Boca Burgers..

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by shutterfly, May 9, 2004.

1. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

I remember when Boca Burgers first came out they were made with genetically modified foods... are they still or have they changed their ways? They make a vegan burger now that tastes really good but I don't want to eat it if it is gen modified. Anyone know?

2. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Very good points Astrocat... guess I'll stear clear of 'em.

3. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

If youre a big burger eater, you can always make burgers out of mashed beans. Just mash up some beans, add your favorite spices, mix with some flour (your choice on this one), make like a burger and grill. They are kinda crumbly, but delicious!

Peace,
    Jessica

4. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I often wonder whether or not other vegetarians feel the same way about things like burgers and hot dogs. I tried the tofu variations and thought I was eating hot plastic. I do like grilled vegetables that have oil drizzled on them... but veggie burgers simply are not hamburgers. And since I don't do hamburgers it's no great loss.

5. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

no..i got a box of bocam burgers that were vegan that said it was not a genitecially modified food...

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i dont know if they are GM or not, but both boca and morning star are not organic.
    quorn brand is organic... but not vegan.

7. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I know I've seen organic/non gm versions in the store. A lot of those companies have been switching over to have more organic products. Strangely enough, we have Wal-Mart to thank for the change, because they are most of those companies' biggest purchaser, and they've been pushing everyone for more organics. :) But I tend to steer clear of the burger/hot dog thing. It's weird to me how much it's imitating meat (Boca's even imitate grissle). I like veggies just fine, thank you!

8. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I've seen some non GMO burgers - don't remember brands because I became addicted to grilled portabella caps & haven't looked back but they're out there.

And in my area it's the Super Target that's really taken off with organic food... yay me, I can afford them!
    love,
    mom

9. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

i used to eat boca's when i was a beginner, they were like my "training wheels" i guess you could say. but now i only eat them when i absolutely have to, like at red robin when its the only veggie thing they have on the menu

10. sweetdreadlover

man me and my husband havent been out to eat in ages because all of his fave resturaunts are jerks about serving things minus the dairy and animal biproducts. i hate the fact that applebees seems to hate removing bacon and cheese from their salads...their buns have whey and stuff in them..i hate resturaunts...and i hate the fact they dont have options, yahno?

11. ginseng23

ginseng23 Member

Damn you guys are picky, it has to be organic, not genetically modified and non meat.

Isn't just non meat an ok way to go?

12. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

yea! i understand. i have eaten out A LOT less since being veg- which is good because cooking your own meal is way healthier, so in a roundabout way thats another reason why veg diet is good for you

13. sweetdreadlover

its not picky...its a belief system, and i myself am sticking to it for personal reasons :)

14. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i was wrong. quorn brand is not organic, its 65% natural.

15. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

Boca makes an organic product. I don't know if the regular product is GMO or not. I only purchase the organic product for use at home. At home, everything I purchase is Vegan, organic if possible, and locally grown/produced whenever possible.

Re. eating at restaurants, I think being TOO picky is bad for the movement. I ask if my food had dead animal, egg or cheese in it when I go out, not if there is a little whey or if the product contains GMO or whatever. I think it is more important to demonstrate to people that living a veg lifestyle is do-able without being a huge sacrifice than it is to be 100% "pure" all the time.