Boris Johnson Quits as UK Prime Minister

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by ~Zen~, Jul 7, 2022.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

He's been on our watch list for some time now, wondering when his head would fall.

Well, I head the cheery news this morning that he has resigned.

Michel Barnier, who was the EU’s Brexit negotiator, says Boris Johnson’s resignation should open a “new page” in UK relations with the EU.

[​IMG]

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

From the Guardian:
    by Jonathon Freedland

Lies and a brazen contempt for the rules powered his rise; lies and a brazen contempt for the rules brought his fall. Which means the political odyssey of Boris Johnson has a curious symmetry. Except that what began as defects in the personality of one man ended as defects in his party and his government, inflicting great damage on the entire country.

The lies that proved his undoing are now all too familiar. The last, fatal lie was his claim that he had not been told directly of complaints of sexual misconduct committed by the former deputy chief whip Chris Pincher, a claim rapidly exposed as false in a rare intervention from a former permanent secretary at the Foreign Office, Simon McDonald. It turned out that Johnson had indeed been briefed about Pincher, and that once again Johnson had not told the truth.

But though that newest dishonesty was the last straw first for Sajid Javid, then minutes later for Rishi Sunak, and, over the dizzying 36 hours that followed, dozens of others, triggering a wave of resignations and withdrawals of backbench support that ultimately brought Johnson’s removal, it was hardly what broke the Johnson premiership.

Instead it was the pattern of repeated mendacity that proved too much to bear both for Johnson’s previous chancellor and his hastily installed successor, his health secretary and a slew of more junior colleagues, a pattern so firmly established in the public mind that even his closest lieutenants could deny it no longer. Central to it, of course, is the scandal known as Partygate.

Johnson had stood before the country in one of the darkest hours of the postwar era and promised that we were all in this together, that the lockdown regulations that kept loved ones from each other, even as they drew their last breath, applied to everyone including him.

But, as the nation discovered nearly two years later, that was not true. He broke those rules, indeed he broke the law and “presided over a culture of casual law-breaking”, in the words of an earlier resigner, the former minister and one-time ally Jesse Norman, even in the very building where those laws were drawn up, seeing himself as “free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else”, to quote the Eton housemaster who had spotted that same trait in Johnson 40 years earlier. He lied again when he told parliament he was shocked and “sickened” to discover parties had taken place in Downing Street, when he knew all too well they had taken place because he attended those parties himself.

3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To the tune of that well known Thacherite (phth, phth, phth) song :

"Ding, dong, the Bastard's gone .......... "

Captain Scarlet and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. ~Zen~

How long can he cling in power as caretaker?

5. Vladimir Illich

Only until the Dept of Work & Pensions catch up with him and offer him a job as sewer worker at half minimum wage !!!

6. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I say sooner the better!

7. Vladimir Illich

I've been saying that these past three years !!!

Captain Scarlet, ~Zen~ and Candy Gal like this.
  8. Candy Gal

I know. You don't usually get me on politics.
    But I hate BJ.

9. Vladimir Illich

Join the end of the enormously long queue Candy darlin'

10. Candy Gal

True so true

11. Vladimir Illich

Some enterprising wag has placed a waxworks model of Boris in a queue outside a Job Centre :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Boris Johnson waxwork appears outside jobcentre as PM quits as Tory leader

Lottie Kilraine
    7 July 2022, 2:04 pm
    [​IMG]
    Members of the public pose with the wax figure of Boris Johnson (Peter Byrne/PA)
    A wax figure of Boris Johnson has appeared outside a jobcentre as the Prime Minister resigned as Tory leader.

Members of the public posed with the waxwork, created by Madame Tussauds Blackpool, that had been positioned outside a Jobcentre Plus in the Lancashire town.

The waxwork version of Mr Johnson stood grinning with his hands on his hips, dressed in a suit with a powder-blue tie and his signature messy hair.

Mr Johnson resigned as Conservative leader on Thursday in the face of a mass exodus of Government ministers.

A new Tory leader will now be elected who will replace Mr Johnson in No 10.

[​IMG]
    Madame Tussauds in London updated its 10 Downing Street display (Madame Tussauds London/PA)
    Meanwhile, Madame Tussauds in London updated its 10 Downing Street display with a sign saying “vacancy”.

The display now shows the newly resigned Tory leader standing next to a Downing Street sign smiling at the door to Number 10.

As the Number 10 leadership race begins, Madame Tussauds confirmed Mr Johnson’s wax figure will be removed from the Baker Street attraction when he is officially no longer Prime Minister.

12. Candy Gal

13. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

Well I saw that coming from thousands of miles away

14. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

15. sureño

sureño Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I thought Boris was younger, considering he has very young children. But I see that he is 58 years old. Well... it seems that's a characteristic he shares with our president Alberto Fernandez, who is 63 years old and has a newborn baby. :rolleyes:

Candy Gal, ~Zen~ and Captain Scarlet like this.
  16. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

What he will be remembered for from a none Tory point of view

[​IMG]

And of course Party Gate whilst nearly everyone else was obeying his COVID lockdown rules

[​IMG]

Candy Gal and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. Vladimir Illich

Seems the Japanese have more efficient ways to deal with a lying, fiddling, conniving Prime Minister. Boris had better watch his back very carefully.

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Candy Gal likes this.
  19. Vladimir Illich

The tune actually is entitled 'Yakkety Sax'

20. sureño

sureño Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nooooo Vladimir!... don't adopt the methods of the other Vladimir from Russia.
    I was surprised by this crime in Japan. I hope it is the work of an isolated madman and... nothing more.
    I consider Japan one of the countries that are one step ahead of the rest. Except with respect to Argentina, they are at least 5 steps ahead of us. :rolleyes:

~Zen~ and Candy Gal like this.