Bleck! Garlic!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by PureInnocence, May 11, 2004.

1. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

I'm sick! I'm supposed to go out clubbing tomorrow and I woke up this morning with a sore throat and that groggy telatale feeling that your sick, which quickly progressed to a small fever. I'm like NOOOO... so now I'm chewing on garlic and sucking down hot tea with lemon and honey. Any other suggestions on how to beat the sickieness quick!? I hear onion is great but I just CAN"T eat that stuff raw or in large quantities... I also heard warm milk and honey is good, but apparently is the most disgusting thing to drink.

I'd love the advice if anyone has some! Don't know if I'll be able to check tonight but any quick fixes morning of would help help help! I'm also going to knock back a couple niquils tonight. The last time I was sick those things worked wonders.

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

go for some zinc lozengas with echinaesa...

always worked for me.

and i love garlic. :)

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

echinacea
    astragalus

avoid all sugars and refined flours

4. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

A fever is nature's way of saying "Stop what you're doing and go to bed." You need to rest. Your body is fighting something, fever is it's defense mechanism to destroy pathogens. Lay down, rest, let your body do it's job. And by all means, do not go clubbing, unless you don't care whether or not you get worse...

Garlic is great. Eat about 4 cloves a day. Folding a piece of bread with cheese on it and pressing the garlic into it, makes it a bit easier to take, I've found. Honey is also great, a natural antibiotic, like garlic.

I know you don't want to hear this... But, viruses have to run their course. With the exception of supporting your body's natural defenses, there really isn't much you can do, to "shorten" it. Get lots of rest, drink LOTS of fluids. Your body will not fight, if it is not rested and hydrated...

Echinacea is good, but best when you take it at the first sign of symptoms of illness. Goldenseal is good, it's a stripper, count on being near a bathroom. Take extra vitamin c, just because it's easily depleted. Zinc works for some people and not for others. It has no use to me, but it might work for you...

Yeah, I can't do raw onion, either. I can hardly do raw garlic, even though I love cooked garlic. :) I mainly use onion on wounds, externally, as opposed to internally... It works great... :)

I have never heard this... I've heard hot tea with honey. Usually, milk is contraindicated in illness, because of it's mucous forming properties. However, if you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't get mucous from milk, go for it. But, my guess is that it is just used as a carrier for the honey. Hell, why not just eat the honey with a spoon??? I do... :)

The reason why Nyquil works is because it helps you rest. Which is exactly what you need when you're sick. You got sick because your body is weak. This is a sign. Usually a sign that we are doing too much and pushing our bodies too hard. Heed the warning... :)

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Make yourself a big bowl of green salad ~ lots of herbs is good. Sage tea is absolutely the best, drink as much of that as possible, with your echinechea...

6. Midget

Midget Senior Member

OK, I'm curious...what's up with sage tea? What's so great about it? What's it do for your body? I've seen people mention it here and there...