Brain Cell

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by kokoyo112, Jan 26, 2005.

1. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

Okay, I havn't smoked weed ... Can't get any.. But that is another story... I know a lot of people who will say weed kills braincells and then there are people who say it doesn't.. So I guess my questions is... Does it?

2. MagicSwhirlingShip

MagicSwhirlingShip Member

no, dont relay on health class for information.

3. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Smoking weed does kill brain cells. So does smoking a cigarette. So does inhaling smoke from a wood fire.

In all smoke, there is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide kills braincells.

That said, it doesn't really kill many cells. The reason they say it does? A scientist in the 50s or 60s did a study with monkeys, he wanted to see if smoking marijuana killed brain cells (he was doing a government-funded study, I think). But he was lazy, and instead of having the monkeys smoke joints like a human might, he put gas masks on them and forced the smoke of 63 joints' worth of marijuana into the monkeys' lungs in a period of 5 minutes. When he later killed the monkeys and dissected their brains, he found very damaged brain tissue. Well duh.

That study is the basis for the propoganda "weed kills brain cells," and is internationally seen as a joke of a study, laughable science.

4. jakesanders

jakesanders Senior Member

^never heard that

5. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

was that what that was.. I was looking though a national geographic(old one like 70's) and there was a picture of a monkey with a gas mask on... heh I thought it was funny... Maybe I should have read the article.

6. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

On whether or not marijuana kills brain cells I found this website (which seems fairly unbiased): http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

"MYTH: MARIJUANA KILLS BRAIN CELLS. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

FACT: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study."

7. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

no dude, smoke contains carbon monoxide... its on ciggarette warnings "warning: cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide"

monoxide CAN kill, but in smoke its not enough to hurt you too bad. but anyways, yeah, carbon monoxide is the reason people die of smoke inhalation.

8. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

Yea I read up some more on this my bad I'll edit the post.

9. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I know this, and you know this, but the american public in general doesn't. And because of that, the old monkey study is still cited even today by propogandists, even though it's internationally seen as a joke.

10. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

Dude it is so dumb... Cigs should be illegal and pot legal ... These people have it wrong.. Pot doesn't really kill... Not as much anyway. It doesn't contain the same harmful chemicals...

11. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

Tell me something I don't know... American politics are a hypocritical, illogical joke.

12. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

....at best.

13. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Play a tough game of football and you may loose even more

Same with setting your pyjamas' on fire

but theyre both legal, and promoted!

14. Jack_Straw2208

meh...

but yeah, smoking pot kills braincells, but so does existing...

braincell death doesnt fuck you up too bad till you're old and wrinkly..

but let it be said that pot>tobacco.. and all those harmful chemicals found in mj smoke can be reduced by waterbong, or eliminated by vaporizer or brownies...

and according to the US, marijuana has no medicinal use, among many other bad things (schedule I)... gay'd.

15. Jack_Straw2208

i'd like to thank "the jolta" for being such a good sport... *SPONTANIOUS AWARDING CEREMONY*

i' would like to give the jolta jackstraw2208's good sport award... he doesnt get anything, but if anyone asks, he's a good man.

16. EuphoricBallah

EuphoricBallah Member

i read like a year ago that ASU did a study and that weed doesnt kill braincells, it just pauses them, and eventually they will come back!

17. Abyle

Abyle Member

Don't set your pyjamas on fire. You're far too cute to die. :) Just stick to weed.

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well, i bet that study incorperated a lot of actual scientific research eh
    :rolleyes:

ASU= alabama stoner's union?