Bloodbath at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

sure.

see ya later.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Have fun in your radically liberal world Shane ;)

3. PlaceboAddikt

PlaceboAddikt Paranoia!

I live just up the street from where this happened. It's really, really, really shocking and very surreal....

4. thehippie_08

thehippie_08 that girl

so terrible..that is really terrible.
    what the hell is this world coming to?
    i'm sorry for all of those people..and the people who were subjected to that violence. such a terrible thing...all of those young people's lives are gone.
    =[ wow...just wow.
    anyone want a hug? i'm up for hugs..
    *hugs*

BTW, Brave Sir Ruben is totally right, you know? it will. there's no way around it.
    and yet i still feel sorry for them...it's a mixed feelings sort of feeling..

5. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

you know its nothing against you personally guy. :)

I'm just sick of people complaining but not doing anything.

they complain about "the media" but they dont pursure or support alternatives.
    they complain about healthcare but they dont even exercise and eat right.
    they complain about the "elite" controlling their lives when they make no effort(as far as i know) to impose their own control over their lives.
    they complain about the environment but where are the recycling bins and electric cars?

supply and demand, you get what you ask for, you get what you pay for.

if everyone put as much energy into effecting change within their own lives that they do bitching about the state of this or that...

maybe that's why i havent been posting as much.

tired of complaining.

if you think too much hype is given to the Virginia Tech incident by the media and others then why post in a thread about it?

just do what you want from others.

imstead you do the same thing they do, only toward your own ends(making a political/social point out of it).

another talking head.

what are doing or how are you behaving that is different from them?

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

regardless of agreeing and disagreeing with posts on here.....I feel for the families but at the same time its my responsibility to myself to not let the tragedy in life keep me from living mine and experiencing life instead of sitting at the tv and feeling sorry for myself for the fact I live in a fucked up world.

What is all this arguing helping?
    People died....ouch....I feel for all involved but am not consumed by it. It would be wonderful if people were sending their good vibes instead of fighting but I suppose we as people are far from that....too busy trying to be right.

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Shane, I'm not complaining too much, I'm making a point.

Why do I post about it in a forum? Because it creates intelligent discussion, not complete rejection of a discussion like the one you provide.

I have nothing against ya, nothing at all... but you are pretty much telling me to "shut up and act"... and honestly... no.

8. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

for real.

they're in my prayers.

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I think that any topic is better off as a good discussion than just a show of sympathy.

10. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

All right, lets discuss.

You complained about the undeserved hype given to this particular incident, by the media(and by this i suppose you mean mainstream corporate media) over other less "attractive" stories of violence and death.

What alternatives are you providing?

what other stories do you believe DO deserve more coverage and what are you doing to support that position (other than telling me about your position)?

11. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

?

do i know you and what are talking about?

and no, i dont recall ever killing anyone.

can you clarify your first question further?

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

My main problem is not with the media, the media cannot be made to give equal air-time to different stories, they are money-hungry wankers, as simple as that... and they will go with the most profitable story.

My main problem is with the way people let the media control their lives. How can we fix that? Education, awareness, a stronger push by independent media to share coverage between different stories, and even like Sarah said... to provide more positive stories than negative ones.

What am I doing to support this position? Discussing it currently, with people...yessir people... not animals, not imaginary friends...but... people!

13. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

whoa, stop there, before we go into "how to fix it", please explain how media controls people's lives?

seems to me that if the news that was presented was not to the liking of the viewers then ratings would drop and they would pursue other news(positive as opposed to negative) much like canceled sitcoms and dramas.

Seems to me(and i could be wrong) that if you want more positive news and less negative news then you have to get more people interested in those stories than the others, am i wrong?

And if that is true and people(for some reason) would rather hear bad news than good, how is it the media's fault for providing them what they want?

and don't think i didnt notice that though you said your beef wasnt with the media you still passive-aggressively blamed them by stating that "people let them control their lives", implying that A) the media has any control over anyone's life and B) that you dont have control over your life.

14. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

Ok, after rereading this...I will say that I agree but so far when reading this thread I didn't see much in way of discussions but a bunch of anger being spatted off....

For me... to answer your thing about media control. I just don't have tv. I can get it online but I don't choose that either. I try to just live my life the best I can and when I hear stuff, my heart goes out to the people but I am a bit numb to it all to tell ya the truth because for years I have looked at NEWS and seen only suffering and sadness that turns the belly. SO well...I just choose to not watch it. It can't influence me that way, eh?

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It is a tragedy any time young people are denied the rest of their lives by some prick who flips out.How many relatives and friends could those dead have?It will affect possibly hundreds.The media will flog it hard for a while and then we'll all forget it.I ,for one ,am thankfull the human brain has the capacity to allow us to move on and continue with life ,instead of making us collapse in a heap with sorrow.To stay alive is what most of us want--we couldn't manage if sorrow piled up.It's going to happen again-and again-and again.Seems to be in the cards for us humans.One can only hope that we,personally are not in the wrong place at the wrong time.We all know this---life is not fair.

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I did imply A... re-read this entire thread, I have posted my thoughts on this already.

17. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

True, but most of the people on this forum are the people who are not influenced by the media... which is why so many people here are acting so defensive because they think that I'm targeting them with my comments.

18. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

agreed in full. theres nothing wrong with mourning this tragedy. and if someone cant connect with the soldiers and the situation in iraq then they arent some cold heartless brute nor a nationalistic freak, theyre just a person who feels more strongly for those nearer to them, thats all

19. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

It'd be nice.. if just for once... we the american people, could give such a terrible tragedy the moment of silence it deserves, bow our heads, and move on in peace.

20. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Yeah, this would be nice. Such events are so often over-sensationalized that they end up trivialized.