BoohBah...PBS kid's show

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Earthy Mama, May 11, 2004.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Has anyone seen this wacky show? I'm posting about it hear and not in the T.V. forum because I wanted other mother's opinions on this show. It comes on PBS and is supposibly educational. Does anyone know why it is educational? It kind of looks like someone on drugs thought it up. I think its really odd but my boys LOVE that show. I'm just wondering though if anyone knows what is the whole point of the show is and if their kids like it too.

Eryn

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

To me, it seems like a rip off of Teletubbies. i don't care for them, either. The only shows I let my daughters watch is Berenstein Bears, Between the Lions, and Sesame Street. Berenstein Bears reinforces family values, Between the Lions helps my 5 yr old get familiar with letter sounds, and Sesame Street is a classic!

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

That's one of the weirdest shows I've ever seen in my life! They look weird and the sound effects are weird.....it's just weird. But whenever I'm flipping channels, I have to stop for a secong to watch it. I think that means my boy shouldn't watch it, because it's hypnotic and ADD inducing... :)

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I don't think there really is a point to that show. I love the Berenstein Bears! I used to watch them all the time. Sesame Street is awesome. We watch that Zoo-something show with the two guys and the little monkey....I think it has a "G" in it somewhere....I don't know. Zoombafoo? Huh?

I like the Barefoot Farmer, too....but that's not a kid's show, really. Unless they need to learn how to pickle beets....

5. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Zaboomafoo!! The Kraft brothers!! She loves that show too!! It's pretty cool. I really hate to let her watch too much tv, but at least, she learns from the shows she watches.

6. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I'm trying to let Croix and Noah get a little T.V. time everyday since they don't really have much interaction with other childern their age and I want them to learn! lol They love sesame street, teletubbies, clifford, Jay Jay Jet plane, bear in the big blue house and stanley(which I hate!). I usually switch around what things they watch everyday so, it doesn't get boring. They end up seeing everything they like over the week and not daily, spending all day vegged at the T.V. They really love watching bob the builder tapes too.

7. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

It's like an acid trip.

It's probably educational because of the content of colors and song and dance and pics of children plaing games etc.

My son isn't really into the boobahs but he has liked the tubbies for a while now.

8. SativaStarr

SativaStarr Member

I just find the show to be disdturbing.. I don't let Cass watch it, and I am quite certain it is actually made by the same people or company or whatever as Teletubbies.. But in my honest opinion I think the teletubbies are a whole lot more tolerable (and that is disturbing too).

9. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I haven't had the pleasure of viewing this program as yet. We let Dakota watch Dora the Explorer on occasion. Mostly because she speaks Spanish and we would like him to speak Spanish. Other than that his tv viewing is limited to the first five minutes of Ellen if we are home, (he loves to dance with Ellen) and the last five minutes of Wheel of Fortune. He waves goodnight to Vanna and then it is time to go to bed. TV viewing is not recommended for children under the age of two. It can lead to ADD and learning disabilities.

Kathi

10. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

I have seen it once or twice and found it to be the worst sort of crap,but I had to check it out because of the name. "Boobah" has long been one of our family words for nursing,and to me the squashy little boobah characters do sorta look like boobs. But we'll stick with Sesame Street for our educational tv fix.

11. KiraBear

KiraBear Member

TV raised me and it may be a proven fact that tv causes ADD .Not in me though or my 7 year old neice.I think it all depends on what you let them watch. My neice is going from year one to year 3 because the work is too easy for her .. she is reading at a year 6 level and her maths are incredible . I also graduated with honours and my mum and dad never paid attention to us.. Plaza sesemo and Senor Rogers raised us .. not to mention the electric company.. but I do agree that too much tv can rot your brain if it is all that mindless yu gi oh or pokemon crap.

12. Terelda

Terelda Member

Ahhh...the Boobahs...they are strange!

Being that my dd is only 1 it's one of the few shows that ever grabs her attention when the TV is on. It's definitely one of those "for really little kids" shows...it's colorful and slow moving with lots of music. They show basic concepts like peekaboo and shapes and colors....

I believe TV at any age can be a useful learning tool...in moderation!

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i havnet seen that. now i am interested though
    as far as shows that i allow my daughter to watch.......we watch Bear in the Big Blue House(its on while we get ready for school and work) and that is about it. otherwise there really is no tv. she goes to the Montessori School, where there is no TV. then the evening its go go go. but as we settle down to try to sleep, its normally a Care Bear movie that is popped in

14. amber

amber Member

I also think think this show is teletubbyish... I can't stand either one of em... They don't hold Elijah's interest too well either which I'm thankful for. I did see a lil kid do an awesome dance on boobah once, but most of their dances(/everything else) are really boring. My lil boy Elijah is 2 and I let him watch some tv... he likes The Wiggles, Dora the explorer, bob the builder, and blues clues. I think in moderation t.v. is just fine. I was kind of a t.v. junkie and i don't think i turned out so bad.... But there is sucha thing as too much... esp. when you're kid would rather plop in front of the t.v. than go outside on a beautiful day... that's just sad

15. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

We LOVE Bear in the Big Blue House,even though it's on very early. I think Xander has a crush on Dora the explorer,she's his new favorite.