Boycotting the Olympics does not make any sense

Discussion in 'Protest' started by HARRYJIN, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

there is a old saying, no fight, never know each other. I know most protests have very kind hearts, they are nice dreamers but protest can hardly make any sense. protest can not change the trend of history comparing with scientific developments and wars.
    I find we have different thinkings about how to resolve social problems which I believe are derived from some basic objective causations and laws which can not be changed by humanbeings just like Newton's law. although human beings are the major composition of societies. Briefly, the law can be illustrated as:
    unfair result from social structure depends on productivity depends on science and technology.
    we can not change the law but we can understand it and utilize it.
    I'm not triing to deney the function of protest, most occations timely protest can catalyze social changes, but unless the basic causation is changed, protest will be useless.
    Proof of this law is so conspicuous: humanbeings use stone tools in slavery society, use iron tools in feudalism society, use machines in capitalism society.
    I used to dreaming for a political career but I quited when I realized the corruption of our goverment and this law, now I major in chemistry
    it's a long time I have not bother myself to know what's going on in political world till I read some distorted news which really make me stunned and very angry.

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

One, what is your "law" based on?
    and 2 what is the distorted news your hearing and how do you hear it?

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I see that The Prime Minister of Japan and The President of The US will attend opening ceremonies of the Bejing Olympics.

Bush said it would be disrespectful to Chineese people not to go.

Good thing to take the opportunity to reach out to the people of China to express good will and honor the acomplishments of that nation by attending the ceremonies. There will always be time for diplomacy later.

Let the athletes have thier day.

It seems a paradox where a certain political class demands unconditional negotiaons with terror suporting, nuke building nations. This same political class is advocating boycoting China's Olympic games.

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I don't think those of us advocating negotiations with Iran have ever been against boycotts or sanctions being imposed on them. Perhaps we should even impose some on the Saudis who were responsible for the bombings on 09/11, and who are now building nuke capabilities with the blessing of our President. Hard to understand just how he chooses his friends.

5. Stonie

Stonie Member

they destroyed a Masjid in china just because the Masjid's guys refused to put olympics signposts on masjid's walls .

fuck that ....

6. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

show me your information resource pls

7. Stonie

Stonie Member

i don't have that news paper right now but if i get it i will tell you

sorry,

8. gardener

http://digg.com/world_news/China_demolishes_mosque_for_not_supporting_Olympics
    http://jonathanturley.org/2008/06/2...efuses-to-put-up-signs-cheering-the-olympics/

9. gardener

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/ts_nm/olympics_mosque_dc

Your government is even invoking the evil boogieman Al Qaeda, what did the Bush administration prep you? Sorry but most the western world won't any longer buy into the hype. You'll have to come up with something better than Bin Laden on this one.

10. gardener

Hope you don't mind me helping out.

11. gardener

What there was no media information on it in China?

12. gardener

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2008/06/23/9867.shtml

Are all these reports lies?

13. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

The Olympic torch relay passed through Xinjiang last week under tight security, with all but carefully vetted residents banned from watching on the streets and tight controls over foreign media covering the event.

[​IMG]

China Planning a Surreal Facade for Summer Olympic Games: Beijing 2008
    By John E. Carey
    Peace and Freedom
    July 9, 2007

Few could have anticipated the run of bad publicity, crises and scandals that China has weathered since about last winter or spring.

First, pets in America became sick and many died. The illness was traced to Chinese-made pet food laced with a fertilizer component named melamine. Companies in China had illegally added melamine to wheat gluten and rice protein in a bid to meet the contractual demand for the amount of protein in the pet food products.

After that, the Food and Drug Administration in the United States began to take a harder look at a host of Chinese products imported into the U.S.

The FDA ended up barring most seafood from China (where we in the U.S. get about 1/3 of our shrimp, much of our catfish and other “farm raised” seafood products) because much of it contained drugs, bacteria or other suspicious or obviously harmful products.

Not only was imported seafood tainted, but the FDA began turning away tons of other food products – some of it contaminated, some filled with toxins and other products full of bacteria.

Products like toothpaste, chewing gum and even soy sauce were found to be made with toxic ingredients. Roughly 900,000 tubes of Chinese made toothpaste containing a poison used in some antifreeze products turned up in U.S. hospitals for the mentally ill, prisons, juvenile detention centers and even some hospitals serving the general population.

Then the Colgate-Palmolive Company announced that it had found counterfeit “Colgate” toothpaste containing the anti-freeze diethylene glycol, a syrupy poison.

Although tainted or poorly made and tested food from China was first noticed in the United States and other western nations, once China checked its own store shelves it found problems.

Inspectors in southwest China’s Guangxi region found excessive additives and preservatives in nearly 40 percent of 100 children’s snacks sampled during the second quarter of 2007, according to a report on China’s central government Web site.

The snacks — including soft drinks, candied fruits, gelatin desserts and some types of crackers — were taken from 70 supermarkets, department stores and wholesale markets in seven cities in the region, it said.

Only 35 percent of gelatin desserts sampled met food standards, the report said, while two types of candied fruit contained 63 times the permitted amount of artificial sweetener.

And if substandard children’s snacks weren’t bad enough, China and the U.S. FDA uncovered a huge racket in substandard medicines. One manufacturer of medicines was implicated in 11 deaths. Five manufactures lost the ability to continue in the business. And 128 drug makers lost their Chinese government Good Manufacturing Practice certificates, a symbol of favorable performance, the China Daily newspaper reported on its Web site.

We also saw, thanks to an aroused international media, child laborers illegally producing Beijing Olympics 2008 memorabilia. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse for China, a slavery scandal erupted. Slaves were found mining materials and making bricks inside China.

