Boot up problem

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Bilby, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

A notebook of mine that has the OS on an M.2 HD will now only boot up to password . I hit Enter and the screen goes white. A stuffed HD?

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I will Email a few friends.
    See if they can help.

3. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

What operating system are you using? How old is the ssd drive?

4. Bilby

Windows 10. I bought the drive secondhand in E.bay 2 years ago.

5. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Bilby likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I recently lost a lot of stuff when my SSD drive when completely caput. But it was due to overheating as the fan had failed in the laptop it was inside of.

Best luck with that!

Totally Yoda likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Where is crystal lattice memory when needed?

8. Bilby

I fixed it. When the password box showed up, I moused over the power button at the bottom right of the screen and did a re-start.

~Zen~ and Totally Yoda like this.
  9. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Good stuff. Happy to hear it's fixed.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

We do daily backups to our file server which is all mechanical drives. SSD's only last for so long. Our plans for SSD's is to swap them with new after the 5 year warranty is up. Mechanical drives as soon as bad sectors start to develop. One drive I retired had close to 75,000 hours on it with no issues. I made that drive as our reserve for just incase.

jagerhans and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. ~Zen~

Yes, this is what I found to be true also!

Nothing is permanent...

Makes one laugh at the thought of spending a million bucks on something 'intangible' on a chip... exclusive yes, but timeless and lasting forever?

Totally Yoda likes this.
  12. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I know right? You would think they'll last forever. The amount of writing they do. You'll be surprised on how much writing it does when you are using your PC. It's a lot.

Candy Gal likes this.
  13. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

So glad it is all sorted.

14. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I do the same. Scheduled backups with rsync on a dedicated pc with an old style platter hd.

Totally Yoda and ~Zen~ like this.
  15. jagerhans

I have a compatible Olivetti pc from 1987 with a 20 Mb hard drive. As of today it has a grand total of 1 bad sector. Still runs windows 2.0

16. jagerhans

After one and a half year battling with weird problems I finally whipped out the bread for a new, large, top of the line SSD. It solved all the freezes, reboots, and a lot of weird things occurring to my master machine. If you still have troubles, go for the best of the best because these new drives seem to have a limited tolerance for mediocrity and cutting corners. And buy large ones cause their life strategy is coping with dead cells by using reserve space, so get it huge no less than 500 G and from the top tier of producers.
    It is still unclear to me what exactly occurred. You made a reboot from the login screen and that was he end of troubles ? I'd think troubles are just waiting to come back with a revenge.
    S.M.A.R.T. is your friend

17. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I have an extra SSD laying around. My PC is dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 11. I'm debating if I want to mirror the Windows 11 installation to the SSD. Windows 10 is on an SSD and Windows 11 is on a mechanical drive.

18. jagerhans

SSDs are way faster. I keep the system on ssd and the bulk of data on a large platter drive. You can afford losing program data but not your personal files so I'd advise for putting systems on the ssd and data on the mechanical drive. this way you have a blazing fast system and the disk holding your precious info gets little use anyway not being under pressure for normal system operation, eventually swap file/partition r/w, (not that it gets much use today now that everyone has at last 16 Gb of ram anyway) but for goodness' sake do regularly backup the sensible info on another drive, better if it is an entirely different PC dong just that. This way you will get the best of the two worlds also because SSD space is costlier than HD space.
    SSD will croak. It is a given. It is predictable. HDD will too but in my experience they give out more signs of failure before kicking the bucket. More than once HDDs went bad on me but the SMART daemon noticed me of impending failure so I had the chance to back up data before they surrendered their beautiful spinning soul back to the Big sector in the sky. Disks don't drain a lot of power so three drives shouldn't be an issue for the power supply. Hope this helps.

Totally Yoda likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My blooming problem is that GBoard every so often types a doubled-up letter or entire phrase when I'm using voice-to-text.

This is especially nonsensical when you're translating into Russian or any of the other languages that do not use the latin alphabet - it's a bitch to try and find out what was transcribed correctly, or if everything is now scrambled... So, you basically have to start over from the beginning - well, beginning of the sentence anyway.

More of a nuisance that... not really a problem. I think I reported the bug, but nothing yet fixed.

:confused:

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

Wow that is a trip.

What an amazing world we have now.

I once worked on some grow books, and had to do the layouts for the translations in addition to the English versions. What a bitch it was trying to line up the text with the right images in the proper places, and with the correct captions. Let alone the translation errors along the way. Russian was the worst... so many changes upon changes over a few months - for one book.

[​IMG]

Sorry to go off topic.

soulcompromise likes this.