Blues Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rythym and Blues' started by CannbisSouL, Mar 18, 2009.

1. zillagod

zillagod Member

For some blues, you might want to check out my youtube page. I am at https://www.youtube.com/mybourbon. There you will find some Coco Montoya, Michael Hill's Blues Mob, and others mixed with some classic rock as well. I am in the process of adding more stuff, with Guitar Shorty coming up next.

2. davinci

davinci Member

Since nobody mentions him in either this or the "best blues guitarist" thread, I've got to put in a shout out for Mel Brown.

He played with all the greats. BB King himself acknowledges that Brown is a better guitar player. Now that is high praise.

Unfortunately, Mel passed away on March 20. RIP Mel Brown.

3. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

I just saw Johnny Winter today.
    Fucking awesome :D

He didn't play too long though, only about an hour and a half. It would have been an even better show if he played for a good 2 hours. I guess he's just too old though. Also got to hear some great slide guitar at the end.

The opener (Ricky Paquette) could have played a bit more variations in his tunes though, there's something about opening bands that makes them just a little bit worse than the main act.
    Definitely worth the money though, I recommend that you go see him if he comes t your town :D

4. offset

offset Senior Member

Anything early by Clapton of course :)

[​IMG]

5. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Oh man, we can't forget about Willy Dixon!

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/willie-dixon

Willie Dixon has been called “the poet laureate of the blues” and “the father of modern Chicago blues.” He was indisputably the pre-eminent blues songwriter of his era, credited with writing more than 500 songs by the end of his life. Moreover, Dixon is a towering figure in the history and creation of Chicago blues on other fronts. While on staff at Chess Records, Dixon produced, arranged, and played bass on sessions for Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson, and others. In no small way, he served as a crucial link between the blues and rock and roll.

Essential Songs

(I’m Your) Hoochie Coochie Man, by Muddy Waters
    Spoonful, by Howlin’ Wolf
    Wang Dang Doodle, by Koko Taylor
    Back Door Man, by Howlin’ Wolf
    I Just Want to Make Love to You, by Muddy Waters
    My Babe, by Little Walter
    You Can’t Judge a Book by Its Cover, by Bo Diddley
    Little Red Rooster, by Howlin’ Wolf
    Pain in My Heart, by Willie Dixon
    Signifying Monkey, by the Big Three Trio

6. markus11b

markus11b Guest

Hey Zillagod, Who are the 2 guitarists in the photo from the Sand Dollar Lounge?

Jimmy Thackery is one of my favorites.

Thanks, Mark

7. zillagod

zillagod Member

Sorry I didnt see this question earlier, and I thought it was obvious who they were. On the left is Ted Nugent and on the right is Joe Bonamassa. Yes, that was a real treat seeing them play together. It was just one of those nights when the two were in town, and the Sand Dollar is the premier blues lounge here in town(its actually a real dive, but then again, sometimes dives are the best, LOL). And these two guys just happen to come in to the club that night when they had nothing else better to do, and what a great 30 minutes or so they put on.

Here is what Ted Nugent had to say afterwards-----

Ted Nugent on Playing at the Sand Dollar

Ted Nugent played an impromptu blues jam at the club on Feb. 25. Here's what he had to say about it, "Last night, my musical jihad grew even more hair on its scrotum, because I got to jam onstage, no band, just a couple of Les Pauls and a kid named Joe Bonamassa, a white kid from New York. It was just us onstage, and this little white prick, and this older white prick, continued to pretend we weren't, in fact, white at all. This kid deserves to be in the same class with Stevie Ray Fucking Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. It was really inspiring. So this kid and I had maybe 40 minutes of exchanges of notes that don't exist, guitar sounds that are brand new, and soul and emotion that can only go back into the glow of the B.B./Albert/Freddy King world."

8. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Member

You MUST check out the album Electric Mud by Muddy Waters.
    That's not a suggestion, that's an ORDER!

9. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer Member

Howlin' Wolf is really awesome! Then Gary Moore is ...... Brilliant!
    =]

10. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Member

If you have never heard of the Irish Blues Rock trio "Taste", check them out. The lead Guitarist went on to have a very successful solo career... Rory gallagher

1 person likes this.
  11. moondrizzle

moondrizzle Member

The Rolling Stones!!!

12. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

13. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

14. moondrizzle

moondrizzle Member

Seasick Steve!!!

15. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

pink anderson
    kokomo arnold
    little walter
    sonny boy williamson II
    floyd council
    johnny shines
    sonny terry & brownie mcghee
    mississippi fred mcdowell

16. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

I am now curious about the blues. So figured I would revive this thread. I am surprised nobody mentioned Dire Straits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhM4tyL5d6I"]DIRE STRAITS private investigations. live at wembley, 1985 - YouTube Like wow! I am wondering if anyone could recommend some music similar to this and early Eric Clapton, such as Bell Bottom Blues? Preferably deep songs with meaning. And even other Dire Straits songs. Thank you!

17. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Eric Clapton? Dire Straits? I don't know what you mean by deep songs with meaning...

At its best, the blues seeks to express raw human emotion in the simplest terms, emotions like love, lust, anger, sorrow, hopelessness...blues is not deep music, you don't need an education to appreciate. All you really need to really appreciate the blues is to have lived some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxux5LdmjQU&feature=fvwrel"]Peter Green - World Keep On Turning - YouTube

18. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

I just said that any music similar to that of Dire Straits or Eric Clapton that is also deep would make for a good recommendation. As the song i posted above clearly doesn't have deep lyrics. But is one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard. I was only inquiring.
    And thank you for the posting!

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

20. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUpXO_9gyrc"]Alabama Shakes - Be Mine - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8hlz75sc8&feature=related"]Alabama Shakes - Hold On - David Letterman 4-12-12 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKwdyb4jaw&feature=related"]Alabama Shakes | Heat Lightning | The Independent | San Francisco - YouTube