Boarding School...

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by sunskysea, May 24, 2004.

1. sunskysea

sunskysea Member

I may be going to a boarding school for 2 years and coming home in the holidays. Has anyone ever been to boarding school or know what its like? I'm not sure what to expect or anything!!

2. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are many many boarding schools in Slovenia, but most are of the kind where pupils just stay there during weekdays. They usually are quite good, but not all like them. I mean, if one can't study with other people around him/her then it really is not good to go there, for there (at least here) they revise and do homeworks and all together. But if one loves being with friends all the time, then it's good. It's good if you're not alone there, though. At least at first, coz that's when it's quite hard to be alone, and if you don't click with people(aka people think you're strange) at first it's way harder to get on good with them later. It's weird, but it's really depending, at least from what i've heard. You can have a very very good time or You can live in living hell. It's really depending, on the other pupils mainly. I'm not going to one next year because I think changing schools will be enough of a difference for me, and well i don't know how much I'd work in a boarding school. I mean, as from what my older friends have told me, they party a lot there so You can imagine that they don't work much...it's not always like that, though. Good luck with Your boarding school! I believe it will be no problem for You to make friends, but be careful not to go to a closeminded school!
    ADDED: And I've been to few boarding schools myself, just took a look what they're like and I decided that it's way nicer at home, at least now, I'll have to go to the city soon one day, though.[\]
    ove,
    Borut

3. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

When I think of boarding school, the first thing that comes to my mind is Hogwarts (in Harry Potter books ;) ). How wonderful would that be... :D Ahh well, I'm sure the reality is quite different.

4. kier

kier I R Baboon

cut the negativity

on a positive note, a friend of mine went to boarding school, though he came home on weekends. he really enjoyed it, and had alot of fun, and was really sad he didn't get back in when it came to A levels. they aren't what i thought....although alot of people who go are posh, you still get a taste for real life

his brother nearly got chucked out for weed, and is now (as far as i know) a small time dealer at college....saying that, it's not a heavy scene

just try and go in with a positive attitude, and don't be too scared :)

5. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I went to boarding school for 8 years here in the UK.

Firstly I'd say all boarding schools are different so it depends a lot where you go as to how you'll find it.
    In my experience there are good and bad things. I hated most of the early years because I was being bullied, and when you live with the bulllies there is no escape. I also found that as I became more independent and free spirited my peers were intolerant, again exacerbated by our living together. Our school was very small, and very cliquey - there were very very few people of an alternative bent to surround yourself with!

In terms of education though, being confined to school 24/7 is the best thing that can happen to you. Our day went from 9 - 4, then we'd have an hour to do what we wanted, like go into town (we normally went to the pub) then half an hour to have a meal, then a period of supervised study in which to do prep. The amount of time this was depended on your grade. In the sixth form you could do prep in your dorms, rather than the study hall, and that was wicked because you could just go to sleep or have a natter (no-one there to supervise). Other than that you had free time, although there was a specific lights out time depending on how old you were, which no-one ever took any notice of, and there were rules about where you could go and who with.

At weekends, we could go home any or all weekends if we chose. This is odd though, most schools have set exeat weekends - this means that you have to leave the premises for these weekends. Some schools are flexible about taking weekends out besides exeats, but not all.

Like I say though each place is different. However, for the most part you will have a comfy bed, modern facilities (in my brother's school they have en suite sodding bathrooms!!), plenty of food and more likely a stupid, rather than evil Housemaster/mistress.

If you want to know more PM me.

6. kier

kier I R Baboon

you talk about cool? oh i am not in a cool mood, i am in a fucking livid mood, and you are not bloody improving things, watch yourself

7. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

Cut the negativity.

:)

Sorry, I just had to say that.:D

8. kier

kier I R Baboon

don't ask...he made a mistake, which he wasn't to know, but it made me fucking livid, and even if i wasn't going through what i am, it still would of pissed me off

9. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

*patpat* There, there! 'tis fine my friend! *gives you a cookie* :D

10. kier

kier I R Baboon

<munch munch munch>

awww, cheers dude :)

11. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

i've never been to a boarding school but i went to something very similiar, Teen Challenge. a rehabilitation for kids with drug problems, sex problems, self-image problems, anger problems, bad families, criminal records, religion problems (it was christian)....all this gnarly shit. it was located in north dakota. i got sent there as i commited directed assault, a felony and had to serve either 6 months in juvi or a year of rehab/probation. i chose the rehab as i wanted to travel to another state.

so i end up in Teen Challenge, its located about 40 minutes from canada, in the coldest town in america, williston. there was about 12 girls in this small house with 3 bedrooms, a living room, one bathroom, a kitchen, and part of the living room turned into a couple crappy bedrooms. it was pretty horrible to be treated like crap, go to school 10 hours a day, put up with so many bitchy girls every day, not see your parents....blah blah blah. to me it was a lost and pathetic experience. i had to stay there for 5 months.

in the end it was corrupted, the boys were sent home. the people who also lived in this small house went insane and sent us to a mansion cuz they couldn't live out the plans of other buildings to put us in. the mansion was nice.... but the pastor was overpowering and scary. it was insane. ended up going home with horrible memories.

i was the one who spoke out against their abuse and brainwashing. many of the girls loved my crazy humor and wise words. i was one who had a great testimony to share with them to see if they could grow out of it....but in the end i had to leave behind all that. crappy memories and complete confusion.

i never liked boarding school, it was too artificial.

12. kier

kier I R Baboon

im sorry, you personaly attacked me