an opposition party too !!!

Mysteron likes this.
  4. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I hope you are right. However I think its going to be a close result .

5. Vladimir Illich

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont think it will be close at all. Tories will end up with a bigger majority

Mayvern likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

In my view the Labour party best way of serving the country at this time would be to push for a people confirmation vote – we have a deal so pit that deal against remain.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

General Election

I would wish (without much hope) for a left and left of centre coalition to directly oppose the right, but I don’t think Corbyn in his hubris will play ball. I’m also hoping that the rights vote might be split between the Tories Brexit deal and the Brexit Party pushing for a no deal.

But at this moment and in these ‘interesting times’ I’m unsure what will happen.

What I will say is that with Dominic Cummings running things backed by a now rabid right wing press it is likely to be a low and dirty campaign.

Mysteron likes this.
  9. Captain Scarlet

I have just been looking at the predicted results. All by one are indicating a small Tory majority which could be over turned or added too by a coalition agreement . I guess the Tories can't rely on the DUP this time as they have already mugged them off over the Back stop .It should be an interesting election.

Balbus likes this.
  10. Vladimir Illich

With the scumbag 'nasty party' its never been anything different !!!

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

At least try come up with something less childish sounding than scumbag nasty party

12. Vladimir Illich

Wasn't me who named it so, but a former scumbag 'nasty party' Prime Minister !!!

Theresa May/'nasty party - YouTube

13. Mayvern

Mayvern Members

It has been a "Low and Dirty" campaign in the commons with the remainers lying about the fact that they previously wanted to leave.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or.....its becoming a lot more evident Labour, especially Corbyn as well as the DUP have been far more interested in their personal political aspirations

Mallyboppa likes this.
  15. Vladimir Illich

I see the knuckle dragger has deigned to come out of hibernation !!!

16. Captain Scarlet

That's probably true of most MPs across the House .

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Remember why we got here.

Cameron purely for personal and party political gain – called for an ill-advised and not thought through yes/no referendum

He did it because he was worried by the number of traditionally Conservative voters would said hey would vote UKip in any election.

He did it because he didn’t believe people would be mad enough to vote against Britain’s’ and their own personal self-interests.

It was probably the dumbest example of short term political self interest in the history of Britain.

18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Why the problem

What we have is two forms of democracy in conflict

1) Representative Democracy – where people vote for someone (usually in a political party) based on the detailed policies that have been put forward to tackle multiple issues.

2) Plebiscite Democracy – voting Yes or No on something with no detail over one issue.

So you have people that would vote for a party base on the first but on the second be in conflict with that party.

We have those that are Conservative voters that are for remain and Labour voters who are for leave

The thing is that Representative Democracy is based on the idea that the representative works in the best interests of the voters, but in Plebiscite Democracy it doesn’t matter about what is best for the voter it is just a matter of implementing what has been asked for.

So do representatives push for what they think is best for the people they represent or to implement what has been asked for by voters even while believing that isn’t in the voter’s best interests?

The conflict between these two forms of democracy have been shaking the UK’s political system apart.

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

What has been done to try and deal with the problem

To carry on from the above

Political leaders have been trying to cope with the conflict described above in different ways.

Corbyn has tried to sit on the fence, in the hope of trying to placate both sides through the representative Party system, saying he could get a left wing deal and then later saying he would then put that to a second vote. It has ended up with him and the Labour party been mistrusted by all sides of the Plebiscite vote.

Theresa May also tried to conform to the representative party system and appease the differing wings in her party, the hard leavers and the moderate ones and the one that wanted to remain, that didn’t turn out well because there was no detail as to what leave meant and so there were many often contradictory versions of leave, and her version of a deal could never appeal to all of them.

The Boris Johnson/Dominic Cummings led Conservative Party seems to be dealing with the problem by dumping the old version of representative system and trying to embracing the plebiscite. So they have been trying to circumvent the conventions of representative democracy while basically purging the Party of anyone that is opposed to the results of the plebiscite.

I think they hope by doing this they can get the support of leave voters that would usually vote for other political groups in enough numbers to get them over the line in a general election, and I’m afraid they could be right, but if they do I don’t think it would bode well for the future of any type of democracy in the UK.

20. Mayvern

Mayvern Members