Boycotting the Olympics does not make any sense

Discussion in 'Protest' started by HARRYJIN, Mar 20, 2008.

1. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I am not so concerned about Tibet as I am about Chinese policies concerning human rights abuses. Let's talk about the people displaced during the building of the Olympic complex.

While we are at it let's talk about lead based toys sold to the western world, let's talk about poison laced pet food. Let's talk about transplant organs harvested from prisoners.

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Hell, let's talk about clean air!
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23581237/

updated 6:28 p.m. ET, Tues., March. 11, 2008
    BEIJING - Beijing will meet its pledge to have clean air for the Summer Olympics, an environmental official said Tuesday, downplaying worries the city's notorious smog will overshadow the Games.
    State Environmental Protection Administration Vice Minister Zhang Lijun said measures to cut pollution in Beijing and surrounding areas are being intensified to ensure the city's air is up to the required standards.
    Zhang's claim came a day after world marathon record holder Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia said he would skip the long-distance running event in Beijing because of the city's poor air quality.
    Considered the world's best distance runner, the 34-year-old Gebrselassie — who has asthma — fears his health could be damaged by running through the streets of the Chinese capital.

3. gardener

Is not your government and all high ranking officials communist? I personally don't hold communism as a big bad boogeyman. But you seem to. They may be a very small portion of your population, but they certainly hold high office.

Main office holders aren't they all communists?

President Hu Jintao
    Premier of the State Council Wen Jiabao
    Vice Premiers
    Wu Yi
    Zeng Peiyan
    Hui Liangyu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_China

4. gardener

Let's!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070709-china-pollution_2.html

Let's talk about how US dollars are being spent but data is being withheld, and probably manipulated.

5. gardener

Or how about the fact that the US taxpayers footed the bill for improved air quality in Beijing:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-04/dnl-ahi041307.php

Funny but I can't seem to find any figures on how much we spent. They now own us with our trade deficit with them, why should we be paying to ensure they can hold a money making venture?

6. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

may be the hobby of somebody is to collect bad news of China
    and believe the information without any survey or further proof
    transplant organs harvested from prisoners.....do we Chinese live in the hell??

some of my relations live in Beijing, but they know nothing about the people displaced because of building the Olympic complex
    a law about housebreaking and moving have made several years ago, compensate should be reasonable
    when consider China, pls don't just do the simplest compare with American, there are too many differences to make the compare
    basically we have different history, different population, different geographical conditions

lead based toys, prison pet food, do you have a department called CIQ (custom) ?? Can we sell any commodity in USA without any inspection of CIQ??

7. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Just because an inspector watching a giant influx of overseas made products misses the fact that China recently has used lead paint in a variety of products does not put the blame on the inspector. Just because the public is not able to initially notice something wrong with a product right away does not mean it's the public's fault. The blame still lies with the manufacturer.

As for the people displaced by the olympics. If you live in China why don't you google the article............ oh wait.

8. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Why do you find it justifiable to validate the actions of China by pointing to one of the most horrible injustices to a native people in America's history. Thats like saying, "we can do what we want in Tibet, look at Hitler."

9. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

I have watched a video from Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBFCr673H4&feature=related
    as a Chinese, I am very glad I can understand both the Chinese and English
    words
    at first, I should tell a true phenomenon I found recently
    I found in our country, the media mainly tell us the good things going on
    and on the contrary, western media mainly tell you what bad going on in China

some pictures in this video show senery of big city but I doubt if all this video was took in Beijing or not because many the Chinese people in the section 2 of this video didnot speak in Beijing accent (I had study in Beijing for one year)

But I really believe and understand what's going on which is really unfair and things like this happens many years ago but not because of Olympic buildings.
    some land agents collude with local governers even gangdom to force common people sell their land, houses at very low price. Living in a small town, even my house was threatened at that time.
    (so, many many unfair things are not as simple as those can be conluded in just one obscure word---human right or can be solved by protest even by war.)
    graudally goverment noted the evil affairs and issued a law to prohibit unfair land collection and thus my families no longer worry about our house. But I believe sometime it still happens which depends on the ability of land agents.
    I also believe corruption should take the responsibility.
    at last, I'd like to remind you pls donot simply compare America with China. we have more than 3 folds population than you, it should be uneasy to manage the country. and every aspects inluding economy, politics, argriculture, science.... are lagging, From 1840 to 1970, our country was suffering endless wars and chaos
    I think the most efficient way to improve our lives is not protest but development

10. ybbhfdf

ybbhfdf Member

I should say sry to gardener, I seldom hear the news about native Americans
    so I opinionatedly think there is no native Americans left, you show me the evidence and I will check it

but I should claim that I am not justifing so called Tibet genocide,
    what I want to say is Tibet genocide dose not exist eventually

11. gardener

A little information on those displaced for this glorious event:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/appeals-for-action/permission-denied-housing-rights-activist-prison

12. gardener

It appears you can, with no legal action taken by the US government. I realize the inaction of the US government isn't your fault. But if my only recourse is that of a consumer then boycotting goods manufactured in your country is something I'll have to take.

13. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

um, when?

14. gardener

Nothing truly exists if you pretend it doesn't.

15. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

In the youtube video, the first thing said is, "They don't want any display of discontent." By the way, this seems to be a British video not an American one.

How do you inspire development? Development of what? Land development? Quality of life development?

16. gardener

Are you saying this hasn't and still doesn't happened?

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/rm/2001/3792.htm

17. Whiskers123

Whiskers123 Member

I dont understand why the Chinese on this forum, compare themselves to what the majority of the world would say is the country who has murdered and destroyed more than any other nation (America) to some how make there country look good.

Being the second worst nation in the world is still horrible!

18. forrealz

forrealz Banned

If you do business with Walmart,and other big chains etc.,now even American drug companies are making medications in China,you indirectly are supporting China.So what difference do the Olympics make?

19. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

What is you don't shop walmart, visit aryuvedic doctors (most of my drugs are from india and stateside) and only buy American?

20. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member