Book That Made You Laugh

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by sky_pink, May 8, 2004.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

The Book of Numbers. You have to laugh at it or you'll cry of boredom.

Running Horse likes this.
  2. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

scott adams 'dilbert' books

I'm a simple man.

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series...the first three anyway. Life, The Universe and Everything was my favorite. I liked Marvin's outlook on life.

Born25YearsTooLate likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

"Bored of the Rings" is a parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. This short novel was written by Henry N. Beard and Douglas C. Kenney, who later founded National Lampoon. It was published in 1969 by Signet for the Harvard Lampoon.

[​IMG]

5. Huckleberry Finn is hilarious.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This post is almost 10 years old but thats not going to stop me from replying to it because Augusten Burroughs is the fucking best.i didnt like sellevision, his memoirs are far better than his attempt at fiction, but yeah....Running with Scissors, Dry, Magical Thinking...all laugh out loud (in a slightly horrified way) sort of stuff.

Augusten is bae and 10 years ago we were myspace friends and he wished me happy birthday. I'll never forget it - he said, "my gift to you is that you dont have to be as old as me."

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I own Running With Scissors. The funniest thing about it for me was that, while I was in high school, I had a friend whose family was eerily similar to the family in the book. You should have seen their house. Strange stuff.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Neil Gaiman has some dark humour in his books, the one running through the sewer pipes in London, can't remember the name but that was good and then he co-writer a book called... Good Omens? That has a lot of black humour in it too.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yikes! Its almost unbelievable to me that one family like that exists, and now you're telling me there are two? Lol

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've only read one Neil Gaiman book and it wasnt funny, but it was very poignant.

But is the sewer pipes book Neverwhere? I own that one and was thinking of reading it next

11. I don't remember. Maybe something by Kishon.

Mein Kamm?
    My Family Right Or Wrong?

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes that's the one I believe, hmm maybe it wasn't funny? I liked it though, so it must have had its parts.

Yeah he's a weird writer I haven't read anything from him for about 8 years or so, I know he went into like a batman comic phase and that doesn't interest me so I stopped reading.

For me he creates this very dark atmosphere, not evil dark, but like.. Gloomy. Most things I read, Especially American Gods the ambience to me is this very overcast gloomy type of setting where sunlight rarely shines. I imagine it to be a movie with little to no talking, although there's a lot of talking in that book.

I also like how he writes, I find it very similar to me with all the full stops and commas and how he breaks up a sentence to how he's perceiving somebody actually saying it, rather than writing it.

I haven't seen the TV series American Gods because I enjoyed the book so much, I know the show will ruin it it lol.

13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

'Dilbert' describes my time at Hewlett-Packard perfectly.

[​IMG]

14. Born25YearsTooLate

lol.. I've been in several corporate environments, and they all apply so aptly. it's a kind of eerie 'tell me this is actually a play and you're just fucking with me' kind of reaction...

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I was on a team tasked with writing the procedures for manufacturing a new line of disk drives once. One of the requirements was that an operator had to be certified in order to work at his station unattended. So since we were the first on this new product, and immediately after adopting this requirement, we sat around for 45 minutes certifying one another. It was like speed dating or something. I felt ridiculous.

16. Born25YearsTooLate

bwahahah... 'new product, all people to use it must have 3 years experience dealing with similar' 'um.. totally new. nobody's ever used anything like it before?' 45 minutes of debate, until the closest thing to it was revealed to be a sewing machine.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Hahaha, we kind of painted ourselves into a corner by requiring that certifiers be certified themselves...and of course no one was certified yet, plus lunch was approaching and we all wanted to go out for Mexican so someone came up with that shit. I left before the official ISO audit so I'm not sure what ever happened with all that.

18. Born25YearsTooLate

lol.. ours was a combination die-punch press and automatic stitching/grommeting machine for leather pieces.. pretty slick, but nobody except me in the shop'd even used a sewing machine before. couple guys had used a die-punch and a couple others had used a grommet setter. so we all had to get together and crosstrain on the other crap. twas ridiculous.. because that new machine that would save us so much time wound up costing us a month of downtime while everyone got certified enough to use it. and then.. the machine started continually breaking down (mechanical issues) and because management had sold the previous machines to afford the new one... we were sunk. so the shop closed... thanks management!

19. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Neil Gaiman wrote some Batman. That's what matters.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm sure it was funny, i've actually read the first 3 pages like...several times lol, I've started that book so many times, I dunno why I havent actually read it yet. But it had a completely different tone than the one I did read - Ocean at the End of the Lane, which was almost like a modern day fairy tale more so than a novel.