Boycotting the Olympics does not make any sense

Discussion in 'Protest' started by HARRYJIN, Mar 20, 2008.

1. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

I really hate to see politics bleed into the games.

These young people have trained so very hard. Its not right to steal their thunder.

This is their time, not ours.

x

2. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

Dear gardener

I think you mistake the truth of news with the number of news
    maybe because we major in different areas
    In science world, without integrit, logical, overwhelming proofs,
    we never make any conclusion

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Sorry wish I could buy into the Olympics are all about the athletes, but it just isn't so. And with all the reports of medalists using banned substances it not even fair competition any longer. It's all about money and influence.

For ybbhfdf I've seen very little that you have posted that has anything to do with integrity or logic, you seem to toe the government propagrandist line.

4. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/jamesreynolds/2008/06/limited_viewing.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/jamesreynolds/2008/06/olympic_torch_in_town.html

This blog is from James Reynolds, the BBC’s Beijing correspondent.
    This blog is where he’ll be sharing his thoughts on day-to-day life in China plus the big events, most notably the Olympic Games in 2008.

"We weren't given the chance to watch the relay itself as it went through the streets - the torch was cheered along by carefully chosen crowds. My colleagues and I did manage to wander about 20 metres or so from the site of the closing ceremony to film some roads which were closed off - but we were quickly stopped by officials who told us that we were banned from doing this. Just after midday, the closing ceremony came to an end, and we were allowed to walk away on our own. We passed one side street and saw a line of Uighur people who'd come out of their homes to catch sight of the relay. They were being watched by a police officer - he told us to stop filming them. So we walked on. We saw people slowly coming back onto the streets - to open up their shops. The Olympics came to their city - but not everyone got to see it. "

Security for the torch relay here in the Xinjiang region has been tremendously strict (this region is home to 8 million Uighur people, who are Muslims. China says it faces a real terrorist threat from Uighur separatists - a claim disputed by human rights groups.)

There tons of media reports from all different media sources. Let me know which media source is most convincing to you and I will find you somethings about chinese HR violations or a negative story about the olympics. Because so far all you seem to do is say how unreliable every news source is but that what, the media in China is telling the truth... Give me a break. And you never did respond to the obvious video source of the Chinese officials political remarks concerning the control of Tibet during a torch running speech...

5. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

I agree...

6. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Why should they? Good question. They are merely competitions to award skills in sporting events. What productive societal outcome do they have? Who profits from them? The winning athletes that gain sponsorship , venues who gain tourist trade and advertising dollars, and vendors that produce trinkets for the collectors market. What societal good do they serve? Just because they've taken place for centuries is not a good excuse. We now have many more means of entertaining ourselves than they did when the olympics were started. Lately more and more athletes aren't even competing fairly.

7. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

hi guys
    I recommend a forum for you
    http://www.anti-cnn.com/forum/en/
    wish you can post more on this and pursuade and effect more ppl
    or find more answers
    dont keep your mind, eyes, ears close

you may say Im a dreamer
    but Im not the only one

8. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

I'm pretty sure I'm not keeping my eyes ears and mind closed... but nothing you have said has convinced me of anything in your favor, in fact it just bolstered my original opinions.

I'm not going to another forum. This is my home.

What are you dreaming for? How about no countries? The world to live as one? All these can't come true if we torture and occupy countries. Goes for China and the US.

Last time we "enjoyed" Chinese products we found out they were covered in Lead. Good job guys. and I'm pretty sure Tibet doesn't have an evil dictator that invaded the neighboring country... so what is the excuse for invading Tibet? It better be good because we all know our excuse for entering Iraq was crap.

9. lode

lode Banned

And your nation also sends weapons to Islamic countries engaged in genocide.

The Sudan.

Don't take that as an insult. I love China, and I want to visit.

But I'm not particularly happy with your governments support of a genocidal regime in the Sudan.

So much so that I'm not watching the Olympics.