Bloodbath at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 16, 2007.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Shane, if you would have read this thread in its entirety, then you would have seen that my argument is based on how many Americans are controlled by the media... which tells them what to do, how to behave, how to react, and what to believe.

Any murder is terrible Shane... how do you expect me to feel?

2. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Because human life is perceived as more valuable in the US than elsewhere on planet earth.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

By whom exactly?

4. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

see above post, again who cares whats in headlines.

and its the surprise of the thing that makes it news worthy not just the death toll, you expect people to die in a war zone, you dont expect people to die in a college classroom.

a man murdering kids in a daycare is going to recieve more coverage and interest within his own country than a soldier killing civilians in a war torn country on the other side of the planet.

the tragedy is probably the same. the shock is not.

human nature.

test: you see 2 guys punching each other in a parking lot. creates a certain feeling inside you?

you see 1 guy punching a 9 year old in a parking lot. not the same feeling is it?

duh.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

6. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What you say about the media is obviously true. But it's funny you seem to criticise people who express views that are contrary to what's reported on this same media which is a tool of control.

8. Zoomie

Well we only do that if they wear tinfoil hats...

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yes sure, shock value... I agree... and yes, I would expect it to reach the news... but this will be blown out of porportion, like I said before...

Plus, as I said... the shock suprises me... things like this happen, and most Americans seem so completely stunned by it.

10. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

i know what your argument is, youve turned a thread about a tragic situation and a loss of life into ammo for a political point.

americans mourn loss of life as they wage war, how amusing and hypocritical. lol lol lol

gimme a break.

no better than the idiot on the radio that says it's because we need god in school, or the idiot on tv that says it shows that video games are too violent.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Do I criticize such people? Nahh.

Matt, for all I know... you might be right in every conspiracy theory you believe in... that's irrelevant... what bothers me is that you dedicate so much of yourself to things that are completely out of your control and that the whole "police state" and so on notion bothers you so much that it actually becomes an obsticle in your enjoynment of life.

Stupid entertainment, sports, and all the rest of society's distractions from the "truth" can be so much fun.

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

What do you expect me to say?

"I feel sorry for the families, I will pray to sweet Jesus for them and keep them in my thoughts for eternity!" ?

No... this is an interesting point, and an interesting conversation. Random Thoughts needs more threads like this... this is an actual discussion of human values, where ideas are enterchanged intelligently... not just a pointless "Oh my god, this is so terrible, I feel so sorry for them" thread.

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

But is fun worth the loss of your freedoms and liberties, Pavel? The idea we are powerless and should do nothing other than embrace the mindless entertainment they feed to us -- from the very same media outlets you are criticising, and rightfully so -- is the reason why things are the way they are.

There is a reason Americans are being bombarded with American Idol and football, and all this other shit. It keeps people distracted and complacent and not asking the questions that need to be asked.

Trust me, I enjoy my life. Living an illusion is not living to me. Seeking the truth is living. And I am not saying I am right about everything, but if you think we're given even a fraction of truth by the mainstream media, you are sorely mistaken.

14. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

i think that if people feel the need to grieve for others in these murders, then more power to them. If they happen to not care, well, live and let live. no one should HAVE to grieve for anyone. obviously there are many people who will be affected by this.. yet i don't think people should put all their focus on tragic events. just think about how many stories on the news are about negative,depressing, or sad events in comparison to stories about good deeds, people overcoming hardships, etc.
    its totally unbalanced. hate and sadness perpetuate hate and sadness, which leads to fear and confusion, which leads to desperation, which leads to compliance...

15. Zoomie

I just realized that with this we may possibly have passed Australia's Port Arthur Massacre of 28 April, 1996!

USA! WE'RE #1! USA! WE'RE #1!

16. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

too bad, cause honestly i think we could use less of the former and more of the latter.

if i wanted to know what the talking heads thought i'd turn "the media" back on.

but enough of that

please tell me, before families are notified and bodies are buried, what do you suppose the sociological ramifications of such a high profile incident will be amongst the younger generation of the U.S.? Cause that's where the focus should be right?

or maybe we should dissect the media's response to white kids getting killed and they're lack of response about brown kids getting killed?

rich vs poor maybe?

or maybe we can get into america's pathological embracement of violence and how it affects our communal psyche?

maybe we should make a documentary titled "Bowling for Virginia Tech"?

honestly i dont know, i was only feeling sad because thats what media told me to feel....

17. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Matt... there is honestly nothing we can do to gain these liberties back... we both know this... there is no changing this system from within. There is too much control over it at the top levels, it is dominated by two parties who are practically the same thing, it is not a fair or balanced system... the only way to change it would be a complete overthrow, but that also won't happen... so why not embrace the positive in it?

Truth or not truth, it's irrelevant... what will happen will happen, for now... shit, don't live an illusion... but have fun with the pretty and fun things in that this illusion creates. If you really want to change something, then go into political activism, politics, work for an underground newspaper, anything... but you might as well accept some parts of a false system as long as you are willingly living in it.

The problem with this is that the only other alternative (a revolution, per say) is even worse than this government of lies... and even if a revolution happens, another corrupt government will emerge, and then another one, and another one, and so on. There has never been a honest government in the entire history of humanity, there has never been absolute truth in ruling... believe me, many people realise this... but in a country so well established as America, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing someone can do to change it.

If you really want to escape it, go live in a forest, open a self-sufficent farm or something... that is what I plan to do eventually when I grow a tad older...

EDIT:

Also, this modern American society that is "taking away our freedoms" has given people more freedom than they have had in a couple of thousand years.

Imagine Matt, even 30 years ago... you would have probably been imprisoned and called a "damn commie" just for writing what you just did.

18. Piney

Just in general.

The Darfur deaths seem to be beyond consideration of Westerners.

Bosnians endured killings for quite a while before action was taken.

Sometimes I think that if Iraq wasn't Bush's fault, then people would be a whole lot less interested in the death there. If they can lay the blame at the feet of the neocons they ramp up the coverage.

19. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

This incident, with all of its exposure is more likely to provoke homocidal youth to act out that anything. Some people are mentally unbalanced, some people are depressed, some people are murderous, and they all want to go out with a bang.

Also, like I said... the extreme media coverage of this particular incident may bring on rediculous laws upon college campuses just like 9/11 brought rediculous laws upon the US.

20. Piney

I read once that white kids murder in wholesale quanaties where brown kids
    do it retail.