Booktapes?!

Discussion in 'Books' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 24, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

Whats your opinion on booktapes? When do you use them? or when WOULD you use them if you dont? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of them, because I need to plow through 3 Bronte novels in a week but I dont have alot of free time. Anyways yeah, whats your opinion?

2. metro

metro self-banned

I've tried audiobooks before, at one job I had I was able to concentrate enough on it, but the job I have now, I couldn't. I didn't mind it, I've also listened to them on trips home ~2.5 hrs. That worked good too. If you can concentrate well, it's OK, but if you're the type of person who's mind drifts off then maybe not.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

damn. my mind drifts way too much

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I personally look down upon the audio book. Although, I hear they are very good as a wake-up, if you have an alarm that will play a cd in place of a buzzard or radio. Books are easy, just sit down one day and read them all at once. Drink alot of the coffee.

5. m6m

m6m Member

I do a lot of books on tape.

A good narrator can breath life into a book.

Take the book 'A Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. As imaginative a writer as Huxley is, his style is anything but smooth and can put me to sleep. Yet I heard a theatrical radio performance that woke the story up and made it exciting.

Even a writer that knows how to put words together beautifully like Janet Fitch, when I heard her book 'White Oleander' spoken from the mouth of great narrator, I couldn't stop listening.

I heard the poems and biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay on that great Canadian Broadcasting Company's radio show 'Ideas'. Sister, when that narrator spoke Millay's poems, I could feel her soft succulent lips touching mine.
    Somethings you just can't get from a dry page of print.

6. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

books on tape are great when you're driving. When I am at home though, my mind wanders off to much and rewinding all the time is such a hassle...it's even worse on CD because u have to start each chapter over!! Nightmare!

7. dhs

dhs Senior Member

There is actually an inhouse expert on this matter - mariecstacy will let you know all that you need to know.