Brexit – The Death of a Unicorn

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Brexit - The Death of a Unicorn

The unicorn is a creature of light and magic of power and majesty, its can heal all ills and brings blessings to any place it resides.

To kill it was a sin but unicorn horn was sold by apothecaries as a ward against poison right up to the late medieval period and even as later as 1609, Thomas Decker speaks of the horn of a unicorn as being worth “half a city”.

There were those that have believed in unicorns throughout history there were those that believed in the creature of magic and light and those that thought of it as natural animal of flesh and blood some because they knew no better other out of hope or delusion.

Unicorns don’t exist

Unicorns are a myth

Unicorns can be promised they can’t be delivered

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mallyboppa

I mean is a silly t-shirt video all you have, after all these years you still can't defend Brexit in any rational or reasonable way - isn't that rather sad.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

What I find sad is you and your stupid Obsession if you really want to know ! Didnt you like the T shirt video ? it was far more interesting than anything about unicorns

Renn likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What T shirt video?

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

Have you asked yourself this - If the subject of Brexit means so little to you why are you trying to disrupt the debate?

6. Rots in hell

He Deleted it because it has no Unicorns in it !

Renn likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Because Mal still can't can't defend Brexit in any rational or reasonable way so has to post video's of women in t-shirts instead, as i say rather sad

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, Brexit or no Brexit

UK/ Europe, that whole continent will be screwed for decades now because of the overreaction to Sars-CoV-2

mysticblu21 likes this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

An English Unicorn

I don’t know who first equated Brexit to a unicorn but is fits – many thought Brixt would be a panacea for all Britain’s problems that it would bless Britain and heal its ills.

And when I say Britain I mainly mean here England, there are Scots and Welsh and Irish that supported leaving the EU but there was never a majority.

But it has to be remembered that the myth of Brexit didn’t just appear it was built.

For many years a lot of time, energy and money was spent building the myth that all Britain’s problems were due to our membership of the EU and that the solution to that situation was to leave.

Just as the myth of the unicorn was built on fairy tales, rumours and unreliable witnesses so the Brexit myth grew out of half-truths, innuendo and out and out lies.

The Common Market and later Union was always a great whipping boy and scapegoat. It was full of the foreigners the English liked to make fun of or insult all those frogs, spics, ities and krauts not to mention the Irish.

To a certain type of English person the French and Italians are cowards, the Germans are dangerous but ‘we’ beat them in two world wars, the Spanish are lazy and the Irish are stupid.

There were those that worked on such petty xenophobia in the sense that it was alright to sell these foreigners stuff it was quite another to have them telling ‘us’ what to do. And of course there was the misdirection of immigration.

Politicians from the two major parties also could find the EU as a good scapegoat often blaming any problems that had come about because of policies they supported on ‘Brussels Bureaucrats’.

But in the end the desire for Brexit came down to ignorance and feelings, the feeling that ‘we’ were better than ‘them’ and ignorance over just how much the UK actually benefited from been in the EU.

But unicorns can only be promised they can’t be delivered and we are beginning to see what happens when fantasy collides with reality.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    MeAgain likes this.
  10. Rots in hell

So you going on about " Unicorns " (which were never promised or even their existance claimed ) is rational
    My problem here is that Brexit is done and dusted but some cant accept that it happened ??
    reality is We Left , Fantasy is you keep going on about it as though you can make a difference the EU is like your beloved "Unicorn " you think the T Shirt video "rather sad" ? Its far more interesting than your Obsession I reckon !

11. Rots in hell

Anyone want to See the T shirt Video ?

mysticblu21 and Renn like this.
  12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Here is a slightly edited version of something I posted earlier this year

Brexit is a process

Ok there seems to be some confusions about Brexit and it should be remembered that it is a process not something with a definitive end, because it has to be remembered that Brexit was never (and still isn’t) defined.

Some what to say it is just the UK leaving the EU, but to me that is just one stage as the ramifications of leaving the EU are part of Brexit, her are what I see as the stages of Brexit

Stage One – the mistake

This was the demand for a referendum, the campaign and the vote.

In my opinion many people had already been softened up by years of anti-EU propaganda, migrant scaremongering and bamboozled by the lies of the leaver’s leadership.

Stage Two -the easy bit

The withdrawal agreement was meant to be the easy bit and not meant to take that long. And in the end Boris just caved in and gave the EU more than what it wanted including the border down the Irish Sea and a £7 billion gift to speed thing through.

Stage Three – the hard bit

The thing every analysts thought would and will be the hard bit - getting a trade agreement and few thought/think it will be as good as the one we had.

