Blind Guardian

Discussion in 'Music' started by Azura_Mist, May 16, 2004.

1. Azura_Mist

Azura_Mist Member

I posted about this band on the old Hip Forums in the Metal section. Blind Guardian is an absolutely indescribable melodic metal band from Germany who's closest describable words could sum up as amazing, incredible, diverse, unique, uplifting! In my opinion, their best album is Nightfall in Middle-Earth, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion. If you like bands such as Iron Maiden, Queen, and Metallica, and you read a lot of fantasy and scifi, the bards are definitely worth checking out. So how many Hip Forumers sing the bard's song?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hey, i saw them live once! :)
    Nightfall in Middle-earth is my favourite album too, in fact it is the only album of Blind Guardian that i like very much. They have a lot more good songs though.
    In the fantasy/power metal genre i prefer other bands, do you know for example Rhapsody, Domine or Kamelot?

3. Azura_Mist

Azura_Mist Member

I've heard of Kamelot but haven't heard them. I heard a little Rhapsody but they're a bit cheesy for my taste. Haven't heard Domine yet, but thanks for the recommendation. I was going to see Blind Guardian live, but their show got cancelled, so now I have to wait until they have their next tour. I'm into bands like Nightwish, Iced Earth, Nocturnal Rites, Jag Panzer, and too many more to name when it comes to power metal. Have you heard the demos of Blind Guardian when they used to be known as Lucifer's Heritage?

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, never heard of Lucifer's Heritage.
    And i agree Rhapsody sounds very cheesy, but i like their first 2 albums very much.
    I only like the first album of Nightwish and except for Iced earth i haven't really checked out the other bands you named...

I don't really have a favourite power/fantasy metal band (well, except Domine, because i like all their albums very much), but i really like some albums in this genre.
    For power metal: Athena - Twilight of days (be sure to check this out! very excellent), Angra - Holy land/Angel's cry, Blind Guardian - Nightfall, Drakkar - Gemini, Elvenking - Heathenreel (very typical, not really power metal imo), Freedom Call - Stairway to fairyland, Hammerfall - Glory of the brave, Kamelot - The 4th legacy, Vision Divine - Vision divine.

And of course 'pre-power metal' like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger and Iron Maiden. :)

5. Azura_Mist

Azura_Mist Member

Just thought I'd be mischievious and bump up the topic I started about my favorite band. Thanks for all those recommendations, Asmodean, I'll definitely check them out. I've been trying to stick to remembering how good regular life and reality is outside obsessiveness, otherwise I'd be turning in circles and pacing back and forth waiting for the new DVD to get circulated in the US with no flaws. Its release date was Monday the 14th and already the lucky people who pre-ordered or bought it right away in Europe are complaining that the second dvd has problems or the sites themselves have problems delivering the orders. I want the bards on the small screen now, dammit!

6. Children of Bodom

Children of Bodom Senior Member

hell yeah Blind Guardian fuckin rocks!! I just bought their 2 disc live sethammerfall im playing right now.

7. Guitar_god_

Guitar_god_ Member

I think the closest thing to fantasy metal that I listen to is Iced Earth, and I haven't really paid much attention to them in a while. I like them though.