The United Nations condemned China for the worst pollution in the world. China also produces more greenhouse gases than any other nation by far.

Despite China’s long history for managing its media and controlling what the world learned about the People’s Republic, stories surfaced and were verified that showed an illegal trade in “harvested” human organs from inside China. Unscrupulous doctors and businessmen teamed up to create a thriving business in human organs. The problem was that the organs came from prisoners and the mentally ill, who had no say in the matter and died before they could become witnesses to this atrocity.

Add to this a long and unresolved dispute about the way China controls its currency and a thriving business inside China in counterfeit goods: everything from U.S. music and motion pictures to Rolex watches, books and, well, you name it.

China tried to market a new Chinese made automobile to the upscale European buyer but the vehicle disintegrated in a 40 MPH crash test. Now Europeans wouldn’t be, well, caught dead in the thing.

So from May until July 2007, despite the Chinese News Spin Machine going full tilt the bad news about China seemed to be spinning out of control.

Just today, July 7, 2007, the Central Committee of the Communist Party seemed to be threatening local leaders who allow social unrest. “Officials who perform poorly in maintaining social stability in rural areas will not be qualified for promotion,” Ouyang Song, a senior party official in charge of personnel matters said, according to China’s Official Communist News media.

All these problems don’t even trump China’s most horrible foreign policy disaster: Suport for Sudan without taking action on Darfur. The U.N. and others have referred to Sudan’s conduct in Darfur as genocide. And Hollywood big shots are already calling next summer’s Olympics in Beijing the “genocide games.”

Not to worry, though. China’s communist leadership still plans a masterful and error free Beijing Olympics 2008.

The communist government of China is taking action to streamline what the western media sees next summer. Smokey, coal-fired factories are even being moved out of Beijing and into the countryside because their effluent looks so disgusting there was fear these factories alone could cause a major embarrassment.

Beijing’s population had a practice “No Spiting Day” in an effort to reduce this disgusting habit common in the city. The test was a disastrous failure and a new training approach is planned. Beijing also had a day devoted to polite lining up for buses and trains. This worked out a little better with the obedient and terrified city workers not taking any chances.

During the Olympics, communist leaders in Beijing plan to remove from the city the hordes of vagrants, homeless people and orphaned children who live on Beijing’s streets. Some estimate that as many as 2 million orphaned or homeless children live in Beijing alone.

In order to assess what can be done about Beijing’s choked streets overwhelmed by traffic; and to see if a dent can be made in the choking air pollution, one million Beijing automobile drivers will have to stay at home or use mass transit on a day scheduled to test the impact of all of this. Beijing only has 3 million registered automobiles so inconveniencing one-third of them for one day should hardly impact the economy, right? But if the test is a success, one would have to remind China that the Olympics is not a one day event.

When all this is assessed together, one might ask, when we get to Beijing next summer for the Olympic Games, how much of what we see will be real? And how much is a product of the smoke and mirrors China often employs to produce the desired result.

14. lode

lode Banned

I am not concerned with Tibet.

My reasons for boycotting the Olympics was decided a few days ago at the G-8 convention. I am also deeply disappointed at my country because of this.

I am doing it because China continues to ship arms to Khartoum. I'm doing it because this makes China the primary sponsor of the Janjaweed raids on Darfur. China is liable for the genocide in Darfur.

15. freedom2020

freedom2020 Member

If over a million people are forced out of the homes for something such as the Olympics then the spirit is already not good. It will be up to the participants to bring the light.

16. guy

guy Senior Member

switch off the tv and refuse to have anything to do with the olympics

17. gardener

That's what I plan on doing. I have no interest in this Olympic Games.

18. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

Stonie, you are a very honest and pious person but you also are a person who may be easily engage in something
    pls convince yourself before protest

In China especially Xingjiang province, there are many Islams
    we resepect Islams even more than ourselves
    there are many priorites for Islams and minorities at least I know
    one clearly, as a student
    In China, which university you can be enrolled totally depends on the score of a very important exam, and children of minorities can add 10 marks in their scores. dunt take the 10 marks as nothing, in 2007, there are more than 10 million students take the exam.

19. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

Thanks for the information provided by gardener
    now let's open this website and take a simple investigation on it

let's examine the news resource firt. I think seldom may find this website
    because it's found by Chechen internet agency. but we may found it as long as we input some some keywords on google, right? gardener?

actually we nearly can find any news we want by using google
    sb may know little about Chechen just as I do, but at least I do know that
    Chechen likes America who support their independent and hates China who do not.

now let's go to the news itself. one picture, some comments
    what's the picture can tell us?? but we can make up many stories based on this photo.
    now let's move to the rediculous words, sentences

"Thus, the Chinese authorities ordered to destroy the mosque in East Turkestan, whose imam refused to put up a sign of summer Olympics in Beijing on its façade. "
    1 is there any country in the world excepte Uncle Sam :hat: can order other counties?
    2 as Chinese, I hope you understand that we never put any sign on any temple or mosque or church

"Reuters reported that the official order to destroy the mosque was issued by the authorities of Xinjiang province. "
    OMG, I never no China was so strong that even province officers can make decisions for other countries, be mature guys

20. gardener

What about the Reuter's report? And isn't that how a search engine works, much as the old card catalogs in free libraries you look up key words? How exactly do you find your information?

I could also bring up these reports:

http://www.zenit.org/article-22851?l=english
    http://radiofreechina.wordpress.com/2007/12/15/countdown-to-the-beijing-olympics-2008/
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/Story?id=3604695&page=1

Would you like to see more?