The least disruptive routes would be ‘soft’ style Brexits, basically what we have in the transition period we get the benefits of been in the EU but would have to follow its rules and have no say over them and possibly pay in more than we did as a member.

The further we get away from alignment the harder the deal will be to broker and that means the longer it will take to negotiate. A Canada type deal has been mooted but that took several years to put together.

The no-deal scenario is a misnomer as we would actually still need to negotiate a deal it’s just that we would have caused a whole load of mess walking away from the table, it’s like turning over a board game half way through then saying you want to finish the game so that everyone has to find all the cards pick up all the pieces and put them back where they were before etc, it’s a move that is likely to piss off the other players.

Dropping to WTO rules would be very problematic for the UK economy.

Stage Four – dealing with the world

Now some of this could be done during stage three but a lot of this is dependent on the outcome of stage three so that most of it will probably come after it.

Some look to a US deal but the indications are that they want the UK to basically unhook themselves for alignment with the EU27 and hook up to a US alignment. One person I know said this would make us into the 51st state, but someone else pointed out we would be more like Porto Rica, controlled by US policy, regulations and rule but with no say in it (as we had had in the EU)

Different time frames have been put on the length of this stage from 5 years to over 50 years

Stage Five – Was it worth it

Remember it was Jacob Rees-Mogg who pointed out that “We will not know the full economic consequences (of Brexit) for a very long time, we really won’t.” when pushed he said that we might not know for another 50 years. Others have put it at longer.

So the last stage of Brexit is basically an evaluation of Brexit.

Although it might end before that stage if people realise it was a big mistake and ask to re-join the EU.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh my poor delusional Mal, Brexit is a process and Brexit change has hardly begun – I mean we are still in the transition period meaning that although we have given up membership of the EU we are still basically living and trading under EU rules and regulations.

If anything we are still in the age before the Brexit era.

14. Rots in hell

I didnt say that ! you really cant accept reality can you ?

Renn likes this.
  15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

You didn’t say that you thought Brexit was ‘done and dusted’ – are you having memory problems like when you claimed you had voted to leave then months later began claiming you had voted to remain although you’ve never posted anything pro-remain and said that you had made up your mind to vote leave years before the vote?

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

To those that voted for Brexit

All I’m pointing out is that the policy of Brexit has consequences and repercussions that are all part of Brexit and those consequences and repercussions are going to play out over years, Brexit will be with us for years.

People will be pointing out that things are – because of Brexit, due to Brexit, a result of Brexit

I’m not saying that the policy of Brexit isn’t happening I’m saying that those that voted for it have to own the detrimental repercussions of what they voted for - they can’t wash their hand of what Brexit has and will cause and I can tell you no remainer takes any pleasure in saying we told you so, but the mistakes have to be highlighted so that hopefully they can be learnt from.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

A promise of Unicorns

The promise was that ‘we’ (and again that means the English in this context) would be better off outside the EU than in it, that we would be financially, politically, socially and even culturally better off outside the EU.

The English were told that they would be socially and culturally better off because they would not have to let in foreigners and immigrants and that politically they would be ‘free’ of outside interference.

These arguments were often vague and confused, for example nobody seemed to be able to specially explain what the interference was or what law or regulation was actually offensive and many seemed to think that the EU had control over UK immigration from countries outside the EU (for example from India or Pakistan) which it doesn’t been purely under UK control.

But above all and what was often repeated by leavers was that a non-EU Great Britain would be able to make better and greater trade deals with all the countries of the world who we were told would be beating down our door to trade with us.

As for trade with the EU we would be able to ‘have our cake and eat it’ in that we would receive all the benefits of frictionless free trade with the rest of Europe (the thing we already had) but we wouldn’t have to obey EU rules or regulation or pay the membership fee.

And we would get these things because we lived in Great Britain, a great nation with a proud history, and we imported a lot of things from the rest of the EU, so we were told it would be easy and simple.

The English lion would roar and the EU rats would capitulate and give us everything we wanted.

To leave was to gain the sunny upland and a country of milk and honey a fabled land of unicorns

18. Rots in hell

you will thats for sure ! Here is one of them for you to brag about

mysticblu21 and Renn like this.
  19. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And we all know what a lying, scumbag tow rag Boris is don't we ???

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL

Your putting up Gunnar Beck who many see as a neo-nazis and who is a member of the far-right Alternative for Germany party?

OK, if that is who you wish to be associated with that is up to you

But where are his figures, where is the evidence.

I mean this is just an anti-Merkel anti-EU rant